LED Lighting - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Talking LED Lighting

Interested in changing headlight, taillight, and rear Turn signals to LED.. Good Idea or even possible? Thanks. !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkba101 View Post
Interested in changing headlight, taillight, and rear Turn signals to LED.. Good Idea or even possible? Thanks. !
Lots of threads about headlights. Just make sure that it has the cups or you'll have two flavors of high beams with no low beams.

If you have a Gen I, there is a unit that replaces the entire tail light unit, including blinkers. And it has the resistors.

Replacing turn signal bulbs will mess with the blinky timer. You need to put an appropriate resistor into the circuit to make the blinkers blink properly. I don't know why someone doesn't sell LED "bulbs" with the resistor built in.

You can replace the running/brake lights without needing a resistor.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I believe evitek makes the headlight bulbs some of the guys at fjrider use. Iíve ridden with them and they are amazing lights. Looks very close to the (according to the definitive source at fjrforum.com) gen IV bikes that come with LED from the factory. The guys have a lot of miles on them with no issues.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have the Evitek G6, which are great with a good beam pattern. Newer is the F2 which is brighter and even better beam pattern. A few "DOT compliant" LED's are just starting to appear, but too early to go there IMHO. F2 is where it's at, there are a few sources.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H7-F2-LED-H...53.m1438.l2649

As far as rear end, you're not going to gain much.. I'd spend yer money on aux. light bar instead, e.g.. Admore large light bar (don't get the all fancy expensive one, it will drive all your buddies behind you nuts).
Bill Lumberg and Pillwheels like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

I'm using Evitek G6 headlights. I also replaced the turn signals and brake lights. For the turn signals, I bought a new flasher from Amazon for about $20. For the brakes, I added a load resistor so the ABS light woudn't flash. I pondered where to put it, but ended up using the accessory leads for my Plug&Play Admore harness and zip the resistor to the frame rails. Using an infrared thermometer, I wasn't able to measure any appreciable heat buildup and it gets good ventilation there.

BTW, I also have an Admore kit in my Givi topcase and a Whelen LIN3 below the license plate with a lighting controller running it. So even when the topcase is off I have pretty good lighting.

Last edited by jblanken64; 12-07-2018 at 12:52 PM.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I want to light my topcase, but I’m skiddish about drilling holes in it. I remove it fairly often and have heard mixed reviews about the connection if you use their quick disconnect. I already have an admore light bar. It is superb.

IBA# 69560
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I want to light my topcase, but Iím skiddish about drilling holes in it. I remove it fairly often and have heard mixed reviews about the connection if you use their quick disconnect. I already have an admore light bar. It is superb.

My Givi Maxia topcase had a kit installed when I bought it. The connector did eventually go bad, but much of its life may have been gone when I got it. I bought a new harness and all is well. The plug and play harness for the FJR is very simple to install. Almost like plug and play. I do like the lighting in the case though.
Bill Lumberg likes this.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I had the plug and play harness on my ‘14, and ordered one for my ‘18. It’s taking a while to arrive.
jblanken64 likes this.

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 12-09-2018 at 09:08 AM.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ray, are the F2 bulbs you referenced plug and play compatible as a direct replacement for the h4ís that are currently in our 2014ís ? The reason I ask is theyíre listed as h7ís. Iíve been slow to the led headlight party because they just havenít been up to what I currently have in the Piaa nightekís but the F2ís look like they might be as good or better. Have you tried these ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Do not get H7, that is a single filament that some bikes use. Get the H4/9003 version which is the correct dual filament style. I am currently running the Evitek G6, have not tried the F2, but an electrical engineer on another forum has been testing various LED's as they come out. F2 has more lumens and is a tad closer to DOT beam pattern. You won't be sorry if you had the G6's either. I'm waiting to hear about his test results for the newer ones that claim to be DOT compliant.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page