Cruise Control Failing - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Cruise Control Failing

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else has issues with their cruise control when their bike gets hot? I have a 2016 FJR1300A model and if the bike has been sitting out in the sun or I'm riding in stop and go traffic and I turn on the cruise control the cruise control indicator light just flashes but won't work.

When the bike cools down and I stop, shut off the ignition and restart it, the cruise then works. It seems to be heat related. This issue has only occurred in the last six months and prior 2.5 years not had this issue. Most long distance trips are in warmer weather and a cruise that doesn't work is useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Three things to check...... clean the ABS sensors of any aluminum corrosion, coat the plastic sleeves and the inside of the mounting hole with silicone or dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion (electrically will bridge). Check clutch and brake light switches on the levers, perhaps spray some contact cleaner to clean off any gunk that may be preventing them from returning to 'home', ie, plungers free. Heat shouldn't have anything to do with it except to help the plungers expand and get sticky.
Let us know if all that works...... most commonly it's a clutch switch issue. The cruise on/off switch itself may need some help too, but not too likely.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Three things to check...... clean the ABS sensors of any aluminum corrosion, coat the plastic sleeves and the inside of the mounting hole with silicone or dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion (electrically will bridge). Check clutch and brake light switches on the levers, perhaps spray some contact cleaner to clean off any gunk that may be preventing them from returning to 'home', ie, plungers free. Heat shouldn't have anything to do with it except to help the plungers expand and get sticky.
Let us know if all that works...... most commonly it's a clutch switch issue. The cruise on/off switch itself may need some help too, but not too likely.
Thanks for the suggestions. Where do I find the ABS sensors? I'll give this a try and let you know.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Puzzled by the flashing CC indicator though...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Mine was doing the same thing. If you pull it into a garage where you can watch when the brake light activate, mine was sticking on on the front brake switch. That switch is on the bottom of the instrument cluster, right side obviously and it's held in by a single phillips head screw. Get some contact cleaner as Ray suggested and once removed, you'll see a spring on one end. I shot the contact cleaner in there and it seemed to resolve my issue. Until of course, it gets gummed up again. Cover your tank!! You don't want that contact cleaner on painted parts or at least I wouldn't want to risk it.

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post
Puzzled by the flashing CC indicator though...
ECU is confused with intermittent/incorrect electrical signals from the sensors or an intermittent switch... ignition cycle usually resets that part of it.
Sensors are in the wheel hubs/aluminum ABS adapter plate, held by one screw.
Fleuger99 and 2GENAE like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC View Post
Mine was doing the same thing. If you pull it into a garage where you can watch when the brake light activate, mine was sticking on on the front brake switch. That switch is on the bottom of the instrument cluster, right side obviously and it's held in by a single phillips head screw. Get some contact cleaner as Ray suggested and once removed, you'll see a spring on one end. I shot the contact cleaner in there and it seemed to resolve my issue. Until of course, it gets gummed up again. Cover your tank!! You don't want that contact cleaner on painted parts or at least I wouldn't want to risk it.
Good to know and thanks for the info. I'll give it a try this weekend.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC View Post
Mine was doing the same thing. If you pull it into a garage where you can watch when the brake light activate, mine was sticking on on the front brake switch.

That is the usual source of my CC problem. A simple way to check is to bump your front brake lever outward. If the problem clears, that was the source of your problem.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

I noticed my CC SET indicator started flashing once, then went off. I had inadvertently twisted the throttle to maximum for a minute or so.

2014 FJR1300A
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R!der View Post
I noticed my CC SET indicator started flashing once, then went off. I had inadvertently twisted the throttle to maximum for a minute or so.
Maximum throttle for a minute! You must have been flying!
Fleuger99 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page