Brake Lights - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Brake Lights

Hi Newbie on the forum and just purchased a 2018 FJR. Love the bike but only one problem with the brake light note being sensitive enough. I usually engine brake and then pull in the brake lever at the end of my stop. I'm realizing that I have to pull in the front brake lever all the way in order for the brake light to come on. If I feather the brake, it will not turn on. It's a safety concern for me since I don't need a handful of braking but I won't the driver behind me to know that I'm stopping. Any solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

wow...my auto correct is bad.

note= not
won't = want
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 11:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

sounds like a faulty switch - may just be sticking use some wd40 / gt85 on it and see how this goes if no better replace the switch.

Just a thought you do have standard leavers dont you and not some Chinese cheapos?

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

@Polar

Standard lever. The brake light "knob" that releases as you pull the front brake lever has to "click" twice before it engages the brake lights. I want to adjust it so that it engages on the first "click" (thus reducing the pulling distance on the front brake lever).

If there isn't an adjustment that can be made on the switch itself, then I'm thinking of grinding down the "knob" or the contact point on the lever.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagae View Post
@Polar

Standard lever. The brake light "knob" that releases as you pull the front brake lever has to "click" twice before it engages the brake lights. I want to adjust it so that it engages on the first "click" (thus reducing the pulling distance on the front brake lever).

If there isn't an adjustment that can be made on the switch itself, then I'm thinking of grinding down the "knob" or the contact point on the lever.
Sounds like a dodgy switch just replace it

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to forum.

Quote:
I'm realizing that I have to pull in the front brake lever all the way in order for the brake light to come on.
You shouldn't need to pull the lever all the way in to turn on the brake lights.

The cruise control should deactivate at little more than a touch of the brake lever. Why am I mentioning the cruise control? It uses different contacts of the same switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
Sounds like a dodgy switch just replace it
That little, dinky DPDT microswitch is about $100 from MamaYama.

If the brake light does not come on immediately when you move the brake lever more than, say, a quarter of an inch, I'd recommend taking it back to the dealer for a warranty check.
RaYzerman and metalman like this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnC; 10-29-2018 at 08:14 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Hi Newbie on the forum and just purchased a 2018 FJR. Love the bike but only one problem with the brake light note being sensitive enough. I usually engine brake and then pull in the brake lever at the end of my stop. I'm realizing that I have to pull in the front brake lever all the way in order for the brake light to come on. If I feather the brake, it will not turn on. It's a safety concern for me since I don't need a handful of braking but I won't the driver behind me to know that I'm stopping. Any solutions?
Be careful getting it too sensitive or you won't be able to make the cruise control stay on

Quote:
wow...my auto correct is bad.

note= not
won't = want
Just an FYI, but you can edit your own posts. I'll have to finish posting this to say how, though.

Edit:
OK. There's an "Edit" button at the bottom right.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ditto-ing previous advice.... The switch(es) can be (should be) sensitive enough to disengage cruise or put brake lights on with slight movement of the lever. At the same time, not too sensitive. There is no adjustment so to speak but you can tweak a bit by loosening the mounting screw. Shouldn't need cleaning at this point, but never know. If you can't fix it easily, get a new switch under warranty.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

That front switch is actually two separate switches, activated in sequence by a single operator arm. That first click is the switch that cancels the CC setting (though it remains armed) and happens with minuscule lever movement. If you were to file the actuating mechanism even a little bit you could wind up with that first switch open all the time, hence the CC would never set. The second click you hear is the one that activates the brake lights and intentionally is set so it comes on with further movement of the brake handle. If the system detects a problem with this sequence (or any of several others) it will disable the CC at least until you cycle system power.

FWIW, my front brake light switch activates about the point that a bit of braking action is being applied.

The rear brake pedal has a similar switch pair but unlike the front lever the linkage between the switch module and the pedal has some adjustment and could perhaps be tweaked to behave as you'd like.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 04:04 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Sorry for the old thread revive, but I noticed exactly this issue on my pre-ride check this past weekend. Also a 2018 (new to me).

Anyone know how/if this was resolved?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page