Anyone try a WPS battery? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have had a Shorai for five years now. I wasn't sure about it at first. I tried to kill mine by leaving the headlights on twice on a trip to Montana back in 2015. But I am pretty sure any issues I had after was with my 09 FJR's bad charging system (a somewhat common issue) before I fixed it.

But I am a believer now. That old battery cranks the starter FAST. Much more so than my other FJRs with normal batteries. The Phoenix heat hasn't killed it. The few times I have had to do cold starts I have had no issues. But I don't do those that often.

I recently put it in my 04 FJR and it starts so much better now. The cheap replacement AGM battery I put in my 09 I have not been impressed with. I have not had good luck with cheaper $60 replacement batteries over the years. Sometimes they last only a year or two. From now on I will only buy Shorai. Though based on above I will also look into the other one with the protection circuits.

Purveyor of crooked facts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I've used them for years and will never go back to old-school batteries:
1) very light.
2) more CCA than other batteries.
3) disconnect the leads and they will stay fully charged for about a year...no tender required.
Cheers!
Lodo
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Farkle Trainee

I put Shorai batteries in two of my bikes a couple of years ago. One of the bikes I only had a few months after that. The other, my Panigale, I still have. It has been flawless, even when the bike did not get ridden for eight weeks after open heart surgery nearly a year ago. I did not put it on a tender and the bike started right up.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveTechInc View Post
I wish that I could have experienced even half the success that I see many of you have had with the Lithium batteries in your FJR's. I have had nothing but problems in mine, costing me close to $1000, much of it, probably, needlessly, and due to a learning curve. I purchased an '08 FJR1300 from a friend of mine to replace my FJ1200, which I had experienced great success using a Shorai Lithium Battery. I sold the FJ1200 with a 3 year old Shorai Luthium Battery in it that still started the bike without any issues. The only accessories that I had installed on my FJ1200 was a GPS and a USB phone charger. I would leave the bike stored in my garage for two weeks at a time without starting it, or attaching a Shorai charger, and it would still crank over and start. Of course, if I did not run the fuel through the carbs before three weeks was up, then, I had issues with them gumming up.

The problems with my '08 FJR1300 AXCB just seem to be well beyond any prior experience that I have had with any of the other Lithium batteries I have installed in any of my other bikes or quads. I replaced the battery in my FJR1300 when it died, with the recommended Shorai Lithium battery because I wanted to not only decrease the top-heavy weight, but be able to start my bike quicker, while also experiencing the additional benefits of Lithium batteries. I also reconnected the USB Phone charger that I was using with the original AGM battery that came with it when I bought it. When I was not riding it, I would connect the Shorai battery tender. I quickly found that if I left the tender off for three days or more, the battery would not start my bike. I continued to ride it for about thirty days, but it came to a point where, even after leaving the tender charging overnight, by the end of the next day, if I made 5 stops, then the bike would either not start for the sixth time, or turn over a couple of times, and then it would not start. If I charged it overnight again, it would always start the next morning and for approximately another 5-6 times.

I checked the charging system and it was not charging, so I took the bike to my mechanic to check, and he had to replace the regulator. I also had him confirm that the alternator was charging sufficiently and he said that it was, but after another 30 days, the same thing started occurring again. This time, we found that the Shorai Lithium battery had gone bad, which Shorai replaced under warranty. I replaced the battery and commenced to connecting the tender every night, but after another month and a half, the same thing started occurring again. Once again, the NEW regulator had failed. So after replacing two voltage regulators, two Shorai Lithium batteries, and the mechanics charges, I decided that I would replace the Battery with a high output AGM, which has worked fine since its installation.

I did some research and talked to a few motorcycle mechanics and other Lithium battery manufacturers and was told that Lithium batteries do not like the parasitic draw of even a USB charger connected to them when the bike is sitting, but I am not an engineer, so that may be open for further discussion. I had two parasitic draws connected to my '08 FJR1300 in addition to the computer and clock, one in the fairing storage compartment connected to the cigarette lighter outlet, and one connected directly to the battery that was routed to my phone mount on the handle bars.

Before swapping out the the Shorai battery, I did try disconnecting both phone and GPS chargers, but even after 5-6 days sitting, the battery would not start the bike, even with a NEW regulator and a NEW battery. I do not know if the clock or other circuitry in the gauge panel draws enough current to drain the Lithium battery in the same, but slower, manner that the USB chargers do, but I am just at wits end.

I have become highly disillusioned with Lithium batteries at the moment, since I am really tired of getting stranded, and have consoled myself with the fact that this '08 FJR may just be stuck with the sealed AGM battery. Maybe my bike is too old and the parasitic draw is more than with the newer FJR's, I do not know.

If anyone else has any input, please let me know. Any and all comments welcome!!
All bikes have parasitic loses. It sounds to me like you have something else going on. Both bikes I put Shorai batteries on had/have similar things hooked to the battery as you do, and I have never put them on a tender....not once. And zero problems.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks, Jim. That has been my experience in the past as well, but this bike just seems to have something that neither myself, nor the past three mechanics can find. I was just hoping for someone else to provide insight, or have had a similar issue. Next thing is to replace the entire Alternator and not just the stator, which has been replaced once already. Maybe there is a stator available that can output more power than the stock one, that might help? Anyone have any additional info?

JRH
SoCal - Surf City USA
2008 FJR1300AXCB
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZappo View Post
A USB charger is such a small draw, it should not bother any battery. Unless you are charging some high draw item off of it constantly.
That is as broad an inaccurate of a statement as “synthetic motor oil”.

No doubt there are well designed “USB chargers” which do as you say but what vendor bothers? USB chargers are bought by vendors based on price and the ability to function at least long enough for the customer to get out of the parking lot.

Mine is on the switched power outlet in left front fairing pocket.
Please insert the word "generally" in front of my original statement.

Generally, a USB will not draw down a full battery quickly. Therefore, you may have some underlying other issue.

And "if" you have a crappy chinesium USB thingie it could be one of the root causes I was referring to.

And as was pointed out, it is a better idea to use a relay to make these additional potential loads switched so they can not become a problem if their resting load profile is unknown or if the bike sits for a longer time than expected.

And by all means please double check that synthetic oil. If it is group 3 it could also drain power via non synthetic molecular suction. Group 4 true ester based oils have additives to counteract this phenomenon.
passx likes this.

Workin' them angels overtime ...
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Mr. Zappo, are you implying there is a USB charger that is not made in Chinal LOL?
Truth is they are a transformer which has a load that might equal the normal parasitic draw of the FJR... I agree any extra device should have a switch or optionally be powered with ignition on.
N4HHE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:01 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Question Disconnecting Battery while storing, Connecting to switched power

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZappo View Post
Sure, you still have something wrong with either your charging system or how your accessories are connected.

A USB charger is such a small draw, it should not bother any battery. Unless you are charging some high draw item off of it constantly.

But the fact that you have had continued issues with a system that is generally bulletproof suggests that you or your mechanic has never found the root cause.

Try disconnecting the battery the next time you are going to let the bike sit for a while. Then reconnect it. I bet it starts fine.

Your issue isn't with lithium batteries.

My 2 cents. Worth about 1.
I will try this and see what happens. I am inclined to agree with you that the battery will be fine and start the bike, I am just not sure where else to look for any additional draws. I have everything disconnected at this point, except the normal instrument cluster. I even disconnect the USB phone charger that is directly connected to the battery when I am only making short trips.

I was just beginning to think that the Gen II models had something different than the Gen I and III models. I am going to test with the AGM battery that I recently purchased first without connecting the battery tender and see if it will continue to start the bike.

Thanks for the additional suggestion.

One thing I would like to know is where would I connect the USB phone charger to for switched ignition power without affecting the starting and other normal functions of the bike?
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Many use a small USB charger that plugs right into the cigar outlet in the glove box, or in my case, a fuse panel that has both switched and unswitched circuits. My always on USB charger has a switch to turn it on/off.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:07 PM
Training wheels fitted!

What is your voltage at the battery with the engine running? Engine cold, it should be 14.0 - 14.2v.

I had a problem with my 09, that is not uncommon. Not sure if it applies to other Gen II. The connector for the main wiring from the regulator to the battery goes bad slowly over time. The solution is to bypass it with another wire.

I did not have a voltage meter on this FJR so I never saw the charging voltage slowly dropping. I started having battery issues before I figured out that they were never really getting the charging current they needed. I had the dealer check it out and of course they said it was perfectly fine. It wasn't. Once I found out what the root cause was from research on the forums and made the repair, all has been good for several years now.

Purveyor of crooked facts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page