Anti Seize for brake caliper pins.. - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Gary, we're talking about anti-seize on the threads of the front caliper pins, nowhere else. The portion that goes through the pads should be clean and dry.
Rear is another story, you're right, nothing but silicone brake grease there for sure.
Yanno, after I wrote that I thought, "maybe they're talking about the pins that do nothing but hold the pads in place".

I'll just stay in my quiet space, now.

'06 Suzuki DR650
'15 Yamaha FJR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

After Barry posted about the ceramic grease, I remembered I just ran out of silicone brake grease...... however, marketing being what it is, I usually check the MSDS sheets to see what's in stuff.... no ceramic in the brake grease, but it will not melt up to 3000F.
Silver anti-seize has aluminum powder not silver. Copper has a bit of copper..... given red's link, probably best avoid copper and aluminum. Stainless and aluminum don't get along very well at all, so use anti-seize there.
Wee story, at the automaker where I worked, we had to order spare caps for the TPMS sensors because they were shiny and kept getting stolen (polished aluminum). It was funny to hear several tales of those who put them on their rubber valve stems and they welded themselves on there. Aluminum and brass don't mix either. There's a reason you have a plastic cap on your brass valve stems...
Additional note, take out your engine mount bolts (the ones where you mount crash bars and sliders), and lube them up with anti-seize. Brush a wee bit in the threaded hole before you install so it takes some to the back side. Trust me, I've seen too many damaged threads......
cra-z1 and Bob Collings like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:41 PM
FJR Top Gun

My understanding of “anti-Seize” from when I worked at Bendix/Bosch Brakes, Is it was generally poo-poo’d for anything having to do with brake parts, and was generally pushed to use the lastest brake goo mix but quite frankly i’ve Had the best results on the caliper slider pins with the silver stuff. Just went through all the brakes on my 81cbx and all the pins were still well coated (about 10yrs) and free.

As far as the copper anti-seize is concerned I was always told it was for higher temp uses. Do your own thing just be careful not to get it all over things.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 04-02-2019 at 09:44 PM.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

I reckon you are all over-thinking this.

I've used a product called Never-Seez for 30 + years in maintenance and engineering.

Bostik Never-Seez Regular Grade Anti-Seize Lubricant.

https://www.ellsworth.com/products/b...lver-1-lb-can/

$26 + shipping for a 1 lb can.
Bob Collings likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstormer View Post
I reckon you are all over-thinking this.
^^this^^

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page