FJR Owners Forum banner

Time for a new CCT, new chain too ?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  RaYzerman 
#1 ·
After reading many posts on replacing the CCT on Gen1 bikes, I am about to order one with new gasket too for my '04 ABS with just over 60K on it. Is anyone replacing their cam chain at the same time, or is the original cam chain still good to go ? I do not hear any bad noises when just cranked and cold, perhaps a tiny bit of chain slop idling and nothing when warmed up or riding. What do the more experienced masters of the wrench say ?

#2 ·
Well, I am not an expert, but I do have an opinion.

If the FJR was a performance oriented bike, and/or you thought of it as "performance oriented" then it never hurts to replace a cam chain, even with only 60,000.

As the chain wears, and they all wear, cam timing is changed and there is a small loss of performance. Nothing I would ever notice, but still there.

Also, if you keep the FJR another 60,000 then there will be another minor performance hit.

On the other hand, several folks have put 2-300,000 on their FJR's and I don't think anyone has had a chain break. {someone recently had an oil pump chain break, and several have had engines grenade and blamed it on CCT's}.

So, unless you are REALLY, REALLY anal, you shouldn't change the cam chain out at 60,000. IMHO

Reactions: swamp shark
#9 · (Edited)
Thanks Phil for remembering me and my oil pump chain, I recently replaced my cam chain, at 163,000km, it was worn 8 mm longer than anew chain, and I had only 3mm of CCT adjustment left
Well, if I ever get to 125,000 miles I will replace my CCT again AND the cam chain. {I put a green/blue dot CCT in at 50,000m}.

Of course many FJR's have a LOT more miles than that on their original Cam Chains, but if you're going in there to do a CCT, then 40 dollars for a Cam Chain, seems trivial, and I would hate to think the CCT was working properly, but at some point the Cam Chain stretched so far that it rendered it useless. KABOOM

#4 ·
I have heard various reports of chains stretched at higher mileage, never one breaking, but the darn thing is cheap.... if you're doing a valve check, the valve cover is off and easy access, so why not. If you decide not to at 60k, that's not a problem either, that is, I wouldn't remove the valve cover just for that.
CCT change on a Gen 1 is a no brainer, just do it. Be sure to zip tie the chain at the crankshaft sprocket so you don't risk losing cam timing.

Reactions: swamp shark
#5 ·
Thanks for replies, just put in order from Bike Bandit for CCT and gasket, and no new chain. Talked to a Yamaha mechanic who said most CCT changes he had done on FJR's were not necessary !? Better safe than sorry, and I will take care of a couple other needed actions under the tank while putting in the CCT as well, going to trim the plug wires back a touch, maybe do a throttle body adjustment too.

#6 ·
Similar question, one level deeper...

I have an '05 with what looks like the original CCT (no dot). When I got it this bike (with 74K miles) it sounded fine to me. When I switched to synthetic oil, it quieted down significantly. With an oil and plug change (102K) it got noisy for a bit and then quieted down. But it's sounding more like before I switched to synthetic. I'll attribute the initial noisy to the oil change as someone stated there is an undocumented oil feed to the CCT.

SO, I absolutely want to replace the CCT. Given the increasing/returning noisiness, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to do the chain in case it has stretched. My Haynes manual says I should replace the sprockets with the chain.:surprise:

Replacing the sprockets with the chain:

Necessary? Good idea? Marginal? Unnecessary?

Thanks!

#7 ·
I'd like to strangle swamp shark's mechanic... there's enough evidence of failed CCT's and grenaded engines.... basically, if you have an FJR with no dot on the CCT, you likely have the weak original design. Change it please.
Ludwig..... I wouldn't replace the sprockets unless very noticably worn, which I find hard to believe. Constantly lubricated..... at your mileage, you can do the chain, I see no harm in that, might even be a good idea for $40. You can maybe see how much chain stretch you have by lining up the timing marks at the crankshaft exactly and seeing how much the camshaft sprocket marks are off in relation to the cylinder head. If half a tooth off or more, yep, new chain is a good idea.

Reactions: JohnC
#10 ·
You can maybe see how much chain stretch you have by lining up the timing marks at the crankshaft exactly and seeing how much the camshaft sprocket marks are off in relation to the cylinder head. If half a tooth off or more, yep, new chain is a good idea.
Sounds like a great, simple check.

#8 ·
Yes, change out those CCTs. I just had my 16K service performed by my local shop and had a new updated CCT and gasket installed. Do it.

#11 ·
CCT is one thing, the chain is something else. I would never replace a cam chain without replacing all its associated sprockets and guides. I've seen too many times where a new chain has jumped a tooth due to sprocket wear.

#12 ·
On FJRs, or on other bikes? My new CCT and cam chain are in the garage, waiting for me to finish installing an MCCruise. So I have time to buy sprockets and guides if that is the consensus.

I need to get a clutch cover gasket, anyway...

#13 ·
My first FJR1300 the CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) failed at 60K on cold start up and the chain skipped a few teeth. Pulled head, bent exhaust valves, replaced & rebuilt the head. Well over $1500 in parts and several weekends wasted that I could have been on the French Rivera.

If in doubt replace the CCT. Chain is probably okay.

Cheers

#14 ·
If you can afford the downtime, I'd inspect the cam sprockets for wear before ordering new ones. Yes you normally should (with very high miles) replace sprockets, new chains and sprockets like each other.
FeralSharkCat, you are preaching to the converted here. I've heard too many stories like yours, and a new CCT is cheap insurance. If you hear any rattling at all from the right side, best park the bike and get on it..

Reactions: FeralSharkCat
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.