Help needed removing last bolt swing arm? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Help needed removing last bolt swing arm?

Hi All,

After setting up a couple of axle stands to hold up my 2001 FJR while taking off the centre stand. I am now having a problem with the very last bolt that holds on the linkage arm. The reason being is that it hits the inside of the collector box near the cat. converter. Now do I have to remove the right hand exhaust and gently pry up the collector box to remove the bolt or is there an easier way???

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:56 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdad54 View Post
Hi All,
After setting up a couple of axle stands to hold up my 2001 FJR while taking off the centre stand. I am now having a problem with the very last bolt that holds on the linkage arm. The reason being is that it hits the inside of the collector box near the cat. converter. Now do I have to remove the right hand exhaust and gently pry up the collector box to remove the bolt or is there an easier way? Thanks for all your help in advance.
drummerdad,

I have not done that job on your bike, but I have a somewhat generic solution, if that can help. If you cut off the bolt head with a cutting wheel, can you extract the bolt, by taking the bolt shank out in the other direction? A new bolt then, installed with the head on the opposite end than you have now, can be a much nicer solution -if that trick is possible. Prying on the exhaust system may require that you replace the exhaust pipe gaskets in the head, to seal them again.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).

Last edited by red; 12-06-2018 at 12:00 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Hi Red,

That's what I thought when having to remove the exhaust and needing some exhaust paste to seal it back on.

I will have a look tomorrow but I didn't realise I could cut the head off and then put a new one on through the other way. These bolts have a fine thread don't they so might have to visit the local hardware store. I did however know that the left exhaust bolt had to be cut and a new one fitted the other way around which I did last year.

I would like to get this whole linkage arm off as last time I left it where it was and just greased the needle roller bearings best I could but this time I'm going to replace them all.

Thanks for help much appreciated.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:20 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdad54 View Post
Hi Red,
That's what I thought when having to remove the exhaust and needing some exhaust paste to seal it back on. I will have a look tomorrow but I didn't realise I could cut the head off and then put a new one on through the other way. These bolts have a fine thread don't they so might have to visit the local hardware store. I did however know that the left exhaust bolt had to be cut and a new one fitted the other way around which I did last year. I would like to get this whole linkage arm off as last time I left it where it was and just greased the needle roller bearings best I could but this time I'm going to replace them all. Thanks for help much appreciated.
drummerdad,

The old bolt head may have markings that a good bolt clerk can read, or just go to the Yamaha dealer and buy OEM. Not sure that I would trust the big-box stores to have high quality hardware, though. In the USA, "Nuts & Bolts" is a separate and valid heading for bolt stores in the business phone directory. In the USA, the real and genuine directory site (all others are wannabees) will be here:

https://www.anywho.com

They will give you a list of the right stores, and if you give them a local postal code, you can SORT the list by distance. Maybe you have some similar directory service on the Internet, there. HTH.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I was able to remove that last bolt (not the swing arm BTW as the title says ) by loosening but not removing the exhaust mount bolt aft and the muffler-to-pipe clamp and flexing the exhaust a bit. I did re-insert it from the other side when done.

Cutting the head off as red says is by far the more popular way to go.
N4HHE likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Hi, I did cut the bolts as mentioned above, bought two new OEM (very cheap), and mounted them the opposite way. This makes maintenance of both the linkage bearings and the centre stand a lot easier.

/rogerf

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it.

I think I will firstly remove the rear exhaust bolt and see if I can gently pry up the collector box and pull the bolt out that way and if that doesn't work I'll simply cut the head off the bolt and get myself an OEM one and put it in the opposite side as suggested.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Hi rogerf,

Have you by any chance got the OEM part number for the bolt mentioned?

Cheers
drummerdad54
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Hi, in my 16' parts catalogue the rear bolt is listed as 90101-10004.

/rogerf
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Well would you believe it?

It actually came out really easily considering I did take off the right exhaust and loosened the left one and just lifting it slightly it came out.

So, now the work begins.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page