Front End Out Of Allignment - Wobble - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffySmith View Post
After taking my new to me 2006 FJR up route 28 to 129 and back, my arms were sore from counter steering and my FJR was turning to the left. Then when pinning the throttle I would get a front end vibration. I loosened and torqued the front and still had stiff steering and vibration.

With help from this forum I installed a tapered bearing. This helped with high speed vibration and still waiting for my chance to go back to Up State SC, to ride route 28 and test my all balls new bearing.
I am definitely hoping to meet and ride with some locals down the road, maybe a trip up to the Gap etc. I live in the Upstate and take trips out that way often. Would be great to make some new friends from here to enjoy it with. Hope the all balls work out. Who did your install you or a mechanic? Expensive, tough job?

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
I will do that, Thanks! Anyone know the torque value of the pinch bolts or where you can find them?
You really want to get the service manual. There is a sequence to tightening the axle pinch bolts that should be followed. It's also a good idea if you're going to be doing your own wrenching.
N4HHE likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
miles ÷ smiles=bike.
It's simple math.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:15 PM
FJR Top Gun

Deny it to the end of time, won't change anything.

Handlebars won't wobble unless the steering stem bearings are worn and/or loose. No matter how bad the tire.

When working this happened so many times I could see the realization on coworkers' faces when they knew it was coming. Meeting with management and customer about what they liked and didn't like about the project. Grilled back and forth. I'd start suggesting changes to give them what they wanted and be shot down, "can't change that!" In the end I would summarize, "So you want us to fix it but don't change anything?" More often that not, not realizing what I had said they would agree. Then I'd say, "We can't do anything if you won't let us change anything."

Doesn't seem anyone ever uses the search function to consult archives. Just like never reading the owner's manual. Why bother? Just post on the internet! So once again this is one of my front tires worn its entire life under tapered bearings. Didn't have a clue it was anything like this until I saw it laying on my tire changing stand. No wobble. No vibration. Nothing but a worn out tire that needed to be replaced.

SnuffySmith likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Deny it to the end of time, won't change anything.

Handlebars won't wobble unless the steering stem bearings are worn and/or loose. No matter how bad the tire.

When working this happened so many times I could see the realization on coworkers' faces when they knew it was coming. Meeting with management and customer about what they liked and didn't like about the project. Grilled back and forth. I'd start suggesting changes to give them what they wanted and be shot down, "can't change that!" In the end I would summarize, "So you want us to fix it but don't change anything?" More often that not, not realizing what I had said they would agree. Then I'd say, "We can't do anything if you won't let us change anything."

Doesn't seem anyone ever uses the search function to consult archives. Just like never reading the owner's manual. Why bother? Just post on the internet! So once again this is one of my front tires worn its entire life under tapered bearings. Didn't have a clue it was anything like this until I saw it laying on my tire changing stand. No wobble. No vibration. Nothing but a worn out tire that needed to be replaced.

Whew! Take another hit brother! Wow

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:44 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Whew! Take another hit brother! Wow
no vibration from that????? He already had too many hits!
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:10 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmerc View Post
no vibration from that????? He already had too many hits!
None. The tire is worn to a pattern representing how it rolls, how it flexes while rolling. That is its natural shape. No doubt it makes noise and oscillates but at frequencies I don't feel or hear. And with tapered bearings the energy doesn't accumulate until it is strong enough to be annoying.

The rolling tire is the exciter for an oscillator consisting of your front end. Energy accumulates when the exciter frequency comes close to the mechanical resonant frequency. You can tune and perfect the tire to minimize the exciter energy, but if you take the slack out of the steering bearings then the front end won't be able to move enough to store energy.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

As n4 basically says at this point I would retorque the head bearings. The oe ball’s have a propensity to headshake around 35-45 mph if loose and being that yours sounds pretty mild it might just be a simple matter of retorquing them. They’re supposed to be retorqued (rarely done) at the initial 600mi service and if not done will damage the races which will end up requiring new tapered bearings to fix it. Use the search function to search for head bearings or head shake/wobble and you’ll find a lot of reading material.
N4HHE likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
I I am going to try Dynabeads to help with balancing.

Might I recommend you do NOT do that. No one has reported any proven advantages and some have reported that they beads clump with the gunk they stir up inside the tire and CAUSE imbalances.

N4HHE likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:14 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Might I recommend you do NOT do that. No one has reported any proven advantages and some have reported that they beads clump with the gunk they stir up inside the tire and CAUSE imbalances.
Agree Dynabeads solves a problem in the laboratory, but that problem is different from real world.

Would not worry about Dynabeads ablating the inside of one's tire. Or the resulting balls of rubber. Those are doing exactly the same thing as the beads.

Read the Dynabeads FAQ about trying to balance on a spin balancer. Doesn't work because the wheel is rigidly held in place, not allowed to shake. The wheel has to move out of place for the beads to move into place. So doesn't this very thing happen with every crack in the road? You get a bump from the crack and another bump or two from the beads moving.

Dynabeads work for some people. But it is my observation some people don't need motorcycle tires balanced at all. I've never seen balance weights on semitruck tires. Used to be very common not to balance 16.5" work truck and delivery tires.

Haven't seen a J.C. Whitney catalog in decades but it used to be a good source of humor selling similar snake oil. They used to sell a disk with bead-like high viscosity something in the rim to be fitted over your lug bolts between car wheel and brake. To magically balance your car tire using exactly the same physics as Dynabeads. One wonders at the power of conspiracy to kill such innovations such as this and the 100 MPG carburetor!
bounce likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

And those cigar lighter devices that are meant to improve MPG just by plugging them in. JCWittless also sold kits to spray water into your carbs (causing their own problems).

Snake oil salesmen never went away. You'd have to stop and drain fuel every 100 miles if they all did what they claim.
N4HHE likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 06-15-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page