Fuel reserve - Edumacate me... - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

I agree with others. The "range" is meaningless. I checked several tanks to figure out what the error is on my average mpg readout. I do the math in my head to calculate my range. BTW, today was my high. I calculated that I got 52 actual mpg on a 240 mile tankful.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

@N4HHE , my MPG readout is also slightly optimistic but 8% or so is close enough for my purposes in this case. I do not like to cut it close when it comes to running out of fuel. Your chart is pretty impressive, BTW. I like that. I would not want an 8% error in a more critical instrument for sure but I can live with it for an estimation.

@saturnnights , surely you have found not just the Range/Miles Left but also the MPG? You do know you can set up those menus however you want right?

@jjscsix , I have to ask you the same thing. What does the MPG say? How close is that to reality?
wheaton and N4HHE like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:41 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnnights View Post
Well, I'm not so sure about that. My remaining miles fluctuates so wildly as I'm riding that I really don't have much faith in it. Eventually, I'll have a pretty good handle on how many actual miles I can ride before I can expect that readout to start whining, and then I'll feel a little better about things
"Remaining Miles" gets confused for a while after being parked on sidestand. Then again, so does the fuel gauge.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:47 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
@N4HHE , my MPG readout is also slightly optimistic but 8% or so is close enough for my purposes in this case. I do not like to cut it close when it comes to running out of fuel. Your chart is pretty impressive, BTW. I like that. I would not want an 8% error in a more critical instrument for sure but I can live with it for an estimation.
Knowing there is an error I have no excuse if I let it fool me.

However if it is telling you that it is using 50 MPG and you bet on it, you might get in trouble because it was really using 46 MPG. As it is, you always need more fuel than the Lie-O-Meter would have you expect.
Redfish likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:

@saturnnights , surely you have found not just the Range/Miles Left but also the MPG? You do know you can set up those menus however you want right?

@jjscsix , I have to ask you the same thing. What does the MPG say? How close is that to reality?
Mine typically reads about 1.5 higher than my calculated actual.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's all in the manual.... when the "F" trip meter starts counting up, you start using your reserve of 5 litres remaining fuel at that point. Both my FJR's would go 60 miles before sputtering out..... test yours for any difference there may be to that.... some guys have posted up pics of putting in 6 gallons or more right about the sputtering out point.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:

That's okay on daily commutes where there are tons of gas stations everywhere. When out on the open road, that's less certain and the MPG accuracy becomes more important. I've never seen an onboard computer get very close when compared to running the numbers.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I find it very easy: once the last bar on the fuel gauge starts flashing, the display starts counting up from zero. My bike does this with approx. 1.5 gallons left in the tank (verified several times). This means that I can ride another 60 miles before I run out. The bike is keeping track of this for me, so nothing to remember. I typically don't go past 40 miles in this mode, so hardly ever put more the 6 gallons in. Of course you have to adjust the 60 mile range if you are doing anything out of the ordinary, like climbing a mountain etc. The Range calculation in the display on the other hand is useless - it reaches Low when I still have a gallon left (i.e. at least 40 miles)...
wheaton, N4HHE and CO_Dave like this.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Knowing there is an error I have no excuse if I let it fool me.

However if it is telling you that it is using 50 MPG and you bet on it, you might get in trouble because it was really using 46 MPG. As it is, you always need more fuel than the Lie-O-Meter would have you expect.
That is exactly what I was trying to say. It's not perfect by any means and I use it with a substantial built in safety margin.

As @bounce pointed out if you ride it enough you get a pretty good idea of what it will do and what it can do.

It's not perfect by any means but I find the tools in the FJR instrument cluster very useful.
bounce, wheaton and N4HHE like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

I once got caught out by a lack of fuel stations whilst touring Spain. My low fuel warning started flashing and indicated range was zero. I travelled 30 miles in that condition, somewhat anxiously I might say, and still found the tank took just 23 litres to fill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page