Fuse block selection - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Collings View Post
The issue is not one of power consumption but of tidy organization and the safety of a fuse for each of the circuits for the wiring for your accessories.
Right. You should always fuse any additional accessories you add. An aux fuse box encourages the use of fuses.

Having said that, I did not fuse or add a relay to the dual PIAA horns I installed on my 2013. Dual PIAAs pull the same power (I measured) that dual OEM horns pull.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Right. You should always fuse any additional accessories you add. An aux fuse box encourages the use of fuses.

Having said that, I did not fuse or add a relay to the dual PIAA horns I installed on my 2013. Dual PIAAs pull the same power (I measured) that dual OEM horns pull.
My bike is a 17 that came with a single horn..It was easier for me to spend $25 on a fused harness with relay than to research wire sizes and horn switch contacts and compare the 17 spec for both to earlier models that came with dual horns. Im lazy.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Farkle Trainee

Eastern Beaver is the gold standard. I had this on my old FJR and have this on my 2016 FJR and my 2014 Tiger 800 XC. Although I chose the 3CS-S 1 Fuse Unswitched option. I don't have that many connections for the PC-8. The 3CS-S is smaller and takes up less room. One switched input is for the garmin GPS. The other is for my handlebar mounted USB port. The unswitched is a coax connector straight to the battery (fused) for the heated gear (which I no longer use), the Battery Tender, or for jumper cables to and fro.

Bob Collings and slowdave like this.

My first car was a motorcycle.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Uncle Meat, I liked that option also but not sure where to tuck all that. The PC-8 I could fit under my seat but with such short battery leads does all that fit behind the battery cover area on FJR?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
Uncle Meat, I liked that option also but not sure where to tuck all that. The PC-8 I could fit under my seat but with such short battery leads does all that fit behind the battery cover area on FJR?

I extended the battery leads, fished them under the tank (make sure they are on top of the heat shield), and put the fuse block in that unused space in front of the rear light. I also fished the USB cable and Garmin cable under the tank at the same time. I didn't want to put the fuse block by the battery because I hate taking that @*&% tupperware battery cover off. This way I can easily check the connections/fuses and not give up one CC of under seat space. I used Eastern Beaver's waterproof connectors but I also soldered the wires to the pins. On any moving/vibrating machine, soldered connections are your best friends.
Bob Collings likes this.

My first car was a motorcycle.

Last edited by Uncle Meat; 03-04-2019 at 12:30 PM.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
The harness as bought from Eastern Beaver is specifically made for the FJR. If you click around on the site, you will find the FJR specific harness and there is an option to extend one of the leads 4 inches ... I would recommend this option.

If you get this specific harness, it reaches exactly to the battery with very little excess length ... It is just about perfect ... The eastern beaver guy knows what he is doing and a harness for a specific bike has been measured to fit perfectly for that bike ...

He does not have a lot of "specific" harnesses but he does make one for FJR.

Additionally, the harness is covered by a heat resistant sheath and there is not much of a need to route it away from heat ... Mine runs on the right side of the bike past the engine and it has zero issues. Or you can route under the tank ...

In any event, there is plenty of room for the harness and then I mounted the PC-8 under the seat as you are planning to do ...

This is a nice way to do it and many FJR's are out there with this exact setup ... It works well ...

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bi...c/FJR/fjr.html
Bob Collings likes this.

Workin' them angels overtime ...

Last edited by MrZappo; 03-04-2019 at 01:59 PM.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Fuse LESS block selection

I've been a fan of E Bev. For years, but on my FJR went with a "fuseLESS" circuit system. Call PDM. You will need software to set up the amperage of each circuit

I use for fog lites, heated clothing, charging phone and Sena, radar, front/video cameras. GPS's, and HAM radio.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...0aAstPEALw_wcB
FjrjrF likes this.

2000 BMW 100RT
2011 Honda NT700
2019 FJR (when they arrive in Nov of '1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxiecharles View Post
I've been a fan of E Bev. For years, but on my FJR went with a "fuseLESS" circuit system. Call PDM. You will need software to set up the amperage of each circuit

I use for fog lites, heated clothing, charging phone and Sena, radar, front/video cameras. GPS's, and HAM radio.

$318.00????.. holy cow, thats a lot of moolah
slowdave likes this.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Look up Neutrino Black Box. Best power distribution system. I installed it under the seat with a bunch of accessories including a denali air horn which pulls 20+amps. You control everything wirelessly with an app on your phone real time. No programming and downloading bs.

Last edited by RushNatU; 03-07-2019 at 09:03 PM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxiecharles View Post

Ahhhh but when it comes to the cadillac of power distribution the Rowe PDM60 is they way to go. I NEVER worry about my power draw for my attached electronis and lighting. I set the current draw and the "On" delay after the engine is started, and it takes care of all worries.

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page