Removing both wheels - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Removing both wheels

I need to put new rubber on my FJR. I plan to take the rims to a local shop to install the new rubber. Here’s my question, with the bike on the center stand, removing the rear wheel is obviously easy. For the front, which I would remove first from a simple weight distribution standpoint, is there any reason I can’t balance the forks on blocking after the rim is removed? I was also thinking of a piece of pipe slipped though the fork ends and the placed on jack stands. What’s the weight distribution front to rear? How have other folks accomplished this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:35 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by das86turbo View Post
I need to put new rubber on my FJR. I plan to take the rims to a local shop to install the new rubber. Here’s my question, with the bike on the center stand, removing the rear wheel is obviously easy. For the front, which I would remove first from a simple weight distribution standpoint, is there any reason I can’t balance the forks on blocking after the rim is removed? I was also thinking of a piece of pipe slipped though the fork ends and the placed on jack stands. What’s the weight distribution front to rear? How have other folks accomplished this?
Put bike on center-stand. Jack up the front with the jack under the header pipes.

Remove front wheel.

Lower the front onto blocks and remove rear wheel. I would loosen the rear axle nut BEFORE removing the front wheel.

You can lower the front right down to the ground making removing the rear much easier, but you MUST strap the center-stand tightly to the front of the bike first to prevent it falling forwards off the stand.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Last edited by Steve Bracken; 07-14-2019 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added info
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

The weight on the front is the same as it is right now, except for the weight of the front wheel. Now once you remove the mass of the rear wheel, that is going to change.

I really like Steve's advice about securing the center stand with rope or wratchet. That removes one more variable from the equation. I can see my surprise as I carefully lower it to the ground only to have the centerstand collapse...

I have a few pieces of 6x6 timber around the shop and two stacked and an additional 2x4 about kept the bike stable while I changed the front sneaker.

Also, I had an engine hoist handy, so I lifted the bikes front wheel with a rope around the handle bars (aware of the wiring). It was a very light weight with the rear wheel attached, about 35-45 pounds if that.

Please let us know how it goes and what you learn from your experience.

If its got teats or tires, your bound to have trouble with it...
Yamaha 07' 1300-AW
Yamaha 79' XS1100-SF

Kurt

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Great input. I too like the advice of anchoring the center stand to the front forks. Not something I would have thought of. Expensive mistake potentially, failing to safeguard. I may break out my cherry picker .
Bill Lumberg likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:59 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by das86turbo View Post
Great input. I too like the advice of anchoring the center stand to the front forks. Not something I would have thought of. Expensive mistake potentially, failing to safeguard. I may break out my cherry picker .
Anchoring to a front footpeg is fine, or your Canyon Cages if you have them.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Stever's got it in Post 2 if you're removing both at once... me, I just lower the front enough to let the back wheel slide out. Jack under the headers always stays in place. Um... I don't tie my centerstand because I like to live on the edge, LOL. But, a good idea, heed that advice.
Gitbox likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:47 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Stever's got it in Post 2 if you're removing both at once... me, I just lower the front enough to let the back wheel slide out. Jack under the headers always stays in place. Um... I don't tie my centerstand because I like to live on the edge, LOL. But, a good idea, heed that advice.
It's the sickening "crunch" I try to avoid. Doncha just hate it when that happens?

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:39 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

My process is a little different.

1. remove the rear wheel.
2. remove the front fender
3. remove the front calipers
4. loosen the front wheel nuts/bolts
5. jack up the bike under the header pipes until the front wheel is just off the ground.
6. remove the front wheel (easily rolls out)

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:00 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspyder View Post
My process is a little different.

1. remove the rear wheel.
2. remove the front fender
3. remove the front calipers
4. loosen the front wheel nuts/bolts
5. jack up the bike under the header pipes until the front wheel is just off the ground.
6. remove the front wheel (easily rolls out)
If one must remove both wheels then I mostly agree with the above. Don't bother removing the front fender. Just jack the bike up enough for the front wheel to clear the front fender. With rear wheel out of the way it is easy and lifting the front higher is safer than lowering the front.

Others suggest removing front first then lowering to get the rear out easier. And others mentioning tying the centerstand. Lowering the front runs risk of centerstand folding. That is why I would prefer removing the rear first then raising the front. This leans more into the centerstand opposite of the tendency to fold.

Have posted pictures many times of my front wheel stand. This lifts high enough for front wheel to come out from under front fender, but it also compresses the rear suspension when it lifts. But for one time in about 20 the 2014's rear didn't compress and bike was wobbly on centerstand. Put a 1x6 under centerstand and lifted again, nice and stable.

The best solution is to have your own CH200 within walking distance. Do one wheel at a time.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Wheels removed!

This was my first time pulling the wheels on my FJR. Easy-Peazy. In hind sight I did not need to remove the front fender. I started with the front. Removed calipers etc as noted above. Inserted a piece of conduit thru the fork ends to carry the load and lowered onto jack stands. The jack stands are at the same height as the wheel centerline. Then move to the rear wheel. EZ. It took me about an hour to pull both wheels. Why pay stealership prices when you can do this yourself? I called around and was quoted an hr for each wheel if I brought the bike in. Having the new rubber mounted tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D51BF52E-4F15-48D3-BD60-95C83424D1C2.jpg (190.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 69357B74-BF93-4AC6-8EB1-95E4431D965A.jpg (174.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg FD5B9162-5E70-494E-9783-9008858058D2.jpg (181.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by das86turbo; 07-17-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page