Stumble or Hesitation on Take-Off - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Twin cities MN
Posts: 330
might be a throttle position sensor,
it will cause bucking and jerking, had to replace mine on my 16 already.

night and day difference before and after replacement.

16ES
Joel S. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:05 AM
red
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: near Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III
Posts: 1,131
Stumble or Hesitation on Take-Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.
Is this the SeaFoam to use? https://seafoamsales.com/product/fuel-injector-cleaner/
Connector,

I have not seen the "concentrate" version. I use this version. Add to gas, as per directions.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Foam-...SABEgKKh_D_BwE
.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$25.00).
red is offline  
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
Connector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 30
Thanks for the link to the seafoam red. I'll try that next.

Joel S, thanks for the heads up on the TPS. I've seen other similar posts. I don't have the service manual yet, not familiar with the bike well yet (didn't want to be yet honestly), but just wondering about how to determine if it is this sensor. Do you hook it up to a computer or something? Any idea how to isolate the problem to this sensor?

Candy Red 2014 FJR ES
Connector is offline  
 
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Twin cities MN
Posts: 330
i went with what others were describing, symptoms were the same, very jerky, not just a tic of sputter,
i hooked my 16 into my scanner and watched all the tps pids and didn't see anything exact to pinpoint the issue.
i paid for the part myself, and did the install, vs trying to get a warranty repair, wasn't worth the long down time and potential aggravation

with your bike, is it all rpm, throttle ranges, or just at the tip in ?? mine trying to maintain say 30 would buck and jerk, if i recall. just a tic of throttle, past that was perfect.




.

16ES
Joel S. is offline  
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,876
It sounds like the symptoms my '13 had that turned out to be a throttle position sensor problem.

The dealer argued that it wasn't the TPS because "it would absolutley throw a code", but I googled "throttle position sensor fjr1300" and found other examples.

I replaced it myself about 15,000 miles ago, and the problem vanished.

It didn't matter if it was in S or T mode, cruise control on or off, etc.

Mine wasn't just at take off, though. Any light throttle application could cause a stumble.
Joel S. likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
Mr_Ed is online now  
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Norway, Sandnes
Posts: 177
Have the issue been there for a long time, did it come suddenly or over some time, can you see it in connection to some other things?

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)
rogerf is offline  
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Twin cities MN
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
It sounds like the symptoms my '13 had that turned out to be a throttle position sensor problem.

The dealer argued that it wasn't the TPS because "it would absolutley throw a code", but I googled "throttle position sensor fjr1300" and found other examples.

I replaced it myself about 15,000 miles ago, and the problem vanished.

It didn't matter if it was in S or T mode, cruise control on or off, etc.

Mine wasn't just at take off, though. Any light throttle application could cause a stumble.
well put, sounds just like mine, self replaced TPS for the win !!

16ES
Joel S. is offline  
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel S. View Post
well put, sounds just like mine, self replaced TPS for the win !!
Yeah. It was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in motorcycling. It would start stuttering at light throttle openings and run fine if opened a little more. It first appeared on curvy roads ridden in the upper gears with very light throttle. I wouldn't close it completely and would just roll the corner with very light throttle, and it'd hesitate. That's what made me think it may be a throttle position sensor. If I rode aggressively it was OK, but it was extremely frustrating in heavy traffic situations. It got so bad on a 6000-mile trip that I decided to trade it in, though I can't imagine what I'd have replaced it with.

The dealer told me he couldn't "just start throwing parts at it", but I figured I could. Like I said, I googled it and felt more confident that it was the TPS. I replaced it myself, problem solved.

It says in the shop manual to remove the throttle bodies, but with a little ingenuity and a lot of patience I did it without.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
Mr_Ed is online now  
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
Connector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 30
"bucking and jerking" describes it best, like Joel S said. And it's frustrating for sure (but the worst for me is still my other bike waiting for repair - engine dies when you cut the throttle - dam nightmare!) Anyway, I've been watching it closely and it doesn't matter the rpm, yet I'm not going above 5k. It's for sure light throttle, just cracking it open ~10-15%, and it does this. I played around with T and S settings again, same in either mode.

It's been doing this for the last 4 weeks, give or take. It just started all of sudden. It jerked one day while I was riding and then it stalled when I took of at a light. It's consistent now. It's happening constantly.

I did call the dealer and I'm going to stop by. So far the cleaner isn't doing anything. Tank is almost empty too. But it's not the Seafoam. I'll still try that next or a couple teaspoons of Iso.

Looks like I better start googling the TPS. I did a little of bit googling last night. I'm pretty good at working on bikes, shop manual is on it's way. The only thing I'm not sure about for the 2014 is adjusting the sensor to the bike. Anyone have a good link saved they could share?

Thanks for all replies! Appreciate the help (& learning)!

Candy Red 2014 FJR ES
Connector is offline  
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
"bucking and jerking" describes it best, like Joel S said. And it's frustrating for sure (but the worst for me is still my other bike waiting for repair - engine dies when you cut the throttle - dam nightmare!) Anyway, I've been watching it closely and it doesn't matter the rpm, yet I'm not going above 5k. It's for sure light throttle, just cracking it open ~10-15%, and it does this. I played around with T and S settings again, same in either mode.

It's been doing this for the last 4 weeks, give or take. It just started all of sudden. It jerked one day while I was riding and then it stalled when I took of at a light. It's consistent now. It's happening constantly.

I did call the dealer and I'm going to stop by. So far the cleaner isn't doing anything. Tank is almost empty too. But it's not the Seafoam. I'll still try that next or a couple teaspoons of Iso.

Looks like I better start googling the TPS. I did a little of bit googling last night. I'm pretty good at working on bikes, shop manual is on it's way. The only thing I'm not sure about for the 2014 is adjusting the sensor to the bike. Anyone have a good link saved they could share?

Thanks for all replies! Appreciate the help (& learning)!
Adjusting the sensor is very simple. Well, it was on my '13 anyway.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
Mr_Ed is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome