4Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnC
  • 2 Post By MrZappo
  • 1 Post By philharmonic

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Dual horn upgrade - 2007 Gen II

So I just finished installing the PIAA dual slimline horn (400/500 Hz) pair on my 2007.
Seems to be louder than the stock horn pair.
I am reading varying opinions on including a relay. I don't understand why a relay would benefit a straight re & re horn installation. Perhaps on a single horn Gen III upgrade??
I did find that the stock wiring is too short and built short 2" wire extensions. I bolted the new horns onto the stock metal mounting brackets. I tried mounting them behind the two threaded 10mm bolts on either side of the radiator but the PIAA's did not sit flat in this location.

2007 Gen. II FJR
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
2005 Kawasaki Concours C10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I know that MamaYama, with no other changes to the horn wiring, went to a single (anemic) horn on the Series III FJRs. The earlier bikes seem to work just fine over the years without a horn relay.

The previous horn threads are pretty much split on the necessity for a relay when you install that particular dual horn kit. I decided that a horn relay wasn't necessary.

So I was curious . . .

I got out my handy-dandy DMM and measured (when in doubt, always measure, if possible) the current both sets of horns pull. Results: The single OEM horn seems to pull about 55% of the current that dual PIAAs pull, further reinforcing my belief that a relay wasn't necessary.

On the other hand, it's your bike. If installing a horn relay with the PIAAs will help you sleep better at night, go for it. These automotive relays are not very expensive.
Bob Collings likes this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks JohnC
Great feedback - no relay for this guy. 2 horns out - 2 new PIAA's in.

2007 Gen. II FJR
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
2005 Kawasaki Concours C10

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

If I remember correctly, the gentleman behind Two Wheeled Obsession made this conversion as well and created an instructional video of his experience. If I remember correctly, he did some kind of actual test of the db levels of the standard vs. PIAA's and in his testing the stock single horn was louder - which is a surprise to most us! For what it's worth ....

Current: 2016 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
Previous: 2006 Kawasaki Concours
Previous: 1989 Suzuki GS850G
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
Installed mine 4 years ago with no relay ... I (unfortunately) seem to use the horn often ... I have had ZERO issues ...

And I don't know about any tests ... The stocker may be "louder" as measured with a sound measuring device but It is no where near as irritating as the double horn with two different pitches ... And when i'm honking, I want to be IRRITATING ...

Great upgrade and id do it again ...
JohnC and Sete Bond like this.

Workin' them angels overtime ...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZappo View Post
......., I want to be IRRITATING ...
You're doing great, keep up the good work!!

I agree, the dual tones seem to get folks' attention better than the RoadRunner "mmmp mmmp" of the stock horns, even if there are two of them, despite claims of reduced db level. Part of it too I think may be that the stock horns are like a speaker and face fwd whereas the PIAA Dual Tones face downward. All I know is that the PIAA work and sound great when going through a tunnel.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-Honda-GL...72.m2749.l2649

I installed these Goldwing horns on my 07, and even after a couple of months {I don't toot my own horn often, LOL} I still jump when I beep the horn, not yet used to the amount of noise.

The electrical connection is Plug and Play, {I did NOT use a relay}, but the physical mounting is NOT plug and play.

I had to readjust the main part of the horn in relation to the mounting arm {there is a bolt where the mounting arm connects to the horn that allows 360 degree's of movement} and I even had to grind some of the "bell" part so the fork tubes would not hit it.

Still, I am very happy with the results.
Sete Bond likes this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Last edited by philharmonic; 04-26-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page