Heat Off the Engine - Hot Seat - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 11:40 AM
Training wheels fitted!

�� I’ll fit similar soon and report back.
It’s definitely a case of redirecting the heat elsewhere.
I’m surprised there isn’t an after market kit to duct and vent the heat out of the side screen .
J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
It's hot, I live with it.

I have the heat-fixes in place and they don't fix the heat.

At normal ambient temperatures, it's okay, but once the heat gets much above 90F the heat is hard to escape. I haven't yet been for a long ride on the '06, but I expect it to be better.
Steve, did you flush and refill your coolant? It's the one thing I have on my list to do, and about the only thing I have seen that folks said they did notice a small drop in the amount of heat.

Thanks
david
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxcat34 View Post
Took an FJR1300 2005 ABS for a ride yesterday and experienced a very hot ride. A lot of heat at the gas tank and right under the seat. The weather was 85 degrees out...not too hot. After 30 minutes ride, the temperature, at the seat and gas tank was too uncomfortable and was roasting the peanuts. The bike is a beast that wants to roar, but, it's too hot for comfort! My friend owns this bike and would like to sell it to Me for a reasonable price. He offered another test ride for today, however, the sun is out and will be 95 degree today. Not sure I want to sit on top of the campfire heat coming off the tank/seat. Previous owner before him wrapped the exhaust pipes with fiber thermal wrap at the engine. There is a thermal blanket under the gas tank.

Is this challenge familiar to anyone? Any suggestions for a remedy or is this the heat that comes with the horse power? I live in the Pacific Northwest. Could imagine tolerating this in South. Something seems off by this much heat at the seat.

Thank you for your help...
I purchased my '05 a month ago now, and noticed it does get a little warm, but not too bad. As others have already pointed out, I will add my plan of attack. I am going to go ahead and do a coolant flush and refill as mine has 43k on it and probably never been done. Going to install the layer under the gas tank to help with fuel to help potentially lower the fuel temps.

Now the biggest thing I am looking to do is purchase a Calsci windscreen. They make a polycarbonate windshield with a cut out down low that eliminates the back pressure created by a solid windshield. Think of semi aerodynamics, there is a back pressure created on the rear of the trailer where the wind just stays at the backside swirling drawing in the air from the top and sides. It is the same thing we experience on motorcycles with solid windshields. With the back pressure eliminated (speaking from what I have read others saying about the Calsci shield from other places not here) it will be a noticeably quieter ride, no chest buffeting from the air swirling around between the shield and body, and they noticed much less heat being drawn back to the body. Prices start at $200.

I will be ordering one, but I need to get the maintenance caught up on this bike to ease my mind of knowing where it is at, ie... cct replaced, valve check, throttle body resynch for the motor portion of what I'm doing.

https://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJR1300prod.html

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 09:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scottorn View Post
�� Iíll fit similar soon and report back.
Itís definitely a case of redirecting the heat elsewhere.
Iím surprised there isnít an after market kit to duct and vent the heat out of the side screen .
J.

There were some floating around but buying a roll of rock wool or that foil/bubble stuff is cheap and both can easily be hand-cut. You can do a half dozen or more FJRs for the cost of 1 kit.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page