FJR Owners Forum banner

Dash info has gone nuts

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  JohnC 
#1 ·
2014 ES. Thought I saw this the other day but could not find it so here goes. Out on Sunday ride going down the road with 30 miles on a full tank, cruise set, and all of a sudden it goes off. Display shows check engine light, TCS light, ABS light, cruise indicator flashing. Bike still rides as normal just no cruise or speedo indication.

Arrived at a strip center with some civilization and pulled in. Shut bike off and let it sit for a few minutes to see if it would clear up (yeah right). Start bike up and same problem except the TCS light does not light up.

Same thing, no cruise or speedo indication. Gas gauge indication still works, temp of ambient and coolant still works. Gas mileage, distance to empty, odometer info does not work. Heated grips still work, windshield goes up and down so everything else on the handle bar toggle seems to still function normally but something nuts in the speed circuit apparently.

Anyone else had this happen or am I the first? I'm getting to be a real puss in my old age without the cruise. Oh and officer, I know you won't believe me but my speedometer just quit working. Thought I was somewhere around the speed limit. Best I remember 5000 rpm is about 75? :nerd:
I hate going to the dealer so thought maybe someone here had this happen and a fix.

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't had that, but I did experience something similar. I believe I disconnected the battery for 5 mins and that seemed to of cleared it all up. Reminds of that line from Planes, Trains and Automobiles...

Officer: You have no functioning gauges. Del: No...not a one. However the radio still works...funny as that may seem...with all this mess the radio is the only thing really working good. Clear as a bell, don't ask me how.

#3 ·
You may have faulty speed sensor inputs. Remove the ABS sensors, clean them of any white corrosion that may bridge, including the hole they go in, a little smear of silicone grease on each, reinstall. Try that first, it's the obvious (to me). All your issues seem to be related to "speed".
Check engine and TCS will come on if no signals from the rear, but will go away when restored. Front is tied to cruise. ABS obviously to both, and both signals go through the ABS ECU first.
Go into DiAG mode, there is likely codes set for the wheel sensors..... if you don't have the FSM, I'll dig them up.

#6 ·
What we have here is operator error. I recently changed the rear tire as I have done since I bought my 08 years ago. Have changed many rear tires on the FJR's over the years so not a rookie but I did make a rookie mistake this time. Went to remove the ABS sensor and could not remove it because the frame was in the way. Why would Yamaha make it so you have to remove the axle to rotate the sensor up to remove it?

They did not build it that way. I missed the notch where the ABS magnet sits on the brake caliper. This gave the cable enough slack to rub on the rotor and finally rubbed through the insulation causing it to short out. Did not break the cable so wrapped it in 3M electrical tape and all is well now. All lights are out and cruise has returned.

Will triple check from now on.

Thanks for all your help. Should have looked before posting.

#7 ·
How about another rookie mistake (I'm too old to be a rookie). A year ago, mounted up a tire on a spare wheel I bought. Couldn't understand why all the lights, no speedo... er, I forgot to install the ABS sensor plate in the wheel.... duh!

#10 ·
My ambient air temp read 66 degrees for 20 minutes yesterday (it was in the upper 70's to low 80's). Everything else read accurately. It woke up after a few miles in traffic.
Figures- no problems whatsoever until the nice weather arrives. Dump that POS now before it lives in shop for a few months. I'll give you $250 to take it off your hands, just because I like you :grin:. And because I'm a sweetheart like that!

Reactions: Bill Lumberg
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.