06 AE sh_26 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

06 AE sh_26

So I go out to start the bike and get the code. Battery after a overnight battery tender plus charge says 12.4V then drops like 30 seconds to 12.2-12.1 (on a volt meter display PO installed). Yesterday I rode it and everything was perfectly fine. I get this at times but it’s becoming a persistent problem.

I thought maybe a weak battery is causing it as I’ve googled it. But the tender says it’s fully charged. Need some advice folks. Here is the last maintenance on the AE system does 1-19-19
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1563706077119.jpg (101.9 KB, 14 views)

2006 fjr1300 50k silver. Iron butt fuel tank, Led pods, Corbin heated seat, all the touring fixings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

12.1-12.4 is not a fully charged healthy battery. A fully charged 12v battery should ideally read 13.2v, @ 2.2v per cell with 6 cells in a 12v battery. That said a healthy battery at rest should read between 12.8 & the 13.2v ideally.

What is the sh_26 code read ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 07-21-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
12.1-12.4 is not a fully charged healthy battery. A fully charged 12v battery should ideally read 13.2v, @ 2.2v per cell with 6 cells in a 12v battery. That said a healthy battery at rest should read between 12.8 & the 13.2v ideally.

What is the sh_26 code read ?
So in my case seems my battery is toast? The most I got was 12.4 from overnight on the tender. It was reading done so seems itís no good. I donít understand ďwhat is the sh_26 code read ?Ē This is whatís displayed on the lcd next to the orange shift light.

2006 fjr1300 50k silver. Iron butt fuel tank, Led pods, Corbin heated seat, all the touring fixings.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

SH_26 is "abnormal clutch movement when ignition is turned on"...... most likely due to insufficient battery voltage, which perhaps drops much lower when ignition switched on. Yep, if those battery readings are correct, you need a new one. I would also go through the ground spiders, clean, coat with contact paste before re-assembling them. Never hurts to have those clean.
2GENAE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
SH_26 is "abnormal clutch movement when ignition is turned on"...... most likely due to insufficient battery voltage, which perhaps drops much lower when ignition switched on. Yep, if those battery readings are correct, you need a new one. I would also go through the ground spiders, clean, coat with contact paste before re-assembling them. Never hurts to have those clean.

Awesome thanks so much. I got a new one lined up for pick up tomorrow. They even said they would let me do the wetting with acid vs pre done from factory. If I recall itís pour in acid,once 100% of it is in, wait an hour, then trickle charge until full, watch to see if it gets hot.
RaYzerman likes this.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Some one on the fjr Facebook page said it may be the master cylinder and that the clutch basket/ plates may be weavy? Does this sound about right? Mine does nick off take off when cold but when warm silky smooth

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicywolf View Post
Awesome thanks so much. I got a new one lined up for pick up tomorrow. They even said they would let me do the wetting with acid vs pre done from factory. If I recall itís pour in acid,once 100% of it is in, wait an hour, then trickle charge until full, watch to see if it gets hot.
Pour in acid???? WTF. I haven't seen a wet battery since I had an old XS1100 back in the eighties. Surely they must have heard about sealed batteries by now???

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Do you have a write up or a diagram for what to check

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicywolf View Post
Awesome thanks so much. I got a new one lined up for pick up tomorrow. They even said they would let me do the wetting with acid vs pre done from factory. If I recall it’s pour in acid,once 100% of it is in, wait an hour, then trickle charge until full, watch to see if it gets hot.
Pour in acid???? WTF. I haven't seen a wet battery since I had an old XS1100 back in the eighties. Surely they must have heard about sealed batteries by now???
Today even Yuasa sells factory filled and dealer/customer filled agm battery. I prefer it since then I know the battery is fresh when I get it, and ensures it’s first charge is properly done.
RaYzerman likes this.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:09 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Do a search for ground spiders..... this is one of the threads
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...ome-roost.html

I like the Yuasa DIY fill as you know it is fresh. It is an AGM, after the electrolyte is absorbed, it looks like any other AGM. These ones are the aftermarket Yuasas made in PA. I have not tried the OEM GT14B4 GS (Partzilla $115) but might one day.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page