Stumble or Hesitation on Take-Off - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Question Stumble or Hesitation on Take-Off

Hi everyone, I'm having a strange issue on my new to me 2014 FJR ES. When I'm at a stop and then go to take off, the bike stumbles or hesitates, as if I am cutting the throttle off and back on a little bit. It reminds me of blocked fuel injectors in a car. Once it's going, above 2500rpm, it's fine. It's only on take off. I don't have a history at all on the bike. Any idea's what it could be or what to start with?

I'm going to try premium fuel and some fuel injector cleaner to start with, since it's the simplest thing to do.

Thanks!

Candy Red 2014 FJR ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:21 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Stumble or Hesitation on Take-Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Hi everyone, I'm having a strange issue on my new to me 2014 FJR ES. When I'm at a stop and then go to take off, the bike stumbles or hesitates, as if I am cutting the throttle off and back on a little bit. It reminds me of blocked fuel injectors in a car. Once it's going, above 2500rpm, it's fine. It's only on take off. I don't have a history at all on the bike. Any idea's what it could be or what to start with? I'm going to try premium fuel and some fuel injector cleaner to start with, since it's the simplest thing to do. Thanks!
Connector,

A can of Seafoam may be all you need. How old is the gas in the tank? If it has separated, I'd say empty the tank and get fresh fuel, first. I only use non-ethanol gasoline in my 2008; it does not deteriorate rapidly, so it's better than ethanol gas in storage.
RaYzerman likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks @red . The gas is only a week old and will be filling up this week again (refuel weekly). Non-ethanol isn't an option for me. There is no places near me that sell the "good gas". I'm pretty much stuck with ethanol everywhere I ride.

I hear Seafoam a lot. I've never used that brand, but could try it. I have some Red Line 60102 and was going to use that. If Red Line doesn't change the issue, I'll try the Seafoam.

Candy Red 2014 FJR ES

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Thanks @red . The gas is only a week old and will be filling up this week again (refuel weekly). Non-ethanol isn't an option for me. There is no places near me that sell the "good gas". I'm pretty much stuck with ethanol everywhere I ride..
Connector,

These guys list the "good gas" vendors for most states in the USA, and some places in Canada. They get updates from real riders and drivers. Find your state, and Copy the list.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks, i found a place near me on the website! I'll stop there, fill up and drop some cleaner in with the gas, then see what happens. Hope this works.

Candy Red 2014 FJR ES
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:13 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Thanks, i found a place near me on the website! I'll stop there, fill up and drop some cleaner in with the gas, then see what happens. Hope this works.
Connector,

I suggest adding the cleaner before the gas, for a better mix-em-up.
Connector likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:39 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Are you in Sport or Touring mode ?

My 2015 has a very slight hesitaton from a stop when in Touring mode .

I dunno how it seems to get into T mode on a semi regular basis , must be gremlins .

But I know when it does right away .

Your concern sounds a little worse than that , but S may help .

George

2015 FJR1300 A
2010 H-D XR1200 , a Sportster on steroids

I wasn't born here in GA , but I got here as fast as I could !
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
How many miles? If your not sure on the service history may want to check valves, plugs, and sync of the throttle bodies.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Chances are there's a bit of water in the fuel..... Seafoam is naptha and isopropanol, and the isopropanol will disperse way more water than ethanol can. You could actually just dump in two or three ounces of rubbing alcohol (90% stuff) and it might fix you up.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

Are you in Sport or Touring mode? I've tried both and it doesn't matter, both modes are are the same. I thought the same thing, maybe sport would be different. It's not changing modes on its own, either, meaning it stays where I set it. I also noticed it's doing this up to 3k rpm & it's only when it's light or soft throttle, not like hard fast throttle, but it's not like I ride as if on a race track all the time. I'm more scooting around lightly (yet this morning I hammered it and ripped past someone is s mode - dam it's fast!)

How many miles? It has ~27.5k miles on it. I looked at the maintenance setting screen and if it's right, it was last set at 24k miles. The dealer changed the oil & filter before I bought it, too. I'm not sure how to check valves, but I could sync the carbs and check/replace plugs. I did order a service manual yesterday.

I had to fill up yesterday, so I tossed the Red Line cleaner in. The place listed for clean gas, well, I had to buy a can or cans and it was wicked expensive. I stopped at a Mobile and filled up on the highest octane. I'll let that run out, fill it up again and see what happens, and then if nothing changes, I'll try the seafoam cleaner.

Is this the SeaFoam to use? https://seafoamsales.com/product/fuel-injector-cleaner/

Candy Red 2014 FJR ES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page