• 3 Post By jjscsix
  • 1 Post By Steve Bracken
  • 1 Post By N4HHE
  • 3 Post By Blueridgerider

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Loose Head Bearings

I recently had a set of All Balls installed which fixed the wobble. Now when I tap the brakes at slow speeds especially coming to a stop it feels loose. I am wondering if they did not properly torque something. It was fine for a couple hundred miles now is very noticeable. On a trip and am hoping it will be ok until I get back. Thoughts? Thanks

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
I recently had a set of All Balls installed which fixed the wobble. Now when I tap the brakes at slow speeds especially coming to a stop it feels loose. I am wondering if they did not properly torque something. It was fine for a couple hundred miles now is very noticeable. On a trip and am hoping it will be ok until I get back. Thoughts? Thanks
I had to (as many others have) retorque after a couple hundred miles.
passx, N4HHE and Blueridgerider like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks for the reply. Still have a few hundred miles left before I get back. Rides fine it’s just at slow speeds braking its feels pretty clunky. Think I am ok until I get back?

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:38 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Still have a few hundred miles left before I get back. Rides fine it’s just at slow speeds braking its feels pretty clunky. Think I am ok until I get back?
Put it on the center-stand and check. If you can feel any play, pop into the nearest bike shop and have them torqued. Doesn't take but a few minutes.

If they really were loose enough to feel, it wouldn't be steering okay though.
Blueridgerider likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
I think you'll be fine until you get home.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think the tapered bearings are very tolerant of being loose without wobble.

If you have a 36mm socket to get the big nut off you could tweak the bearing preload with a pair of slipjoint pliers. The 13 lbf-ft spec isn't written on a tablet handed to Moses. Probably best to use torque wrench for initial install but for tuneup just lift the front wheel from under the engine and adjust just short of too tight binding the steering.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Last edited by N4HHE; 08-01-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: s/table/tablet/
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post

If you have a 36mm socket to get the big nut off you could tweak the bearing preload with a pair of slipjoint pliers. The 13 lbf-ft spec isn't written on a table handed to Moses. Probably best to use torque wrench for initial install but for tuneup just lift the front wheel from under the engine and adjust just short of too tight binding the steering.
Or the much acclaimed hammer and screwdriver method

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:11 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post

If you have a 36mm socket to get the big nut off you could tweak the bearing preload with a pair of slipjoint pliers. The 13 lbf-ft spec isn't written on a table handed to Moses. Probably best to use torque wrench for initial install but for tuneup just lift the front wheel from under the engine and adjust just short of too tight binding the steering.
Just remember that tapered bearings do not want pre-load.

5 ft lbs is enough, and that's not much more than hand-tight. (Depending on your hands, of course)

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:34 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
Just remember that tapered bearings do not want pre-load.
That is not true. We preload tapered wheel bearings in cars and trailers. The basics are the same, ball or roller. The preload crushes the ball, roller, and race, just a bit but not permanent deformation. Do not want so much as to bind requiring excessive steering force. But need preload to compensate for some of the load forces encountered in use which will compress one side momentarily to leave the other side slack.

Quote:
5 ft lbs is enough, and that's not much more than hand-tight. (Depending on your hands, of course)
Last time in there I used my spanner adapter and found a good hand tight snug with no other tool or lever was in the 5-8 lbf-ft range. Was looking to see if I could establish a “no torque wrench” procedure.

But also find this is one of those things which is awfully hard to measure. “Torque wrench says 12 but nut is still turning and needle isn’t moving up very fast.” There may be 1/4 to 1/3rd turn of uncertainty as to just where the proper preload really is. That is why a sanity check is needed before buttoning things up. Make sure it is not binding. But better yet tighten a bit, wiggle bars, tighten some more, wiggle bars. Repeat. Stop when additional friction is added. Maybe even back off. But on new installation a bit tight might be best because it will loosen a in the next 600 miles.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out when I was away. By the time I got home from 600 miles in the mountains the front end was very loose and clunky. I had purchased the spanner wrench in advance so went right to it when I got home. The video from Two Wheel Obsession was a big help and made the job easy. I can't ever say I trust these mechanics working on my bikes these days. One forgot to tighten the pinch bolts after replacing the front tire, I mean they were just sitting in the holes not even finger tight and I swear the All Balls were not torqued properly by the second place I took it. Everything was extremely loose when I followed the video to tighten them. The video said pre tighten to 37 then back off and retorque to 13. I did that and took the bike out for a ride. It has never felt this good and the wobble is history. Again thanks to all who responded.
rbentnail, N4HHE and Steve Bracken like this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page