battery replacement dimensions YT14B-BS not all the same - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

battery replacement dimensions YT14B-BS not all the same

Sorry to start another thread on battery replacement. But tomorrow morning I am making the online purchase of a replacement battery for
2014 FJR1300A.

Today I removed the existing Yuasa YT14B-BS and with a caliper got: 5.94 wide, 2.76 deep 5.79 height in inches.
Tape measure fractional: 5 13/16 wide - 5 11/16 tall - 2 5/8 deep.

I am most concerned about the deep part, many YT14B-BS replacements list their dimension at 3 inches or more.

My observation taking this battery out was there is no as in zero room for change of dimension.
Any of you that have removed this battery might feel the same way. It is incredibly packed in tight. Difficult to remove
the first time, not having a clue how to twist and angle it out (too lazy to remove more parts than I absolutely had to.

There are 2 threads on the forum with battery replacement in the title. One as old as 2008 has a list of acceptable batteries
and that is helpful. The other from 2010. Both suggested that get a Yuasa original and be done with it as it worked best for them.

Although I do not mind that , in all my vehicles (cars, trucks , bikes) I replace batteries on a schedule, 5 years for auto/truck 3 years for all bikes. And typically use aftermarket with warranties to match the life stated above.

Aftermarket has always been good to me, but on this one I am worried. A battery 3 inches or more deep even though listed as a "replacement" for a YT14B-BS would not appear to work.

So here is a question for people who have done this model year battery replacement:
Did you discover that any YT14B-BS replacement was dimensionaly going to fit, and maybe, just maybe the online dimensions
listed are not accurate ?

2014 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Apart from the physical size of the battery, you must also watch out for the battery terminals. A couple of years ago, I did find a battery that was the correct size, but when I fitted it, I found that the terminals used smaller screws, so now the ring terminals on the bike's wiring were wrong, that was a major pain in the ass.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yuasa's dimensions are specified as 6" (150mm) x 2.75 (70) x 5.75 (145). I personally use aftermarket Yuasa, usually priced well with other aftermarkets. You could try ordering the original OEM from Partzilla (GT14B4GS), but I'd want to be sure they are not substituting an aftermarket.....
I have a voltmeter installed, so know in my mind how the battery is holding up historically, and if it's deteriorating, you can perhaps notice abnormal behaviours as it nears end of serviceable life. FJR's like a good battery....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Generic, it’s been my experience that as long as you use the oe part number it should be a direct replacement fit. Personally I prefer to use AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries as replacements because typically they are sealed and I have 4 in use in the antique bikes that I ride that the batteries range in age from 6-10yrs old.

On my 2014 fjr the oe battery is still in it and testing it with a load tester shows it to be still plenty strong, we’ll see about possibly replacing it next year, thinking about a Shorai lithium to take about 5lbs out of the top of the “top heavy” FJR. Should be noticeable.

Now I know that the lithium’s have a not-so-great Rep for performance & reliability but I feel that like led headlights they are constantly improving, so a lot of the issues may no longer exist. Also they tend to pack more power in smaller sizes and usually have to be shimmed to properly fit. My good friend who is a EE by trade has the exact same Shorai battery that the fjr uses in his Triumph Trophy for the last 3yrs says the trick is to turn the bike on and let just sit that way for about 20-30sec before hitting the starter to wake the battery up.

And then there’s our friend Russ who ran his 2007 oe battery out to 9 or 10yrs before it needed replacing w/o using a “maintainer” if I remember correctly. Hard to argue with those results. As an aside I do keep all my bikes and power equipment on maintainers and may help explain my luck with battery life. But all just opinion at this point.

Is/has your battery failed or are you just replacing it as a matter of maintenance ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I would not have a lithium, have had to boost some FJR's because the lithium won't wake up enough at near freezing temps. They need a significant draw to wake up (FJR headlights do not come on with key on) and I cringe when I hear them cranking slow (like that is good for a starter motor). More expensive and might cause other expensive issues. You won't notice the 5 lbs.... stick to AGM in my opinion.

Ray
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
And then there’s our friend Russ who ran his 2007 oe battery out to 9 or 10yrs before it needed replacing w/o using a “maintainer” if I remember correctly. Hard to argue with those results. As an aside I do keep all my bikes and power equipment on maintainers and may help explain my luck with battery life. But all just opinion at this point.

Is/has your battery failed or are you just replacing it as a matter of maintenance ?
That's correct, my OE battery lasted 10 yrs and for the first 8 never had a battery tender hooked to it. I did nothing to maintain that battery, I just parked the bike in an unheated shed at the beginning of winter, never started it until spring unless I had to check the work I had done.

I replaced it with a WestCo battery from my local Honda dealer. $68, so far so good. I'm on the second yr I think. It fit fine even with the additional stuff I added.
FJR16fan and Bob Collings like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:09 PM
FJR Top Gun

I've not had my FJR long enough to require battery replacement but I have always had good luck with oem Yuasa replacements (even though they are expensive). I do keep mine on a tender jr whenever not being ridden all year round.

Things I trust ... oem Yuasa batteries, NGK spark plugs, battery tender jrs, Michelin tires, Seafoam gas treatment.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I’ve always used whatever batteries plus spec’d, using the more expensive option when they offered a cut rate battery. That’s not a battery compartment, it’s a birth canal. You have to stretch the panels apart to get a battery out, and again to get a battery in. At least the terminals are fairly easy to access.

The factory battery in the 2014 lasted less than 2 years. The replacement was running fine when I traded the bike at over 80,000 miles. I ride year round, so my bikes never see a tender.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 12-09-2018 at 12:40 PM.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I know we have been down this road before, but it's snowing outside and I am bored.

Be careful with the new Yuasa's. Traditionally they were all made in Japan and were the cream of the crop. A few years ago, I ordered a Yuasa for my Underwater Scooter, and was shipped an Enersys brand battery, I can't prove it was a Chinese battery, but I suspected it. The dealer I bought it from swore it was the same battery, but I had built a "battery tester" consisting of two large resisters and a timer. {the time a battery will last underwater in our scooters, being so much more important to us than on a bike}. The Enersys battery was down almost a third on "time before the voltage dropped to 10.5 volts, under load}. Just sayin.

I am NOT, by the way, against buying a Chinese battery FOR A MOTORCYCLE. What I am against is paying TOP DOLLAR for a Chinese battery, thinking I am getting a Japanese battery. I recommend, for us poor guys, an Ebay Caltric AGM from China, 42 dollars delivered to my front door.

Second thing. I know that everyone says that the batteries that you buy and then YOU install the electrolyte, are still AGM batteries. I would still always purchase a battery that the electrolyte comes already in the battery and is sealed from the factory. That is just my OPINION and I don't have any facts to back it up.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Last edited by philharmonic; 12-09-2018 at 01:28 PM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

FYI, the OEM batteries (GT) are made in Japan/overseas, the aftermarket Yuasa's (YT) are made in Pennsylvania.
philharmonic and Teehaml like this.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page