2007 AE clutch won't engage. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Sthomag

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2007 AE clutch won't engage.

This weekend I installed a new Power Commander V and disconnected the O2 sensor, after balancing the throttles and raising the idle speed to 1100 rpm. It made a huge difference in tractability, but now I have a new problem.

When the engine is at operating temperatures and has been idling in traffic in 1st gear for a while, the yellow light in the LCD display begins to flash, and the word Shift appears next it. The clutch then won't engage until I switch off the engine and restart.

This happens at the worst time, when I'm at a stoplight with a line of cars behind me. As far as I know, I didn't cut any wires, and I made sure to disconnect the correct connector. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

It may be totally unrelated to you modifying the bike, but i would retrace where you have been and pay attention to any earths you may have disturbed. I take it your bike is a 2006 onwards and they suffer from corrosion and overheating to the earthing points, they call them spiders on here!? (never got that) anyway do a search for earth spiders and have a read.

Next bleed the clutch, give it a good flush though, they are a pain to carry out maintenance on so they get missed, this causes problems.

You can also read the fault codes via the clocks so get a manual and do this as it may help.

Than we can go from there if any of the above does not sort it.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't have much experience with an AE, but have read about idle issues... too high and it won't engage.... shouldn't it be more like 900 for an AE? somebody will know.......

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the tips. It turned out that it was indeed the idle speed. When the engine heated up in traffic, the idle speed rose and the clutch refused to engage. Lowering the idle speed not only eliminated the problem, it also improved low speed behavior. Win-win.

Thanks again.
Polar, RaYzerman and rbentnail like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page