Heat Off the Engine - Hot Seat - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Even in the UK (yes it does get stupidly hot here sometimes) my 05 gets hot, ive even seen it melting the grease in the head bearings! You can see the top seal weeping on a really hot day. I dont know the answer other than wire in a manual switch to the fan to keep the bike cooler in trafic.

I also have a 99 R1 and that was even worse than my 05 FJR in the traffic, but there is a mod and its as simple as replacing the fan sender switch for one out a Honda Accord (yea i know) but it drops the fan cut in from 105 deg to 91 deg so the bike stays so much cooler. The cooling fan is on a lot more but the bike is so much cooler - even the frame is noticeably cooler.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The heat off the different gens of FJRs is a constant (between like generations) yet the complaints of heat aren't constant. The variable? The rider.
the Ferret likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:38 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have the 2002 and ride in hot conditions at times in Australia.

It is fine when I am wearing my leathers (don't notice at all), but if I do a ride in Jeans then I absolutely notice the heat on the tackle. The original owner even had it back to Yamaha to have the foil pieces glued to the underside of the tank, but I think this is doing very little.

God I'm gonna feel it when I ride to the Northern Territory I think....

Dave

2002 FJR1300

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
The heat off the different gens of FJRs is a constant (between like generations) yet the complaints of heat aren't constant. The variable? The rider.
I must be some kind of pansy then. The other day I must have caught the wind just right so that the heat was dumping out one side and directly onto my leg below the knee. I honestly thought that some how my bike was dumping hot oil onto my pant leg, good lord that thing pumps out heat. I've also had gas start to boil when I was out west in 90+ degree heat. I suspect I may have had a blocked vent line contributing to that as gas would end up seeping past the tank seal and soaking the bottom of my tank bag.

To combat the heat, I've pulled my windshield off the bike for the summer.

2004 FJR1300
2003 Triumph Speed 4
2002 SV650 (track bike)
1974 honda CL360
1972 yamaha R5 (long term custom project)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
This ^^^ is Truth. Gen1s are hotter than Gen2s and Gen2s are hotter than Gen3s. I would not call the Gen1 fairing a Poor Design because it was the technology available at the time. Yamaha learned and improved.

As @the Ferret said, the ST1300 guys are divided on the Heat Issue. And @bounce is exactly right, the difference is The Rider.

I had the ST1300 and the heat never bothered me. I did experience the boiling in the gas tank but it was at very high elevation in the Rockies and Pop's '07 FJR was doing it too. But only when we would stop the bikes.

I rode an Indian at a Demo Day a couple years ago and the rear cylinder head on the right side was burning my leg. I don't mean uncomfortable, I mean like frying bacon in a skillet. I was thrilled to park that thing and get back on my FJR to go home.

My daily driver recently has been my DR650. There is no fairing to direct wind flow and no radiator to disperse heat. There is a large, air cooled single with a large exposed exhaust pipe. The right side gets a bit warm in summertime traffic. But it's a motorcycle and MOTORS give off heat.
bounce and the Ferret like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

When you live where summers are hot, all bikes are hot in the summer and you learn to dress accordingly. Jeans don't cut it for deflecting heat or road rash.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 06:56 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Hi guys, Iím not in a hot environment here in the U.K. on my Gen.1 FJR, but my crotch really does get Ďsteamyí after half an hours riding.
Iíve adopted a knees out riding position to get cooler air down there but the thigh muscles do complain after a while and my pals I ride out with do take the proverbial out of my pose.
Lowering the screen does help too but are there any fairing modís to be done to ease the flow of hot air to the nether regions?
Thanks
John
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 08:57 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Hot seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Maxcat34,

You are not the first to notice the problem. If you Search, you can find many posts on each approach: left side heat fix, heat blanket, right side heat fix. The present heat blanket there may have slipped from the correct position. The right and left "fixes" are not the same. Each one is an improvement, but there is no complete answer. From the archives:

Left Side Fix:http://www.fjrowners.ws/forum/messag...tml?1063970531

Right Side Fix:http://www.fjrowners.ws/forum/messages/6/10235.html?

I do not have a Gen 1, so, no direct experience here. Best . . .
Hi Red
Iíve not been able to open the archived photos on your post, to better understand the additional diy parts made for shielding or redirecting heat away from the front of the seat of my Gen.1 fjr
Is this possible?
Thanks John
[email protected]
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

DIY insulation project. Started (as documented) with rock wool firewall insulation but later swapped out for that foil-like bubble wrap heat resistant stuff.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/insul/insul.html
John Scottorn likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 04:39 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scottorn View Post
Hi Red
Iíve not been able to open the archived photos on your post, to better understand the additional diy parts made for shielding or redirecting heat away from the front of the seat of my Gen.1 fjr Is this possible?
Thanks John
John,

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1265875-post5.html

I also got the links for the pix and put them in a post after that one.

John Scottorn likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page