S6 Spider bite - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

S6 Spider bite

Just got bit yesterday. High beam indicator on with turn signal indicators. Yep, thanks to research done on the other FJR site, I knew exactly what to do and take the left faring off and solder that sucker! Thanks mcatrophy!!

I thought my inspection of all spiders and applying electrical contact grease would have prevented this, but NO!
I believe even a clean connection is just not good enough and these connectors are just not rated for the amperage of 22+ amps!!

Do all of yourselves a favor and cut these buggers off and solder them up now! I also crimped on a solder-less cap as you should not rely just on solder for the reasons of heat. You do not want to have your lights and engine cut out on a dark country road.

I did have the S6 Yamaha recall done, but they need to address the S6 and probably all of them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_DSCF5529_ar.JPG (52.9 KB, 26 views)

MA South coast rider
2006 FJR1300AE another legend of Yamaha
XS850SG (just sold this restored classic w/ 50K)
other than acid drips on electrical connectors and lousy brake lines, great shaftie of its time!
'82 Virago (not Yammies best work) sold
'78 XS 400 Special (great starter bike!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You are correct the small gauge wires cannot handle all of the current when at high loads. S4 and S6 most prone, the others, meh. One can get the mating connectors and make your own jumper to a solid ground with a more appropriate gauge wire, if not melted down.
Soldering them together means connecting 6 small gauge wires, which still leaves you with the high current travelling through one of them. While you're doing that, best solder in a good wire in at the same time... I'd say 12 ga. minimum. In other words, doing the same as the connector fix, but soldering instead of a connector.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:01 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Additional info, the connector you need is a Sumitomo MT-090 6-way, available at Eastern Beaver or Cycle Terminal. Crimp in 6 - 16ga wires (bigger if it fits), take the 6 to a butt connector, crimp on and then a 10 ga, solder all that, take the 10ga to a ground point with the appropriate eye crimped/soldered on. Option 1, don't get the 6-way, remove the OEM, strip/crimp on the butt connector, 10 ga., etc. Option 2, with the 6-way, take all 6 - 16 ga to the ground point, crimp and solder on the appropriate eye (yellow ones take up to 10 ga, remove yellow plastic). Heat shrink/tape as appropriate.

Ray

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

That's pretty much the same as what my electrical tech did for my spider bite, but as he explained it to me, there is 5 earth wires coming in and only 1 grounding wire going to the main earthing wire. The 1 grounding wire was changed from a point 75mm wire to a 2mm wire allowing it to carry 4times the amperage, and I agree with you Ray, all those ground connects should be pulled out and soldering joints put in, end of problem.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

From this diagram, it shows the load from S7 + S8 is passed on to S6, so it makes sense to address S6 and S4 with their own grounds that can handle all that.

Ray
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I say again, the problem I had was not the ampacity of the wire. It was the corrosion of the spider jumper itself that led to to increased resistance and thus overheating. Snipping off the spider & soldering the wires together solves the problem, plain and simple. No need for additional grounds. And IMHO replacing a spider with a grounded spider simply delays the inevitable.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...ome-roost.html

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

This is when I wishes I new more than how to plug something in the wall

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page