ABS light heads-up - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
ABS light heads-up

I changed tires around 5000 miles ago. I recently went on a 3200 mile trip out East. Washed the bike thoroughly after we got home. Bike sat for around a week. Went for a 50 mile ride and towards the end, the ABS light started flashing. Hmm, water got into something? Went for an 80 mile ride a few days later, and the light started flashing again. Fixed itself after I came to a stop. Went home, dug into the manual. Had codes 14 and 24 stored, both pertaining to the front wheel speed sensor. Inspected the wires, pulled the sensor from the hub and noticed some tiny particles on it. Not necessarily iron filings, just dust, etc. that I (I'm sure) didn't clean up when I mounted the tire. I checked the wheel bearings, no roughness, no looseness. I cleaned the sensor off, cleaned the reluctor using a Q Tip and alcohol, reassembled, and the light's been off for some 200 miles now. Maybe I can save somebody an expensive trip to the dealer...
Jimmy Cbx Ng likes this.

'06 Suzuki DR650
'15 Yamaha FJR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:33 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yup, I have cleaned mine couple times a season.

I notice the light flashes after I have ridden it "hard" Does any one know if wheel spin sets the light off?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

try this

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjroddy View Post
My codes were for the front speed sensor, not the brake lights. I had a switch get gunked up on my Concours when I had that. Kept the lights on intermittently. BTW, I had the brake pedal pivot apart to clean and lube last winter. Thanks!

'06 Suzuki DR650
'15 Yamaha FJR
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I haad this happen the other day on my 2014. I rode it after sitting for a few weeks for 40 miles. When I got there the abs light was flashing. I restarted it and rode home and it never came back on. I got a tire change coming up in the next week so im going to clean the sensors and the brake pivot point to see if that keeps it from coming back on.

Its me.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.ga.rider View Post
I haad this happen the other day on my 2014. I rode it after sitting for a few weeks for 40 miles. When I got there the abs light was flashing. I restarted it and rode home and it never came back on. I got a tire change coming up in the next week so im going to clean the sensors and the brake pivot point to see if that keeps it from coming back on.
Do the pivot pins on the front brake lever, and the clutch lever, while you're at it.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

On mine after going through all the recommended “fix’s” like the pivot cleaning, brake fluid flush and cleaning the sensors (the rear was really dirty) which doing all helped reduce the abs light flashing but didn’t eliminate it. New brake switch’s and relay’s are the only thing that fixed it. I had a bad front switch/relay while the rear was deemed marginal so was also replaced.

I think the brake switch's are marginally weather tight particularly the front but i’ll add that I believe that cleaning and lubing the pivots along with cleaning the wheel speed sensors along with coating the o.d. with dielectric grease and of course a good fluid flush are all good practices that should be done yearly or at the very least every other year depending on your environment.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you have a Series III, the cruise control also will probably not work.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Mine has been doing it on really hot days, regardless of riding style. It is not the rear brake pivot or assembly. Everything has been cleaned and lubricated. Nothing sticking. No switches engaged (we know this because cruise always works normally). Never happens when itís below 90F. Hard braking stops it for a while. Iím not super worried about it.

On the upside, it caused me to disassemble/clean/lube my rear brake pedal assembly a lot earlier than I would have otherwise. I ride year round, often in wet conditions, so I pull and clean my levers four or five times a year, and irrigate the rear pedal assembly with silicon spray with about the same frequency, only taking it apart about once a year.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 06-23-2019 at 06:08 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

On my gen 3. 2014 the cruise worked normally until just a week or so before the dealer replaced The switchís. The abs light was flashing pretty regularly for quite a while before the switchís were replaced. The cruise and the brake light switch are separate, if you look at the front brake switch youíll see 2 pins on it with one for the abs and one for the cruise. And as I said on my bike the cruise worked fine up until about a week before it was all replaced.

Iíll add that my abs flashing light started after I was caught in a couple of toad strangler rain storms while riding. Hope this helps.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page