Fuel reserve - Edumacate me... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Question Fuel reserve - Edumacate me...

I haven't been able to find a good explanation for how the reserve fuel system works on my 2018. My motorcycles from days gone by had a petcock valve that you turned to access the reserve, but there's no such thing with the FJR, so how exactly does the reserve fuel get accessed? When my LCD is down to one segment and my indicator light is blinking, my range seems to match - going all the way down to 15 miles. But when I fill it up, I've only been able to squeeze 4.5 or so gallons into the tank. So this makes me wonder... Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks!!

2018 MT-09
2018 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:33 PM
FJR Top Gun

That is about the same as others observe. When “reserve” kicks in and 4th display appears on the right panel counting miles on reserve, I find the 6.6 gallon tank holds 5.0 gallons.

Of course last week it made a liar out of me: 15 miles past “reserve” only held 5.002 gallons. Should have held 5.3 gallons! Is simply awful, I don’t know what to do!

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Technically there is no reserve, there is only a warning that it is getting low and you only have so many more miles to ride and then it's up to you to refill.

many of us compute mileage by miles driven and gallons used (EX: 200 miles ridden by 5 gallons to refill= 40 mpg) then multiply that to figure how far we can go (at that mileage technically you should be able to go 264 miles on a 6/6 gallon tank) . I use Trip A to let me know how many miles I have ridden in a day (I keep a log of daily miles), and Trip B to let me know how many miles are on this particular tank of gas. I usually refill when Trip B gets between 220 and 235 miles on it, but have gone as far as 250. Then when I refill I simply zero Trip B to start the process over again.
bounce, wheaton, Redfish and 2 others like this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 06-09-2019 at 01:01 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

I agree with @N4HHE and @the Ferret .

There is no "reserve" to access. Treat the gauge like the gauge in your automobile. I don't know of any cars or trucks today with a Reserve. Yamaha appears to have purposefully erred on the pessimistic side with our fuel gauges and I am okay with that. When my gauge shows empty I know I have about 1.5 gallons left. I know what my mileage averages and I make my decisions accordingly.

Unless you are willing to carry a gallon of fuel with you and run your tank dry on purpose it will be impossible for you to know exactly how much useable capacity you have. I would assume it would be slightly less than the full 6.6 gallons. YMMV... (see what I did there?)
the Ferret and PukinDogs like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'm thinking that I'll have to do the same - watch how many miles I think I'm getting and then just fill 'er up when it starts to get close. My ACE Tourer only got me about 125 miles before I needed to start to worry about filling up, but I do think the FJR will go better than that. At least, I hope...

2018 MT-09
2018 FJR1300A
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Unless there is something wrong with your bike, or you ride like a mad man, it will do 200 miles easy, and should do more than that. Do a couple tanks, refilling when it starts flashing or counting up, calculating your mileage on each tank, and you will know for sure.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnnights View Post
I'm thinking that I'll have to do the same - watch how many miles I think I'm getting and then just fill 'er up when it starts to get close. My ACE Tourer only got me about 125 miles before I needed to start to worry about filling up, but I do think the FJR will go better than that. At least, I hope...
You don't have to guess about your fuel mileage. The MPG display in your instrument cluster is pretty accurate. One or two fill ups and a few seconds with the calculator on your phone will tell you how close the bike's display is to reality.

If you only get 125 miles on a full FJR tank I don't even want to know how you are riding it! I do 200 miles when I am commuting to work and back, usually 250 miles when doing normal rides and it can stretch further if I need it to. I don't like worrying about running out of fuel.
bounce and wheaton like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I agree with @N4HHE and @the Ferret .

Unless you are willing to carry a gallon of fuel with you and run your tank dry on purpose it will be impossible for you to know exactly how much useable capacity you have. I would assume it would be slightly less than the full 6.6 gallons. YMMV... (see what I did there?)

And even then, that outcome only works when those riding conditions match exactly [external temp, speed, elevation, terrain, GVW (including gear and rider), distances between gas stations, right wrist, state of tune, etc.].

No amount of Googling (or asking others to Google for you) substitutes for seat time and experience with your bike of choice.
N4HHE and Redfish like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 06-10-2019 at 08:13 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:59 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
You don't have to guess about your fuel mileage. The MPG display in your instrument cluster is pretty accurate.
Accurate? 8% high on my 2016. Wanna see my spreadsheet of 51,000 miles of fuel purchases? The top line in chart is claimed MPG by FJR Fool Computer. Bolder white with red arrowheads is actual miles divided by gallons. Red line is a running average.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1281.jpg (147.6 KB, 77 views)
bounce and Redfish like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
You don't have to guess about your fuel mileage. The MPG display in your instrument cluster is pretty accurate. One or two fill ups and a few seconds with the calculator on your phone will tell you how close the bike's display is to reality.

Well, I'm not so sure about that. My remaining miles fluctuates so wildly as I'm riding that I really don't have much faith in it. Eventually, I'll have a pretty good handle on how many actual miles I can ride before I can expect that readout to start whining, and then I'll feel a little better about things

2018 MT-09
2018 FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page