Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/)
-   FJR Technical (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/)
-   -   06 AE sh_26 (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/147613-06-ae-sh_26-a.html)

Spicywolf 07-21-2019 07:48 AM

06 AE sh_26

1 Attachment(s)
So I go out to start the bike and get the code. Battery after a overnight battery tender plus charge says 12.4V then drops like 30 seconds to 12.2-12.1 (on a volt meter display PO installed). Yesterday I rode it and everything was perfectly fine. I get this at times but it’s becoming a persistent problem.

I thought maybe a weak battery is causing it as I’ve googled it. But the tender says it’s fully charged. Need some advice folks. Here is the last maintenance on the AE system does 1-19-19

passx 07-21-2019 10:27 AM

12.1-12.4 is not a fully charged healthy battery. A fully charged 12v battery should ideally read 13.2v, @ 2.2v per cell with 6 cells in a 12v battery. That said a healthy battery at rest should read between 12.8 & the 13.2v ideally.

What is the sh_26 code read ?

Spicywolf 07-21-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passx (Post 1218751)
12.1-12.4 is not a fully charged healthy battery. A fully charged 12v battery should ideally read 13.2v, @ 2.2v per cell with 6 cells in a 12v battery. That said a healthy battery at rest should read between 12.8 & the 13.2v ideally.

What is the sh_26 code read ?

So in my case seems my battery is toast? The most I got was 12.4 from overnight on the tender. It was reading done so seems itís no good. I donít understand ďwhat is the sh_26 code read ?Ē This is whatís displayed on the lcd next to the orange shift light.

RaYzerman 07-21-2019 11:35 AM

SH_26 is "abnormal clutch movement when ignition is turned on"...... most likely due to insufficient battery voltage, which perhaps drops much lower when ignition switched on. Yep, if those battery readings are correct, you need a new one. I would also go through the ground spiders, clean, coat with contact paste before re-assembling them. Never hurts to have those clean.

Spicywolf 07-21-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaYzerman (Post 1218763)
SH_26 is "abnormal clutch movement when ignition is turned on"...... most likely due to insufficient battery voltage, which perhaps drops much lower when ignition switched on. Yep, if those battery readings are correct, you need a new one. I would also go through the ground spiders, clean, coat with contact paste before re-assembling them. Never hurts to have those clean.

Awesome thanks so much. I got a new one lined up for pick up tomorrow. They even said they would let me do the wetting with acid vs pre done from factory. If I recall itís pour in acid,once 100% of it is in, wait an hour, then trickle charge until full, watch to see if it gets hot.

Spicywolf 07-21-2019 06:44 PM

Some one on the fjr Facebook page said it may be the master cylinder and that the clutch basket/ plates may be weavy? Does this sound about right? Mine does nick off take off when cold but when warm silky smooth

Bernie 07-21-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicywolf (Post 1218769)
Awesome thanks so much. I got a new one lined up for pick up tomorrow. They even said they would let me do the wetting with acid vs pre done from factory. If I recall itís pour in acid,once 100% of it is in, wait an hour, then trickle charge until full, watch to see if it gets hot.

Pour in acid???? WTF. I haven't seen a wet battery since I had an old XS1100 back in the eighties. Surely they must have heard about sealed batteries by now???

Spicywolf 07-21-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaYzerman (Post 1218763)

Do you have a write up or a diagram for what to check

Spicywolf 07-21-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie (Post 1218803)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicywolf (Post 1218769)
Awesome thanks so much. I got a new one lined up for pick up tomorrow. They even said they would let me do the wetting with acid vs pre done from factory. If I recall it’s pour in acid,once 100% of it is in, wait an hour, then trickle charge until full, watch to see if it gets hot.

Pour in acid???? WTF. I haven't seen a wet battery since I had an old XS1100 back in the eighties. Surely they must have heard about sealed batteries by now???

Today even Yuasa sells factory filled and dealer/customer filled agm battery. I prefer it since then I know the battery is fresh when I get it, and ensures it’s first charge is properly done.

RaYzerman 07-21-2019 10:09 PM

Do a search for ground spiders..... this is one of the threads
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...ome-roost.html

I like the Yuasa DIY fill as you know it is fresh. It is an AGM, after the electrolyte is absorbed, it looks like any other AGM. These ones are the aftermarket Yuasas made in PA. I have not tried the OEM GT14B4 GS (Partzilla $115) but might one day.