ABS brakes - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
I don't know if it's improved on the Gen 3, but I live on a gravel road and I've played with traction control on that road. My bike doesn't spin in low or second gear, but it doesn't shut the motor down. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I could accelerate on loose surfaces. I know it does a better job that I'd be likely to do.

The FJR didn't get Traction Control until the Gen3 came out in 2013. I don't know how much it has been refined since then or if it has at all.

I know that it works pretty well on my '15ES. When it is working things are usually kind of exciting so I cannot look down at the instrument cluster but I can see that little yellow/orange flicker down there at the edge of my vision. I can feel it doing its thing but it isn't messing me up so I am good with it.

I like my ABS too.

I figure if I get killed on this motorcycle it won't be because of ABS or Traction Control. Both seem to do exactly what they are supposed to do.
RaYzerman, wheaton and the Ferret like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
The FJR didn't get Traction Control until the Gen3 came out in 2013. I don't know how much it has been refined since then or if it has at all.
Well! Shows you what I know about previous models. From the way Blue Gen2 was talking I thought it really sucks on his 2012.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Well! Shows you what I know about previous models. From the way Blue Gen2 was talking I thought it really sucks on his 2012.
@Mr_Ed it's All Good. In 2013 Yamaha gave the FJR ride by wire for the first time. That gave us Traction Control, Dual Engine Maps (Sport and Touring) and most importantly, Cruise Control. I like my Cruise Control!

I cannot say exactly what Blue Gen2 was talking about. The 2012 was the last and arguably the best of the Gen2 FJRs. It was a great color, (Cobalt Blue) it had heated grips standard and all the refinements that Yamaha never advertised over its 6 years of production including a very refined ABS.

It did NOT have Traction Control. All of the responsibility for that lies in the right wrist of the operator.
passx and 2GENAE like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
@Mr_Ed it's All Good. In 2013 Yamaha gave the FJR ride by wire for the first time. That gave us Traction Control, Dual Engine Maps (Sport and Touring) and most importantly, Cruise Control. I like my Cruise Control!

I cannot say exactly what Blue Gen2 was talking about. The 2012 was the last and arguably the best of the Gen2 FJRs. It was a great color, (Cobalt Blue) it had heated grips standard and all the refinements that Yamaha never advertised over its 6 years of production including a very refined ABS.

It did NOT have Traction Control. All of the responsibility for that lies in the right wrist of the operator.
I bought my 2013 because it finally got cruise control. I'd wanted an FJR for some time, but I need cruise control on my touring bike. I saw an ad for the '13 and the words "electronic cruise control" fairly jumped off the page at me

Obviously, I can't say exactly what he was talking about either.
wheaton and Redfish like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I would say to Ludwig, do not be afraid to use the rear brake, it's not all that powerful and you can test that by using it only to decelerate. It will lock up in a panic stop where the weight is all thrown forward and the rear end gets really light, and if that ever comes up, just back off (train yourself). On my '07, I could lock up the rear on rapid deceleration going too hot into a corner, trying to scrub off a bit of speed, but found I wasn't using the front. I have skidded a car tire for 50 feet, oops. Fixed that by making it a habit to use both brakes, the fronts are very effective. I've never skidded the rear if I used the fronts as well.
Meanwhile perhaps look into why the ABS isn't working.... and it may be possible to revive it. It's best to have it working for sure.

While most of the braking is done with the front, I use both. 25% of the front pads are controlled by the rear pedal if you push on it hard enough. It's like riding with your two fingers covering the front brake.... your rear pedal is at the ready for that panic stop, and you'll need all the brakes you can get.
"[The rear brake is] not all that powerful" - we agree. That's why I'm willing to keep the bike and not use the rear brake instead of laying out the cash for a newer bike with functioning ABS on both ends.

"It will lock up" - agreed, but I'll add even if it isn't a panic stop.

"Look into why the ABS isn't working" - this is a known issue with Gen I bikes. If you don't actuate the ABS unit when flushing the brakes, the ABS pistons eventually gum up. Fixing generally means buying a used unit off eBay, hoping it works, and installing it. Estimates are about $1000 just to try. I bought this bike with 74K on it and found out the rear ABS didn't work after several months. I researched the fix on this board.

"25% of the front pads are controlled by the rear pedal" - maybe on your bike. But not on a Gen I, which is what I ride. On a Gen I none of the front pads are controlled by the rear pedal. And none of the rear pads are controlled by the front lever. That changed with Gen II in 2006.

I want all the brakes that can safely be used. I'll assume you've ridden on pavement and had the rear end lock up and come around. It creates a nasty wobble when you get off the rear brake. If you're unlucky it just plain high sides you. Reaction times are normally around 1/2 a second. That's plenty of time for the back to get further around. And as you pointed out, as I stop more strongly with the front, the lighter the back gets, which also means the rear wheel is more likely to lock given the same brake pressure.

If you like rolling the dice on a high side, go ahead. I'll trade bikes with you. This bike catapulted me off through a 135 degree arc, where I landed head first on my head/helmet and shoulder coming down as if I'd been thrown like spear. I was going so slow the bike slid less than 15 inches on its side. I didn't slide at all, just fell like a tree on my right side. I got a[nother] concussion, broke the clavicle, and cracked several ribs. That's what can happen when the back end comes around, even when it isn't a panic stop.

For the trade, it's got an RDL, Shad with Admore, Yamaha heated grips, FZ1 mirrors, extra '03 windshield, fork brace, and significant extra wiring/electronics/lights/brackets for helping at bicycle charity rides. Oh, and some scratches, too.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I haven't tested Gen1 brakes, only Gen2 and 3.... maybe the non-linked are more powerful, or at least it sounds like it. I have skidded the rear wheel 50 feet more than once, my rear end drifted but never came around (on hot pavement ~40 mph, Gen2). Judging by your story, I understand the hesitation, but what do the non-ABS Gen1 guys do.....
The Gen1 ABS unit design was..... primitive. Spool valves and lots of speculation about what went wrong with them.... plenty of Gen2 units available for cheap, but Gen1 units are scarce.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
I don't know if it's improved on the Gen 3, but I live on a gravel road and I've played with traction control on that road. My bike doesn't spin in low or second gear, but it doesn't shut the motor down. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I could accelerate on loose surfaces. I know it does a better job that I'd be likely to do.

That heppened to me in a 97 toyota avalon. Glad to know the fjr won't do it!

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion. The traction control that almost got me killed was in a toyota avalon - not a bike, at all.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

A slow semi pulls out across the road. I know I can't stop in time...

I lock the rear tire, jerk ither of the handlebars and I'm on the pavement, sliding underneath it...

No - wait - the computer won't LET me lock the tire. So I'm FUC+ING DEAD.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I haven't tested Gen1 brakes, only Gen2 and 3.... maybe the non-linked are more powerful, or at least it sounds like it. I have skidded the rear wheel 50 feet more than once, my rear end drifted but never came around (on hot pavement ~40 mph, Gen2). Judging by your story, I understand the hesitation, but what do the non-ABS Gen1 guys do.....
The Gen1 ABS unit design was..... primitive. Spool valves and lots of speculation about what went wrong with them.... plenty of Gen2 units available for cheap, but Gen1 units are scarce.
I didn't have ABS on my Z-1 or KZ1100. I recall picking the Z-1 up when the front locked in the rain and it went down fast. I don't recall the back end on either coming around like with the FJR, so I'm thinking maybe I wasn't using the front as strongly back then. I think ABS took my fear out of locking the front wheel. Before the high side, I'd had the wobble maybe half a dozen times.

I keep thinking about upgrading. The biggest thing stopping me is whether my wife would ride if I got a Gold Wing. I'd rather get a 2016+ FJR than a GW if she's not going to ride. But if she'd ride, I'd happily give up the FJR for a GW with her.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page