Front End Out Of Allignment - Wobble - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Bounce, look up water injection..... they had that standard on some old cars way before you and I were even thought of, and it does work. Back in the day of carbs, if you noticed, your car would run better in the damp weather than in the hot and dry.
In the old days (and a friend just did this on a carboned up FJR), we would spray water into a carb to blow the carbon out... water (steam) and carbon don't mix, so the carbon goes.... the key is a hot engine and light spray, don't pour it in, but you will see some nice white steam out the exhaust. It works. Buddy got the carbon off the intake valves and saved a major teardown.
But agree, there is a lot of snake oil claims out there.... just look at the plethora of claims on injector cleaners.... look up the MSDS to get what's really in it.
Little Joe, passx and 2014oldred like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I found the problem causing my wobble and alignment problems. THE DEALER DID NOT TIGHTEN UP THE AXLE AND PINCH BOLTS ATER PUTTIN ON NEW TIRES! I was shocked when I was going to loosen everything up as discussed here only to find the axle nut finger tight and the pinch bolts just sitting in the holes not even a thread started. The scary thing is I took the bike on a 200 mike ride and that is when I noticed the bars being slightly off. I do blame myself and this is a good lesson learned that I should of done a pre ride inspection. Needless to say I gave the service manager and earful and he apologized saying there is no excuse but they were slammed busy. Well as we all know, the is NO excuse. Another good reason to do your own work too. Anyway I tightened everything up and she rides and handles beautifully.
bounce and Gary B. like this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:39 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Bounce, look up water injection..... they had that standard on some old cars way before you and I were even thought of, and it does work. Back in the day of carbs, if you noticed, your car would run better in the damp weather than in the hot and dry.
The mixture ratio changed with temperature and humidity. But being J.C. Whitney, they couldn't let facts and science get in the way of snake oil.

Quote:
In the old days (and a friend just did this on a carboned up FJR), we would spray water into a carb to blow the carbon out... water (steam) and carbon don't mix, so the carbon goes.... the key is a hot engine and light spray, don't pour it in, but you will see some nice white steam out the exhaust. It works. Buddy got the carbon off the intake valves and saved a major teardown.
Water is (for all practical purposes) not compressible so it does funny things in the combustion chamber, including steam cleaning. Also serves as a knock-suppressant so it permits higher compression ratios on lower octane-rating fuel.

Quote:
But agree, there is a lot of snake oil claims out there.... just look at the plethora of claims on injector cleaners.... look up the MSDS to get what's really in it.
Look at the MSDS of so-called anti-ethanol remedies. All I have seen are more alcohol, just they don't use ethanol. By adding more alcohol or alcohol-like solvent they "fix" smokey/cloudy fuel by increasing its ability to suspend water. Increasing the water content in fuel is not a solution in my book. But if the engine still runs, at least they get the water out of the gas tank.
bounce and 2014oldred like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

Leaving fasteners loose on the front axle of a motorcycle is tantamount to attempted murder. It doesn't surprise me however, I've had front brake caliper mounting bolts left loose by a Triumph dealer in the UK before - and when I complained they said I must have done it to spite them. How much more in denial that your workshop staff are a bunch of careless monkeys can you get?

Last edited by barnstormer; 06-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:12 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
I found the problem causing my wobble and alignment problems. THE DEALER DID NOT TIGHTEN UP THE AXLE AND PINCH BOLTS ATER PUTTIN ON NEW TIRES! I was shocked when I was going to loosen everything up as discussed here only to find the axle nut finger tight and the pinch bolts just sitting in the holes not even a thread started. The scary thing is I took the bike on a 200 mike ride and that is when I noticed the bars being slightly off. I do blame myself and this is a good lesson learned that I should of done a pre ride inspection. Needless to say I gave the service manager and earful and he apologized saying there is no excuse but they were slammed busy. Well as we all know, the is NO excuse. Another good reason to do your own work too. Anyway I tightened everything up and she rides and handles beautifully.
Excellent point and why checking tires for PSI and for damage EACH TIME BEFORE STARTING EACH DAY is such a good habit to have. It may (or may not) have caught the axle bolt/nut but it probably would have caught the pinch bolts. Glad you didn't end up watching your tire pass you down the road.

Anyone remember T-CLOCS?

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 06-16-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Yes some of these tyre dealers really need to lift there game if they want to stay in business.
I have always used steel valve stems on all my bikes, I took both wheels in for new tyres, when I went in to pay for them I noticed my valve stems had been replaced. I demanded they put my steel stems back in, they refused saying I didn't have steel stems fitted, and told me to go away.
Well I had no choice in this, but I've never been back, and I tell all my friends of my experience.
They are now shut down, because I was not the only person they p*** off.
bounce likes this.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post

Holy Schnikeeez, That's the mother of all screw ups. The dealer service manager, and I use that word loosely, should be on his knees that you didn't push this issue further. Exposing this particular dealer for this kind of screw up might save another guys life. Just sayin'. Exactly the reason I perform my own chassis and wheel service.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You guys need to lighten up. This was NOT "the mother of all screw ups". Compared to one of my dealership visits this is just a minor bump in the road.

Live and learn- either do the work yourself or thoroughly check the work of others. At the very least, remove your own wheels to have the tires replaced. That way you know it'll be put back together properly later.
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Blue, so happy you found the problem Nd really happy that it wasnít a bigger problem, could've been bad. Imho the service manger should be kissing your grits for not suing them.

Ray, I used water injection on my old ford Years ago when I was running 12.7-1 cr on premium unleaded, it worked pretty well but it worked off of the engine vacuum which was fine. But should've had a pump to inject it under load (no vacuum) ,, I ended up plugging it into the ported vacuum port on the carb which provided a load sensitive vacuum signal, basically a siphon.

For cleaning carbon out iíve Used Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas at the beginning of the year, I fill the tank at years end adding a couple of ounces of mmo in along with stabile and Lucas fuel treatment and run it down the road to get the mix throughout the system, on my carbíd bikes I then shut the petcock off and run things dry for the winter.

The MMO is basically diesel fuel and soaks into the carbon and helps desolve it, smokes pretty good in the spring. Iíve also found MMO works pretty good for cleaning my guns.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Live and learn- either do the work yourself or thoroughly check the work of others. At the very least, remove your own wheels to have the tires replaced. That way you know it'll be put back together properly later.
Or at least it will be your fault if it is screwed up.
passx and N4HHE like this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page