Aux Tank Installation - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 278
Thanks Rich. Great looking setup! I’ve taken the tank in to a custom motorcycle shop (that mainly deals in rebuilding older metric/German bikes, not so much Harley’s) for the actual drilling/bulkhead fitting. I, too, will be running gravity, but will go with 1/4” lines. Looking forward to being able to stop for fuel at my choosing instead of the the bikes . I’ll post pics when all is completed, hopefully by next week.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
sector7g is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 278
For anyone who is thinking about doing this and having trouble locating parts, here is what I've come up with: (Most of the previous directional posts about this are outdated - websites don't exist any longer amongst other things. )

Summit Racing is a great place to find bulkhead fittings. There are others, but I was able to navigate and figure out best.
Starting at the Fuel Tank to the Aux Tank

VPE-11384 : -6AN to 1/4"NPT Female Swivel 90 Degree Adapter Fitting
EDD-844440 : Fitting, Brass, Straight, 1/4 in. Hose Barb, to 1/4 in NPT Male Threads
1/4" hose to a quick connect. (I had this previously, but there are some available at Summit as well)
1/4" hose to fuel filter (I'm using an inline K&N)
1/4" hose to on/off petcock to tank

I also purchased AEI-15644, which is a Fuel Cell Bulkhead Fitting. It contains 2 teflon washers and a nut. Others have mentioned on this forum this is what they've used. Ironically, it was cheaper to purchase this instead of the nut and 2 washers individually. Also, I can use this IF my other "brilliant" idea doesn't work out...

I went with the -6an instead of the 1/4" npt as the npt has tapered threads. Some websites say it's nearly impossible to use 2 nuts to tighten against the tank due to the taper, but some have done it.

Great website on the difference between AN and NPT:
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2013/...w-they-relate/

I will update in a few days as this project continues... I'm having a local shop do the drilling as I am not 100% confident in my abilities. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open! Thanks

Tim

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
sector7g is offline  
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:57 AM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
Herb Farr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Guelph ontario
Posts: 45
What diameter of line is everyone using in the gravity feed systems. Does 1/4 inch flow enough ?

Thansk

2017 FJR1300A
Guelph Ontario
Herb Farr is offline  
 
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Farr View Post
What diameter of line is everyone using in the gravity feed systems. Does 1/4 inch flow enough ?

Thansk
Great question. I ran the bike through a test this weekend and it worked well with 1/4" hose. My tank is on Gerauld's Passenger Aux Rack, which elevates the tank to the near top of the stock tank, but not fully above.
I found I was able to transfer the majority of the fuel within 25 minutes, but I believe I may of hit a point where the stock tank and the aux tank were near a similar level, thereby stopping the transfer. A day or two later, when the stock tank had used more fuel, I was able to complete the transfer.
I'll know more in a few weeks when my seat is returned (sent back to RDL for modification - I should of timed this better....). I'd certainly like to hear from others on hose line diameter, but I believe the 1/4" to sufficiently flow at a good rate.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
sector7g is offline  
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:15 AM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
Herb Farr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Guelph ontario
Posts: 45
Thanks for the reply Tim

I have a cheap motion pro dry break connector that was supposed to be 5/16 , but internally it seems slightly under 1/4 .....
The bottom of my fuel cell should end up about 1/4 of the way up the tank. It is going to sit between the grab bars. My plan is have it clip on using the rear seat locking points . I just finished cutting the corners of the cell , welding in new material and preasure testing it . Welding Al air tight seems to be quite a challenge for a novice tig operator ..
sector7g likes this.

2017 FJR1300A
Guelph Ontario
Herb Farr is offline  
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
FjrjrF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: West Central, NJ
Posts: 963
Garage
Boy, I bet you guys can't wait for Mr. Fusion boosters being sold on Amazon! But, thinking about it, that would take all the 'fun' out of it!
sector7g likes this.

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
FjrjrF is offline  
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
rbentnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheboro, NC, USA
Posts: 6,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sector7g View Post
Great question. I ran the bike through a test this weekend and it worked well with 1/4" hose. My tank is on Gerauld's Passenger Aux Rack, which elevates the tank to the near top of the stock tank, but not fully above.
I found I was able to transfer the majority of the fuel within 25 minutes, but I believe I may of hit a point where the stock tank and the aux tank were near a similar level, thereby stopping the transfer. A day or two later, when the stock tank had used more fuel, I was able to complete the transfer.
I'll know more in a few weeks when my seat is returned (sent back to RDL for modification - I should of timed this better....). I'd certainly like to hear from others on hose line diameter, but I believe the 1/4" to sufficiently flow at a good rate.
I'm right over here in Asheboro, NC by the zoo and have spare stock seats. If you'd like to borrow them for a while, or try a Yamaha Comfort seat, you're more than welcome to. I'm free all weekend.
sector7g likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rbentnail is offline  
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I'm right over here in Asheboro, NC by the zoo and have spare stock seats. If you'd like to borrow them for a while, or try a Yamaha Comfort seat, you're more than welcome to. I'm free all weekend.
Oh man, Russ....you're making Christmas coming early! I've been really wanting to try out that comfort seat. I may just have to pm you later about this. Thanks!

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
sector7g is offline  
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Farr View Post
Thanks for the reply Tim

I have a cheap motion pro dry break connector that was supposed to be 5/16 , but internally it seems slightly under 1/4 .....
The bottom of my fuel cell should end up about 1/4 of the way up the tank. It is going to sit between the grab bars. My plan is have it clip on using the rear seat locking points . I just finished cutting the corners of the cell , welding in new material and preasure testing it . Welding Al air tight seems to be quite a challenge for a novice tig operator ..
Wow, Herb, that's great that you can weld! One of the things I've been contemplating is a "cover" for the passenger seat when it's removed. I can install the seat under the aux tank currently, but it's a tight fit - especially with the petcock I ended up running. Just one of the things I wish I could do . Good luck and post pics! ~I've taken some of my install, and will post in the next day or three...

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
sector7g is offline  
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:01 PM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
Herb Farr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Guelph ontario
Posts: 45
I can weld , steel and stainless , still working on becoming competent on aluminum..
sector7g likes this.

2017 FJR1300A
Guelph Ontario
Herb Farr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FJR Dean Tanji aux tank and holeshot exhaust polishadam82 Bikes & Parts For Sale - USA 0 07-23-2018 10:19 PM
Mondomoto Aux switch Hollywoodgt FJR: The Farkling II 2 09-07-2013 09:50 PM
best bet for Aux Lights cptngym FJR: The Farkling II 8 05-04-2007 06:56 PM
Aux light plugs in wiring diagram Massman FJR Technical 5 12-05-2006 03:40 PM
Aux Lighting chaz FJR: The Farkling II 13 07-14-2006 10:43 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome