FJR 2013 problem restarting - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

FJR 2013 problem restarting

My FJR runs perfectly, but after stopping and leaving for 10-20 mins it will not restart. It turns over but just will not fire. I've checked and there's no power to the fuel pump. When the engine temperature drops back to 67 degrees (Centigrade) it always then immediately starts.

If I just have a quick fuel stop (5 mins) it always restarts without any problem.

Could the fuel pump relay be great sensitive like this, or any other suggestions?

Obviously more of a hassle in the summer than winter, and as I'm mainly commuting on it, it's not normally too much of a problem for me,but I need to get it sorted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

How long is your commute? How many miles on the bike?

Wondering why the fuel pump won't run when it does at other times. Doesn't quite make sense. Fuel pump shouldn't be intermittent... not saying it isn't.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

What year is the bike, check all the start cut out switches, side stand, clutch lever, may be ignition switch, your fuel pump relay would fail while the bike was running not after you switched the bike off.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Twice this has happened to me. Turned it off, went into a shop, hung around for a little while, come back out and it wont start even after hitting the button 4 or 5 times for a short burst. The first time I let it sit awhile pondering what could be wrong, tried again and it restarted. The second time it wouldn't start, I turned off the key, then turned it back on with a good click making sure it was all the way to the right and it started. Don't know if it's the switch or something else? Guess I have to wait until it won't start at all, get it into the shop and let them have a go at it. (still under warranty). Really has me considering an extended warranty. Mine is a 2018 A model with about 12,500 miles on it, ridden every day

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

True the ignition switches need to be fully in the ON position, perhaps wiggle it a bit to see if the fuel pump starts up. Remember the 2016 recall? Fault would set due to ignition not being fully on, resolved by a software upgrade. Other years (I believe '07 and previous had ignition switch recalls). Some have refreshed their ignition switches by taking them apart and cleaning up/lubing the contacts in the bottom.

Ray
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

It's a 2013, commute is about 45 miles. Only seems to happen once the bike has been run up to normal operating temperature.

Could relay be not switching when it's hot, e.g. stays switched once in use, but then won't switch again until it cools down?

I'll try fiddling with it ignition switch next time, but when I have been trying to start previously it's involved lots of turning on and off.

Have checked the side stand and clutch switches, all good.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The fuel pump relay is on with ignition all the time, not a common failure. Fuel pump will not cycle if fuel rail pressure has been reached (engine not running), ie., it cycles with ignition on and then stops.
Check gear position switch/clean it to ensure it thinks it is in neutral. Next time you have the issue, play with the shift lever a bit.

Perhaps spray contact cleaner in Stop/Start switch and cycle it a few time to ensure it is not intermittent.
Check fuel injection fuse and ignition fuse to ensure they have clean contact.

Ray
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:07 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
True the ignition switches need to be fully in the ON position, perhaps wiggle it a bit to see if the fuel pump starts up. Remember the 2016 recall? Fault would set due to ignition not being fully on, resolved by a software upgrade. Other years (I believe '07 and previous had ignition switch recalls). Some have refreshed their ignition switches by taking them apart and cleaning up/lubing the contacts in the bottom.
Mine's a '13 as well, and I've had this happen a couple of times. Switch off and back on and all's well. But it doesn't seem to have anything to do with temperature.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
'05 Burgman 650 -- you know, for, like, when I get old?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Have tried fiddling with ignition,side-stand, clutch and red ignition cut-off switches but makes no difference. Disconnecting the battery for 30s and then reconnecting doesn't help either.

Also whilst it won't restart I can't get into diagnostics either, so can't run any checks from there (access returns as soon as bike has restarted)

Any other suggestions very welcome?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Is there any other things out of the normal showing up, any part of the dash panel not working, fuel pump priming, indicators flashing, and so on. Could be many different issues, first check the battery, how old is it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page