Very little brake pedal (rear) - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mountains View Post
As far as stopping by.....yeah well it is only 1,100 miles as I live in central Illinois. Appreciate it though.
We all ride FJRs. 1100 miles is . . . in the neighborhood.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'd stick with DOT4 and flush annually.. you won't have to worry about boiling.
2mountains and RERJr like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'd like to add my .02 Recently my rear brake pedal was acting weird, with a bad feel... It turned out to be a very dry pivot shaft, the shaft with the splines that the pedal mounts to. I was able to work some lube into the hole without taking it all apart by just moving the shaft back and forth... Wow what a difference that made! The pedal feel is very precise now. I repeatedly apologize to my motorcycle for overlooking that aspect of maintenance...

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-64 View Post
I'd like to add my .02 Recently my rear brake pedal was acting weird, with a bad feel... It turned out to be a very dry pivot shaft, the shaft with the splines that the pedal mounts to. I was able to work some lube into the hole without taking it all apart by just moving the shaft back and forth... Wow what a difference that made! The pedal feel is very precise now. I repeatedly apologize to my motorcycle for overlooking that aspect of maintenance...
I disassembled, scotchbrite polished and reassembled with some YamaLube... That made a big difference, like you said.

I treated her to a warm bath, gentle towel dry, wax, and some additional lube...
H20man likes this.

If its got teats or tires, your bound to have trouble with it...
Yamaha 07' 1300-AW
Yamaha 79' XS1100-SF

Kurt
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:21 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Sounds very much like the same problem I had. I posted on 4/30/19 regarding this. My back brake works better than ever.

Bill P.
2008 FJR1300 abs
1980 XS650 Special II
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
We all ride FJRs. 1100 miles is . . . in the neighborhood.
Agree! Thanks
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-64 View Post
Yeah, had the same thing happen out in the middle of nowhere. Pull in to fuel up and someone pulled up to me and said my brake light was staying on. Turns out the pedal was sticking down a little, enough to activate the brake light. A little WD40 at the time and some further maintenance after back home. Unfortunately, it is going to be a little deeper than that and I have not got around to fixing yet because of lack of time.

Thanks.....!
rbentnail likes this.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:59 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Maybe what we need is a Practical Maintenance Schedule... kinda re-write of the Yamaha recommended service intervals. These brake, ground spider, etc. issues keep coming up over and over and are so preventable.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Maybe what we need is a Practical Maintenance Schedule... kinda re-write of the Yamaha recommended service intervals. These brake, ground spider, etc. issues keep coming up over and over and are so preventable.
IMHO people are too anal about the book-driven schedules and torque values for something like this to be valuable. If each person did his/her/its own based on the style, mileage, etc. that would be a good start.

I have also gotten a very good idea lately why there is NEPRT over yonder......

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:34 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I'd also get a new piston and seal kit for the rear master cylinder. If the seal has perished fluid will bypass it and your pressures will equalise, ie fade. And check the cylinder walls are not corroded. It's a decade old, worth replacing anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page