Stumble or Hesitation on Take-Off - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Found the SCU thing at the back of the manual. All is good. Just surprised me, thought I messed something up.

TPS on order. Seaform'ing it today.

Candy Red 2014 FJR ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:12 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Stumble or Hesitation on Take-Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
TPS on order. Seaform'ing it today.
Connector,

The TPS numbers should roll smoothly, low to high, when testing; so that TPS is a likely cause. They can go bad, occasionally.

A can of Seafoam never hurts anyway, now and then.
Connector likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I donít recall my onboard diagnostics showing an anomaly, but subtle stumble and hesitation on accel on my 2014 fjr gradually became pronounced. It was the tps. Yamaha replaced a lot more than that, but I think that was because they didnít know what was wrong specifically. I think enough of them have gone bad that their script would just allow for replacing the tps today.

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:21 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I donít recall my onboard diagnostics showing an anomaly, but subtle stumble and hesitation on accel on my 2014 fjr gradually became pronounced. It was the tps. Yamaha replaced a lot more than that, but I think that was because they didnít know what was wrong specifically. I think enough of them have gone bad that their script would just allow for replacing the tps today.
Diagnostics didn't show a problem with mine. It started with a slight stumble at light throttle at take off or in slow corners. It was infrequent enough that I replaced the plugs and thought I'd fixed it until it did it again. I ran fuel system cleaner, and it ran better .... until it didn't. I took it to the shop, and they put it on their computer and repaired a too-tight throttle cable. ($223) I said "No way", but it ran fine -- for a few days. I took it back and had a long talk with the owner of the shop and his service manager, and they told me the TPS would definitely throw a code, and it wasn't bad.

It got to the point that I could set cruise control on a road with rolling hills, and it would stumble and buck going downhill and smooth out as it applied throttle going up the next one. It would occasionally buck while riding on cruise on the interstate. For some reason it was worse in the rain -- maybe just because I'm more judicious with throttle usage in the rain.

I took it on a 6000-mile trip, and it started running so bad I decided to get rid of it when (if) I made it home. But after I got home I decided to replace the TPS myself and ordered one online.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

................but it's jumpy down low, then it smooths out..................

found it!!, should be smooth throughout
have fun with the front bolt, not enjoyable at all,

16ES
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel S. View Post
................but it's jumpy down low, then it smooths out..................

found it!!, should be smooth throughout
have fun with the front bolt, not enjoyable at all,
It probably took me 30 minutes to get the front bolt out after making the tools

I cut off a torx bit to barely long enough to get a 1/4" wrench on and get it in place with a rare earth magnet glued to a coat hanger wire*. After I got it loose I forced a bit of plastic tubing over it to use as a handle.

* I already had the magnet on a wire lying round for removing valve shims on my Kawasaki
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0954 - small.JPG (45.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0955 - smal.JPG (29.9 KB, 11 views)
Connector likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks everyone for the info on the tools (heads up on the troubles with it all) and sharing more on the problem. The bike is just like what everyone is saying. Sensor should be in Saturday, so hopefully Sunday I get this done.

Candy Red 2014 FJR ES
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

My FJR does not have any problem with the TPS, but as the '16 and later dont have this diagnostic menu, I became a bit curious if I can read the TPS adjustment value by the ODB scanner or if you are forced to visit the dealer. Just one way to find out so I went out to the garage and tested this today. Seems like you can, at least with the Torque app. With the ignition on (engine off) it shows a value from 14.1-21.6 when twisting the throttle. When the engine was cold and running at idle it showed 15. Not sure how common this problem is, but good to know if I some day have to replace it.

/rogerf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmartSelect_20190624-181229_Torque.jpg (73.9 KB, 11 views)

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:56 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Stumble or Hesitation on Take-Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerf View Post
I became a bit curious if I can read the TPS adjustment value by the ODB scanner or if you are forced to visit the dealer. Seems like you can, at least with the Torque app.
/rogerf
Rogerf,

What equipment are you using for an OBD scanner, and what APP? Does that APP run on Android? I have not found the APP with the same display that you pictured.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

Red,

my scanner is called ELM327, exists both in BT and wifi version, I have the wifi version.

Search for something like...ODB2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader ELM327

The app is here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=no
I use the paid version called Torque PRO.

/rogerf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ELM327.jpg (43.2 KB, 5 views)
rbentnail likes this.

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)

Last edited by rogerf; 06-24-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page