ineffective rear brake? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

ineffective rear brake?

Just acquired an 06 AE with ABS. It sat for 2 years.

replaced battery, tires.

Couple of issues..

ABS light is on and stays on.
I removed both front and rear wheels to replace tires. Did not realize that the Black round sensor mount that comes off with the wheel is supposed to line up with something? Will have to check this and correct if it's wrong.
While breaking in the new tires this afternoon I tried making a stop and slow speed using just the rear brake. It hardly did anything in spite of me practically standing on the pedal. Maybe air in the brake line? I can easily lock up the rear tire on my other two bikes. (non abs)

Any help appreciated!

2006 FJR AE
2006 Vulcan Drifter 800
2014 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

ineffective rear brake?

Tristar,

How far down does the brake pedal go, when you stand on it?

If you disconnect the master cylinder linkage, does the brake pedal pivot freely? The pivot shaft needs to be cleaned and lubed now and then.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 PM
doc
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristar500 View Post
<snip> It sat for 2 years.

<snip>
Flush and bleed the brakes.
bounce likes this.

Cheers,

Anthony

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Absolutely flush and bleed if it sat. ABS light is on until you go ride. If it is on while riding, then something's up. Be sure to cycle the ABS system either with a jumper or the ABS wire harness available to order. If it sat, I'd cycle it a few times and re-bleed after the last one.

The sensors themselves can accumulate some white corrosion from the aluminum adapter plate, which will bridge electrically. Remove, clean and grease with some silicone grease (although anything will do) to prevent future corrosion. If they are seized in the holes, carefully rotate a bit back and forth until they break free. That is the most likely cause of ABS light staying on while riding.
Yes, check and disassemble/grease the rear brake pedal pivot whether it needs it or not. Brake light staying on can also be an issue.
Black round ABS adapter plates must be in the mating groove/bump so they don't rotate while riding. That will not cause an ABS light if out of place (as sensors are gapped correctly to the trigger wheel), but do get them in properly.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Stupid question, but is the rear wheel assembled correctly? The hub the ABS sensor fits in is supposed to move freely, but only maybe 5 to 10 degrees until the rear brake stay is in place.. If it moves more than that, it is not properly indexed. There is a lug on the caliper carrier that must fit between two ribs on the ABS plate to properly position everything.

Drove me up the wall the first time I reassembled the rear wheel.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

http://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=34

http://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=31

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page