FJR1300 AS 2017 intermittent juddering - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

FJR1300 AS 2017 intermittent juddering

Hi, new to the forum, I have a 2017 AS model with 11000 miles on the clock, which I bought just over a year ago with just 3000 on the clock, during a recent tour of Ireland it has developed an intermittent problem when warm or cold, when I pull away from stationary it judders like it has not enough fuel getting through, when in 2nd or 3rd gears at low speed it sometimes has the same symptoms but not quite as severe as pulling away, when warm if I stop for a short while it occasionally will not start straight away and I have to give some throttle and the engine sounds like it has a lack of fuel or possibly ignition problem, I took it into my local Yamaha dealer yesterday but they cant find anything wrong when they did a diagnostics check, they are waiting for Yamaha UK technical department to respond, any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Don't take this as a diagnosis, as it is difficult to troubleshoot without physically examining the bike, but a few possibilities I would look for if it were mine.

1. Wiring. A loose connector or wiring rubbing and shorting a circuit could cause intermittent stumbling.

2. Fuel pump. Did the dealer test the output pressure? Hard starting and stumbling on acceleration are symptoms of low flow/pressure.

3. Coolant temp sensor. Not normally a intermittent failure, but it does affect the amount of fuel delivery based on engine temp. A bad one will cause rich/lean conditions.

4. Kickstand switch. Normally not intermittent, but it is designed to cut off engine if switch activates while in gear. Easily overlooked when chasing "phantom" issues.

5. Cracked/damaged intake boot. Your bike shouldn't be old enough to develop this problem yet, but a cracked intake boot can cause stumbling as well.
FabricGATOR likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I am going to vote for a bit of water in the fuel. Treat it with a couple or three ounces of isopropanol, or Seafoam which has naptha and isopropanol. That wee bit of water in the bottom of the tank can cause those symptoms. Try it and if it doesn't go away in a very short time, then let us know. At that mileage there shouldn't be much wrong elsewhere.
FabricGATOR likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:52 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

FJR1300 AS 2017 intermittent juddering

Jools,

Next time the engine balks, try opening the gas cap for a second, then try it again. If the cap does not vent properly, it can cause a fuel-shortage response. Use a spare key and keep the engine running, because a short warm-up time and engine shutdown can confuse the fuel injection system badly. That mistake alone can cause hard starting, with no real malfunction present. If opening the gas cap for an instant does fix the problem, just clear the vent holes in the gas cap.
FabricGATOR and Steve Bracken like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Joolís, iíll Throw my opinion in and say that I would bet on it being a coil pack on one of the spark plugs or possibly a bad spark plug. Did the dealer run a diagnostics on it ? It would show an intermittent miss on one or various cylinders if so.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:17 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Don't take this as a diagnosis, as it is difficult to troubleshoot without physically examining the bike, but a few possibilities I would look for if it were mine.

1. Wiring. A loose connector or wiring rubbing and shorting a circuit could cause intermittent stumbling.

2. Fuel pump. Did the dealer test the output pressure? Hard starting and stumbling on acceleration are symptoms of low flow/pressure.

3. Coolant temp sensor. Not normally a intermittent failure, but it does affect the amount of fuel delivery based on engine temp. A bad one will cause rich/lean conditions.

4. Kickstand switch. Normally not intermittent, but it is designed to cut off engine if switch activates while in gear. Easily overlooked when chasing "phantom" issues.

5. Cracked/damaged intake boot. Your bike shouldn't be old enough to develop this problem yet, but a cracked intake boot can cause stumbling as well.
Add Throttle Position Sensor to Neal's list. That's precisely how my 2013 started acting and got progressively worse and worse until I replaced the TPS myself. The dealer insisted that couldn't be the problem because their diagnostics didn't find it. But replacing it fixed the problem.
Bill Lumberg and NealC like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The bike's only got 11,000 miles... do the EZ stuff first.
NealC likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Totally agree.

I think I started noticing symptoms about 40k.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Totally agree.

I think I started noticing symptoms about 40k.
The TPS on my 16ES went bad right around 11K miles. I posted some tips on a thread about it a few months ago.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Jools,

Next time the engine balks, try opening the gas cap for a second, then try it again. If the cap does not vent properly, it can cause a fuel-shortage response. Use a spare key and keep the engine running, because a short warm-up time and engine shutdown can confuse the fuel injection system badly. That mistake alone can cause hard starting, with no real malfunction present. If opening the gas cap for an instant does fix the problem, just clear the vent holes in the gas cap.
While this is not the issue the OP has, it's worth stressing.

Never shut an FJR engine down until the engine management system has gone into "closed-loop". You can tell because the revs will drop from high idle.

I did this twice before realizing what was happening, and both times nearly flattened the battery before it finally spluttered into life.

Now I know and it has never happened again.
FabricGATOR likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page