"Time-2" or "Time-3" to display - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

"Time-2" or "Time-3" to display

I'm trying to get "Time-2" or "Time-3" to display on one of the three display choices on my 2016. Seems the only "Time" I can display is the current one - the current time the ignition has been turned on, whereas as what I would like is to see the cumulative time since my last reset (e.g. total trip time for multiple days) which is what I understand "Time-2" or "Time-3" are. Can this be done, and if so how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's in the Owner's Manual (mine, 4-16, 4-1. While displaying the Time2 and Time3, press the Reset button once to select which one (will flash) and hit Reset again for a couple of seconds, and it will zero.
This counts time of ignition on, and will roll over to zero once 99:59 takes place. To exit, press Menu then shut off the key.
This does not count stopped time, no ignition. If you have a Zumo GPS, such stats are recorded, average speed, etc. until you reset them.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yes, thanks, I found that info. What I'm trying to do however is to get either to display on one of the screens accessable while riding, not just when editing the menu.

Current: 2016 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
Previous: 2006 Kawasaki Concours
Previous: 1989 Suzuki GS850G

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Not possible that I'm aware of.......

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nschloss View Post
Yes, thanks, I found that info. What I'm trying to do however is to get either to display on one of the screens accessable while riding, not just when editing the menu.
Out of curiosity, why is it more important to know the total trip or daily trip time while in motion? Rather than the current time on each "leg" between fuel stops?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

I wish it had that feature. Sometimes I will be doing a local loop and if I stop for gas it stops timing the loop. Or I'd like to know how much riding time it has taken me to get to a certain destination, say leaving Cincy and headed to Robbinsville, but I stop for gas once and stop for lunch. I mean it's not a huge deal, but the info would be nice. Better than knowing it's been 56 minutes since the ignition was turned off and back on. As is it's useless info to me so I don't even bother using that feature anymore.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I wish it had that feature. Sometimes I will be doing a local loop and if I stop for gas it stops timing the loop. Or I'd like to know how much riding time it has taken me to get to a certain destination, say leaving Cincy and headed to Robbinsville, but I stop for gas once and stop for lunch. I mean it's not a huge deal, but the info would be nice. Better than knowing it's been 56 minutes since the ignition was turned off and back on. As is it's useless info to me so I don't even bother using that feature anymore.
The time 2 & 3 can be used for "daily", "total trip" or whatever you want to track based on how long the key has been on, and reset-able as such. You just have to perform a few more clicks to see and reset in the menu. I do understand that it is a little more work to get to. But not much more work than re-setting trip miles.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for confirming guys - I'll just dig deeper for the info 🙂.
Agree with the above posters as well - I was just on a multi-day trip and was interested to know my saddle time for each day and the whole trip.

Current: 2016 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
Previous: 2006 Kawasaki Concours
Previous: 1989 Suzuki GS850G
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

[quote=RaYzerman;1220729]

This counts time of ignition on ......This does not count stopped time, no ignition.

Exactly. If ignition is off, it quits keeping track of your trip. Then starts counting at 0:00 all over again, when the ignition is turned back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Out of curiosity, why is it more important to know the total trip or daily trip time while in motion? Rather than the current time on each "leg" between fuel stops?
I'm curious to know why you would want to know how long it takes you to go between gas stops in the same day? Or between a gas stop and lunch? Or between a gas stop and a scenic overlook you stop for? What value is that info?

I think what the OP is saying (and myself) is that I'd rather take off in the morning and ride someplace (regardless of stops in between) and be able to push a button and have it say it took me 5 hrs and 23 minutes to ride down here today. Or I was on the road for 12 hours 32 minutes and rode 698 miles today (when used in conjunction with one of the trip meters)

Just a matter of how you'd prefer your information. The way it is now, is of no use to me at all, so I just don't bother with it.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 09:49 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

[quote=the Ferret;1221393]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post

This counts time of ignition on ......This does not count stopped time, no ignition.

Exactly. If ignition is off, it quits keeping track of your trip. Then starts counting at 0:00 all over again, when the ignition is turned back on.

I'm curious to know why you would want to know how long it takes you to go between gas stops in the same day? Or between a gas stop and lunch? Or between a gas stop and a scenic overlook you stop for? What value is that info?

I think what the OP is saying (and myself) is that I'd rather take off in the morning and ride someplace (regardless of stops in between) and be able to push a button and have it say it took me 5 hrs and 23 minutes to ride down here today. Or I was on the road for 12 hours 32 minutes and rode 698 miles today (when used in conjunction with one of the trip meters)

Just a matter of how you'd prefer your information. The way it is now, is of no use to me at all, so I just don't bother with it.
I get why the time between stops is irrelevant to most people. I can also see where it could be useful to persons doing a timed event, like a CC50, to know if they are keeping pace between planned stops.

I'm actually pleased it is automatic reset. Because I'm forgetful with short term stuff. It is very easy to lose track of time while enjoying a ride, and there is a medical need to stop on a timely basis.

Much easier for me to glance down and know how long since my last stop, rather than remembering what time it was at my last stop. Or, having to remember to reset the timer.

I was just wondering how seeing the total day/trip time prior to the end of the day is used while riding/in motion? As opposed to looking at it at the end of the day/trip with a few clicks?

I'm assuming it boils down to some would prefer to manually reset the "Time 1" that is displayed, rather than it being automatically reset with the ignition switch. And not desiring the extra clicks to go into the menu to look at, then reset the total time on 2 or 3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page