Should I Replace Thermostat - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Should I Replace Thermostat

I plan on doing a valve check at 30k and wonder since the cooling pipe comes out should I replace the thermostat since I'm in
There? Bought my 05 recently with spare parts and a new Stat was included. Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:11 AM
doc
Farkle Trainee

Thermostats degrade over time - I would question why you wouldnít replace it, not whether you should.

Cheers,

Anthony
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I would question why you would replace it if not needed. My bike is 12 y/o with 119,xxx miles and still runs the same operating temperature it did when it was new. To my knowledge there has never been any indication that these thermostats as a whole "degrade over time". If it ain't broke and it's given no indication that it will break soon then don't fix it.
JohnC, Gitbox and passx like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 05-22-2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: sum times mah spelin is atroshuss

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Given the history of "never heard of one failing" kinda thing, I'd say keep the new one as a spare.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangair View Post
I plan on doing a valve check at 30k and wonder since the cooling pipe comes out should I replace the thermostat since I'm in
There? Bought my 05 recently with spare parts and a new Stat was included. Just wondering.

I am most likely missing something here, but I cannot see the connection to the cooling pipes you will remove, I thought the thermostat was on top of the radiator hose above the reservoir which means you can easily change the thermostat during any coolant replacement? I have a '16, is it different on a '05 maybe.

/rogerf

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Gen 1 unique, thermostat is on top of the engine. He's basically saying he's going to have it apart, and while I'm in there.......
rogerf likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:44 PM
doc
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Gen 1 unique, thermostat is on top of the engine. He's basically saying he's going to have it apart, and while I'm in there.......
Exactly. And itís already a 14 year old part, and itís going to cost precisely zero dollars to replace it with the brand new boxed one he got for free with bike.

Cheers,

Anthony
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the replies, replacing or just cleaning the rust on pipe 1 will be a challenge not to mention valve check/adjust at the same time. Old timer dirt bike rider here, new to road bikes really since the Rd400 days. So besides all fluids changed I did the cct swap with a green dot one. Was bit of a challenge. I found out 2 different dealers wanted around 8 bills for this service, seemed a little steep. Can't say I will be comfortable wrenching into the unknown myself but what are ya gonna do.
So just ordering parts didn't start out well. Found out no stock anywhere in US for the coolant pipe. 10 located in Japan to hit the US in late June with no guarantee I would get one. Searched fleebay to find a used one that looks in good shape for $30 from Canada. Honestly not even sure I'll need one.. mine might clean up ok but didn't want to disassemble to find I'm SOL without a backup....anyway don't mean to ramble just a bit nervous taking this on.
doc likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

IMO you likely won't need a new one.... these coolant pipe units are sturdy and a little surface rust can be cleaned up easily (and use new O-rings for re-assembly of course).

Anything used on flea-bay is likely going to have the same rust as well.... those two pockets in the head tend to collect dirt, bugs and moisture, hence the rust.
On the T-stat..... you have one, change it while you're in there is my thought. When I bought my '05 some 5 yrs ago, I tore into it for a complete check over... valve check, coolant, plugs, TB synch etc... AND I put in a new OEM T-Stat. Bike had nearly 50K miles on it with little documented service history so I changed it and the bike's cooling system has been flawless ever since from near freezing temps to 100F+.
I may be doing my next valve check this weekend so I'll be looking at my pipes as well...

Regards,
Mr. BR
'05 FJR, 75K miles.

Last edited by Mr. BR; 05-23-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: clarity
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BR View Post
IMO you likely won't need a new one.... these are coolant pipe units are sturdy and a little surface rust can be cleaned up easily (and use new O-rings for re-assembly of course).

Anything used on flea-bay is likely going to have the same rust as well.... those two pockets in the head tend to collect dirt, bugs and moisture, hence the rust.
On the T-stat..... you have one, change it while you're in there is my thought. When I bought my '05 some 5 yrs ago, I tore into it for a complete check over... valve check, coolant, plugs, TB synch etc... AND I put in a new OEM T-Stat. Bike had nearly 50K miles on it with little documented service history so I changed it and the bike's cooling system has been flawless ever since from near freezing temps to 100F+.
I may be doing my next valve check this weekend so I'll be looking at my pipes as well...

Regards,
Mr. BR
'05 FJR, 75K miles.

Yes...that's most likely the case. Just being cautious. I'm more concerned what I saw at the bottom of the wells. The bolts were covered in rust, might be difficult to get the allen wrench to fit and heaven forbid the snap off trying to get them out! Any suggestions on getting them out?...maybe let them soak in some "break free" lube?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page