Throttle Body Sync - Now I Seem to be Running Hot! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Throttle Body Sync - Now I Seem to be Running Hot!

So after a few months and about 1k miles on my 05 FJR (w/30k miles) I thought it was time to do a throttle body sync. Iím suspecting that it hasnít been done on this bike before. I bought the sync tool and with all the info on this forum and others, I was surprised how easy it was to do. Here is what I foundÖTB #1 was reading 22cm, TB#2 was 22cm, TB#3 was 27cm and TB#4 was 20cm. So what Iíve read, these were out of sync. I 1st brought TB#3 down to 25cm. I tried bring TB#4 up to 25cm but screw bottomed out at 24cm. I could of brought #1 and #2 up to 25cm but that left about 1/8 of a turn of both bottoming out also. So I sync them all to about 24cm. I blipped throttle each time I made adjustment and used tach to confirm 1,100 rpms.
So Iíve heard Yamaha says not to bottom out screws but donít know how to correct or what damage may occur. Is it running to lean? Now that Iím done, #4 is basically closed and #1 and 2 are almost closed and #3 still has about Ĺ turn before closed.
So here is another questionÖis my bike running to hot? I road about 30 miles to see if I would notice a difference and I do feel a better throttle response and smother acceleration. ButÖ My temp gauge last week normally shows 2 bars, 3 bars at slow riding or at a stop. Now it runs mostly 3 bars, 4 bars at slow riding or at a stop..and yes fan kicks on at 4. I did notice 2 bars coming down the mountain without a load. The only change from this week to now is temps here in California went from low 80ís to low 90ís. Could that be the difference? I donít know how many bars should my bike normally show?...and do I need to do something to my TB to get the screws not to bottom out?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3917.JPG (111.0 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

After syncing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3919.JPG (103.4 KB, 34 views)
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangair2 View Post
After syncing...
Is the air filter new? Valves clearances adjusted?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Your temps are fine and perfectly normal.... my '05 does the same. And yes, the recent spike in ambient temps also has my "normal" temp, when moving, bumped up from 2 Bars to 3 Bars.... fan always kicks in at 4 bars (no change there). As for your synch, second picture looks good, you'll never get all 4 exactly the same (nor does it matter), but the nearly closed #1, 2 and 4 adjustment screws probably means some add'l fiddling is needed. I personally like my idle a bit lower (~1K revs indicated or just under) to lessen the clunk into gear (and it just feels better to me... 1.1K too fast IMO but that's just me). Others will surely have an opinion on this and some add'l guidance as well.

Mr. BR
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:12 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't #3 the "standard", the one you never adjust, on Gen 1 & 2?

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't #3 the "standard", the one you never adjust, on Gen 1 & 2?

OP brought #3 down to 25CM then adjusted the other three to match.

1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2016 Yamaha FZ-07
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

Ai have read, and I tend to believe, that throttle body synch does not effect once you get past idle, and ďoff idleĒ acceleration. Itís way over rated in thinking that it effects certain issues (such as vibration).

Iím amazed that even at my elevated age Iím able to learn new things, so feel free to school me if you donít agree.
Gitbox likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:31 AM
FJR Top Gun

Jim, others may disagree but iíve done many carb/tb syncís over the years and quite frankly balance is balance and it affects everything from idle to redline and for me if done right is noticeable across the entire range. On my 14a it did improve the 3500-4500rpm vibration zone some, not a huge improvement but better.

The ability to actually adjust the throttle blade differences on the gen 1 & 2ís vs just an airbleed on the gen 3ís is a huge plus in my opinion because being able to adjust the throttle blade differences (the unauthorized sync) out will definitely affect things like response and vibration throughout the entire rpm range. Everything is working together vs on the gen 3 & 3.5ís where you just have whatever manufacturing tolerances are, whatever that is, but I can garantee it ainít zero.
N4HHE likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlanejr View Post
I read what he did, that's why I asked. On Gen1 & 2, #3 never gets adjusted so he screwed it up from the get-go. The 2006 FSM clearly states,

"With throttle body #3 as standard, adjust throttle bodies #1, #2, and #4 using the air screw "1"."

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlanejr View Post
I read what he did, that's why I asked. On Gen1 & 2, #3 never gets adjusted so he screwed it up from the get-go. The 2006 FSM clearly states,

"With throttle body #3 as standard, adjust throttle bodies #1, #2, and #4 using the air screw "1"."
Ok now I’m confused and a bit concerned..another post here mentions to close all air screws and make new adjustments..so if #3 should not be adjusted then my base line will be at 27cm?? I’m not able to get#4 passed 24cm and that is with the screw closed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page