• 1 Post By RaYzerman
  • 1 Post By passx
  • 1 Post By D-Dub

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
waterless coolant

Has anyone used this in their bikes. I was going to put it in my BMW auto but just sold it. So now im thinking for the FJR. If you cant trust Jay who can you trust
https://youtu.be/t7PykrgzWPQ

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Save yer money! There is no advantage to using it, the regular stuff works just fine and the cooling system is quite adequate.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 AM
FJR Top Gun

I have it in my 76 gl1000 because it is pretty heavily modified (54rwhp to now at 91rwhp) and the bike ran hot and overheated when going down the highway in excess of 70mph. A custom radiator and many other mods to help keep it from overheating. The Evans waterless coolant is presented as helping to cool better when in fact my bike actually ran a bit hotter.

I called Evans and their tech/engineer said that was fairly normal that it may run slightly warmer but with less temperature variation. Don’t know what to think about it, I ended up finding that the chin spoiler I had added seemed to be inhibiting the air from going through the radiator at speed and causing the overheating.

I tend to go along with Ray’s assessment, the Evans is still in the G-Wing the temp is a bit warmer but there is less swing to it but i’ll say that if you need more coolant on the road you’re kinda screwed because you can’t just add some water. So i’d add that in that regard normal coolant that you can find anywhere is better. It’s a bit of an ordeal to change the G-Wing back so i’ve yet to do that. Anyway that’s my .02, hope it helps.
Bob Collings likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 04-15-2019 at 09:09 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Just an FYI.
Many many moons ago... I checked into the waterless coolants and found that (at the time) they were only coolant and would freeze at similar temps as water. I couldn't justify draining the cooling system every winter for the small gain in anti-boil protection.
bounce likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I did the propylene glycol coolant (Engine Ice) and saw no difference in op temps. At $20+ a gallon, it was a waste of money.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:18 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Evans waterless coolant is not what it appears to be.
Look up videos online about tests done on it.
It appears to me to be marketing an overpriced product, that is not nessecary.
Regular coolant changes with the specified coolant is all thats needed.

05 FJR A
Nitron Sport Shock
MRA Vario Screen
FZ1 Mirrors
Corbin front saddle
Pyramid Hugger
Fender extender
Heli Risers
Oxford Heated grips
V-Strom Handguards
Foot shields
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I was going to use it in my BMW 540I with 4.5 liter V8. That system runs hot and has a normal operating pressure of 22-23 psi which puts a lot of stress on the plastic radiator end caps and overflow tank. They tend to fail quit often. A lot of the 540I guys run it to lower the system pressure which reduces the stress on the radiator. I sold the car but was kinda wondering about the bike.I will stay with the ethylene glycol.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For the Beemer, couldn't you just run a lower pressure rad cap? That's what determines the pressure, not what coolant is in it.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
For the Beemer, couldn't you just run a lower pressure rad cap? That's what determines the pressure, not what coolant is in it.
Yes some of the guys have changed to a lower cap. But if memory serves me it had to do with emissions for that engine. I dont remember all the details but there was a lot of discussion on blown radiators for that engine

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra-z1 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was going to use it in my BMW 540I with 4.5 liter V8. That system runs hot and has a normal operating pressure of 22-23 psi which puts a lot of stress on the plastic radiator end caps and overflow tank. They tend to fail quit often. A lot of the 540I guys run it to lower the system pressure which reduces the stress on the radiator. I sold the car but was kinda wondering about the bike.I will stay with the ethylene glycol.

I remember reading about it when Wingsters first found it decades ago. Interesting. It most definitely would reduce pressure because you do things to the system to make it run as an un/low-pressure system (modified/changed radiator cap IIRC).

Like others have said, it could leave you in a world of hurt out on the road unless you carry your replacements with you.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page