Anyone try a WPS battery? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:06 AM
Farkle Trainee

One thing - a "normal" battery tender sometimes produces high voltage spikes to avoid (I don't remember what kind of) problems with led acid batteries. Be sure the battery tender you use DOES NOT do that if you run a lithium battery.

I bought a lithium last year. No problems, so far...

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

So Rich, what P/N earthX battery are you using and where did you get it from?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
So Rich, what P/N earthX battery are you using and where did you get it from?
Based on their website the only model fitting my 2016 is ETX18B. $219... not cheap for sure.

2016 FJR1300A

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlson View Post
Based on their website the only model fitting my 2016 is ETX18B. $219... not cheap for sure.
Yep, ETX18B. They do make some larger ones, but the physical dimensions don't work out. Bought it directly from the manufacturer. And yes, not cheap. About the cost of a windshield (I have five - the never-ending quest)
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:47 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Exclamation My experience with Lithium batteries and my '08 FJR and '89 FJ1200

I wish that I could have experienced even half the success that I see many of you have had with the Lithium batteries in your FJR's. I have had nothing but problems in mine, costing me close to $1000, much of it, probably, needlessly, and due to a learning curve. I purchased an '08 FJR1300 from a friend of mine to replace my FJ1200, which I had experienced great success using a Shorai Lithium Battery. I sold the FJ1200 with a 3 year old Shorai Luthium Battery in it that still started the bike without any issues. The only accessories that I had installed on my FJ1200 was a GPS and a USB phone charger. I would leave the bike stored in my garage for two weeks at a time without starting it, or attaching a Shorai charger, and it would still crank over and start. Of course, if I did not run the fuel through the carbs before three weeks was up, then, I had issues with them gumming up.

The problems with my '08 FJR1300 AXCB just seem to be well beyond any prior experience that I have had with any of the other Lithium batteries I have installed in any of my other bikes or quads. I replaced the battery in my FJR1300 when it died, with the recommended Shorai Lithium battery because I wanted to not only decrease the top-heavy weight, but be able to start my bike quicker, while also experiencing the additional benefits of Lithium batteries. I also reconnected the USB Phone charger that I was using with the original AGM battery that came with it when I bought it. When I was not riding it, I would connect the Shorai battery tender. I quickly found that if I left the tender off for three days or more, the battery would not start my bike. I continued to ride it for about thirty days, but it came to a point where, even after leaving the tender charging overnight, by the end of the next day, if I made 5 stops, then the bike would either not start for the sixth time, or turn over a couple of times, and then it would not start. If I charged it overnight again, it would always start the next morning and for approximately another 5-6 times.

I checked the charging system and it was not charging, so I took the bike to my mechanic to check, and he had to replace the regulator. I also had him confirm that the alternator was charging sufficiently and he said that it was, but after another 30 days, the same thing started occurring again. This time, we found that the Shorai Lithium battery had gone bad, which Shorai replaced under warranty. I replaced the battery and commenced to connecting the tender every night, but after another month and a half, the same thing started occurring again. Once again, the NEW regulator had failed. So after replacing two voltage regulators, two Shorai Lithium batteries, and the mechanics charges, I decided that I would replace the Battery with a high output AGM, which has worked fine since its installation.

I did some research and talked to a few motorcycle mechanics and other Lithium battery manufacturers and was told that Lithium batteries do not like the parasitic draw of even a USB charger connected to them when the bike is sitting, but I am not an engineer, so that may be open for further discussion. I had two parasitic draws connected to my '08 FJR1300 in addition to the computer and clock, one in the fairing storage compartment connected to the cigarette lighter outlet, and one connected directly to the battery that was routed to my phone mount on the handle bars.

Before swapping out the the Shorai battery, I did try disconnecting both phone and GPS chargers, but even after 5-6 days sitting, the battery would not start the bike, even with a NEW regulator and a NEW battery. I do not know if the clock or other circuitry in the gauge panel draws enough current to drain the Lithium battery in the same, but slower, manner that the USB chargers do, but I am just at wits end.

I have become highly disillusioned with Lithium batteries at the moment, since I am really tired of getting stranded, and have consoled myself with the fact that this '08 FJR may just be stuck with the sealed AGM battery. Maybe my bike is too old and the parasitic draw is more than with the newer FJR's, I do not know.

If anyone else has any input, please let me know. Any and all comments welcome!!
N4HHE likes this.

Last edited by WaveTechInc; 08-02-2019 at 11:52 PM.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
Sure, you still have something wrong with either your charging system or how your accessories are connected.

A USB charger is such a small draw, it should not bother any battery. Unless you are charging some high draw item off of it constantly.

But the fact that you have had continued issues with a system that is generally bulletproof suggests that you or your mechanic has never found the root cause.

Try disconnecting the battery the next time you are going to let the bike sit for a while. Then reconnect it. I bet it starts fine.

Your issue isn't with lithium batteries.

My 2 cents. Worth about 1.
rogerf and Dubfjr like this.

Workin' them angels overtime ...
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

WaveTech, the FJR has a parasitic draw of about 20mah normally. I do recommend everyone have a voltmeter on their bike, one that can be switched on without the ignition key so you can see the state of charge at rest/no lights on, etc. An AGM battery is at 50% charge at 12.5V per Yuasa's tech manual, and one is not supposed to let an AGM go below that very many times or sulphation begins.. it will, thus some smart chargers have a "desulphation mode" (Battery Tender does). Basically, increase that parasitic draw by having an always on voltmeter and/or USB charger. On 2 bikes, I have a combo unit that is switched, and if I leave it on... it only takes a few days to draw the battery down (USB charger actually draws more than you'd like). Some GPS's constantly charge their internal battery even when off, so if yours does, best take it out of the cradle if your power supply is wired to be always on (mine is).

Battery Tender makes a plug-in voltmeter with an SAE socket so you can plug it in any time to see current voltage.

Lithiums can pack more capacity in per cubic inch, have to be treated differently, and if it doesn't have circuitry to shut down before killing it (I don't think Shorai does), it may not recover from full discharge. I do think the newer other brand lithiums are better, and it is best to use their charger (no desulphation mode), although it confuses me a little since the voltage most charging systems puts out (FJR ~14.5) is similar to desulphation mode.

The FJR needs to have a battery in top notch shape, as certain things happen if a minimum voltage isn't there. If you're having issues, best test what your particular parasitic draw is and find the offending component and take appropriate measures. The FJ1200 likely didn't have much of a parasitic draw at all, most older bikes didn't have all the electronics to keep alive when ignition off.

Reading material....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yuasa TechMan.pdf (1.44 MB, 3 views)

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My .02 ,

I’m wanting to replace my oe battery when it dies with a lithium because of the weight being up high would be a real benefit. But i’m Not sure that currently lithium batteries are yet ready for prime time much like the replacement LED headlights. They’ve made great strides but i’m Not sure they’re there yet. When the oe battery gets to replacement time i’ll Re-evaluate then.

As an addition here I have a good friend who is a very good EE who is a big triumph fan with his current ride a Trophy 1200, and parking it next to my 14 Fjr (the fastest color) you start to see a lot of things that are the same like the brakes & clutch which are the exact same, this extends to the battery as well with the trophy carrying the exact same battery in the exact same spot but i’ll add that the trophy has a lot more electronics and is physically a much larger bike. Anyway my friend has had his lithium for almost 3 years now with nothing but glowing recommendations for his lithium which I believe but not sure is a shorai , he claims a very noticeable reduction in the top heaviness as well.

I’m really on the fence here, I do keep my bike(s) on a battery tender as I have a gang charger and I believe it is part of why my 81 cbx’s AGM battery is 10-12yrs old and still healthy. I have been a huge AGM battery fan (Deka) for years and have them in most of my stuff with great results. Not at all like the 1-2yr replacement cycle with a standard battery.

If Yamaha had mounted the fjr’s battery in a better place (lower) then I wouldn’t Even consider a lithium, although lighter is faster, anyway that’s my thoughts on it.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 08-03-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The red bikes need something to lighten them up so they can keep up. If you take care of an AGM no reason they won't go 5+ years, but we say typically 5 years for a lead acid type. If I lived in IN, and going lithium, I would go the biggest one that will fit in the box, or say 18Ah. Hopefully the better brands are better in the cold, for that reason I'd shy away from Shorai. You'll just have to do your homework and pick what works for you. Rich is having good luck with the EarthX....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:06 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZappo View Post
A USB charger is such a small draw, it should not bother any battery. Unless you are charging some high draw item off of it constantly.
That is as broad an inaccurate of a statement as “synthetic motor oil”.

No doubt there are well designed “USB chargers” which do as you say but what vendor bothers? USB chargers are bought by vendors based on price and the ability to function at least long enough for the customer to get out of the parking lot.

Mine is on the switched power outlet in left front fairing pocket.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page