battery replacement dimensions YT14B-BS not all the same - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I would not have a lithium, have had to boost some FJR's because the lithium won't wake up enough at near freezing temps. They need a significant draw to wake up (FJR headlights do not come on with key on) and I cringe when I hear them cranking slow (like that is good for a starter motor). More expensive and might cause other expensive issues. You won't notice the 5 lbs.... stick to AGM in my opinion.
Lithium retrofit companies actually advise using the stater to heat the battery to the point the battery can provide the current to spin the starter. I've done it, and it works. But not long after got rid of the fancy LiFePO4 battery.

The instructions said to hold the starter for a second or so then stop. Repeat up to 5 times if the engine doesn't start.

Not worried about the starter windings under such conditions, it is the brushes stationary at one place on the commutator that I would worry about.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Myself and friends have had good luck with WPS batteries. WPS is one of the 2 big motorcycle parts and accessories distributors. No telling who makes the batteries for WPS, but WPS seems to demand and get quality product.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

The sort of odd dimensions and placement of the FJR battery box does limit one's options.

This won't work for everyone, but I've been happy with my use of an EarthX LiFe battery after about 5 years having it in my '13. Weight savings is about 8 lbs. Since I don't have to deal with abnormally cold weather riding, this isn't really a concern of mine. But FWIW this battery works fine starting down into the high 20's F, which as low as I've had occasion to try it. Most recently departing the next morning after the Reuben Run dinner, with the bike covered in frost and the ambient temperature gauge showing 28 degF it started right up and away I went. Yep, pricey, but it's my money.

Let the flaming begin
Bill Lumberg likes this.

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:59 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
YUASA YT14B-BS being sold for US$86.88 at Wamart.com Free shipping. Just a heads up, mine is arriving tomorrow.
Victor Sierra and N4HHE like this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

One other thing Phil, all of the AGM batteries i’ve ever seen were sealed, no vent and no access to add water or acid at the start. You can install them upside down and be ok if needed, I wouldn’t, but you could.

Ferret, on the sea foam, while I do believe it to be a good product I will add that on 2 different bikes I pickeled them for the winter using Stabil and a sea foam mix. In the spring 2 years in a row I found the carbs that I had rebuilt the previous fall full of a green jello like substance that was extremely difficult to remove. I only used it for those 2 years and only ever had the green jello those 2 years and never again since I quit using it. I do use it when I can run it through but never for any storage time. Just sayin.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 12-09-2018 at 08:33 PM.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by generic00 View Post
Today I am most concerned about the deep part, many YT14B-BS replacements list their dimension at 3 inches or more.
YTX14 variants are 3-1/2” deep but the YT14B is 2-3/4. Yamaha’s choice is unfortunate because the YTX is more plentiful and about 30% lower cost.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Rich, no flame here, my friend that has the Shorai in his triumph trophy has had the same experience. As I said earlier I believe that lithium batteries are improving daily and I believe at some point we’ll be looking at the lead acid batteries the same as we do harley’s.
cra-z1 likes this.

Steve P
Ride more,, worry less !
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I would not have a lithium, have had to boost some FJR's because the lithium won't wake up enough at near freezing temps. They need a significant draw to wake up (FJR headlights do not come on with key on) and I cringe when I hear them cranking slow (like that is good for a starter motor). More expensive and might cause other expensive issues. You won't notice the 5 lbs.... stick to AGM in my opinion.
I didn't have any problems with my Shorai down to freezing. Maybe it never actually got that cold being parked outside with the possibility of sunlight.

Turn on heated grips, or the hazard lights to pull some juice and warm it up. I never had to, but for others....

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post

Ferret, on the sea foam, while I do believe it to be a good product I will add that on 2 different bikes I pickeled them for the winter using Stabil and a sea foam mix. In the spring 2 years in a row I found the carbs that I had rebuilt the previous fall full of a green jello like substance that was extremely difficult to remove. I only used it for those 2 years and only ever had the green jello those 2 years and never again since I quit using it. I do use it when I can run it through but never for any storage time. Just sayin.

Interesting. I have never mixed Seafoam and Stabil, but I have been using Seafoam by itself for the past 10 years in motorcycles, ATV's, lawn mowers, weed whackers, leaf blowers and chain saws in my garage/shed and never an issue starting/running even after 9 months of storage without being started (although most sit only about 6 months). I have total faith in Seafoam but will be sure not to mix it with any Stabil on your recommendation.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yes sir, i’m not sure of what caused the green jello stuff but the only thing that was different was the Seafoam, could’ve been a chemical reaction with the Stabil but quite frankly I don’t know.

I haven’t had it happen since I quit using the seafoam (for storage) and now I just pickle them with Stabil and Lucas carb cleaner which is a milder carb cleaner in my opinion, everything just starts easily in the spring and just runs w/o issue.

Some of the older bikes have been stored that way for up to 5yrs and generally just start and run. That’s my .02, hope it helps.

Steve P
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page