Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/)
-   FJR Technical (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/)
-   -   2002 FJR1300 Clunk at idle (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/144681-2002-fjr1300-clunk-idle.html)

ichsnoo 09-04-2018 06:13 AM

2002 FJR1300 Clunk at idle

Hi All,
Please help, 2002 with 52k emits knock noise at idle. More pronounced as it warms up. Bike runs great from 2000 rpms and above. No issues at higher speed. Has anyone heard a similar noise please?

Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iu18bh3J6iyRfZwQ9

Have tested TPS - fine
Have inspected plugs - fine

Does not sound like CCT, have listened to various videos.

Help......

Cheers,
Dave

philharmonic 09-04-2018 06:48 AM

Ouch, not a good sound. Is it my imagination, or did the idle drop when I heard the sound two or three quick times in a row? Hopefully, someone will come along soon with good ideas. I would not ride it until this is sorted out,but I guess you figured that out. Good luck

HFJeff 09-04-2018 08:32 AM

I agree. Sounds like a chipped gear piece floating around in the transmission, or something like that. The fact that it pulls the RPM's down a bit leads me to believe it is binding with the mechanical rotation of the motor or gearbox. Does it happen with the clutch pulled in? Unfortunately I think you are going to have to take stuff apart to figure out what this is. Good luck.

Polar 09-04-2018 04:11 PM

Sound like its trying to drop into gear? Does it ride fine?

ichsnoo 09-04-2018 06:46 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies so far. CCT is being ordered today, plus new plugs. Will also get some rubber caps to remove the PAIR system. The bike runs great (other than the sound in Video) and I had it out without issue for 160km test run last Saturday. Once again above 2000rpms the problem does not exist.

Pulling the clutch in does not help the noise. The noise is far more subtle at initial start, gets louder as it warms up and hits lower idle speed. If you hold the revs at 2000 then it will not make the sound. CCT for me. (Fingers crossed this is all)

There is a gent in Melbourne Australia that listened to my video and says he had the exact same symptoms. CCT resolved it. Will go with this for next troubleshooting step.

Cheers,
Dave

RaYzerman 09-04-2018 08:09 PM

The noise may be the cam chain catching on the tensionerbars occasionally. If that does not have the latest CCT, then change it ASAP. If you like, remove the right engine cover and see if you have slack in the cam chain, if so, a sure indication of CCT not having tension. I'd recommend you don't even run the engine, risk of skipping teeth and doing expensive damage.

ichsnoo 09-04-2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaYzerman (Post 1183651)
The noise may be the cam chain catching on the tensionerbars occasionally. If that does not have the latest CCT, then change it ASAP. If you like, remove the right engine cover and see if you have slack in the cam chain, if so, a sure indication of CCT not having tension. I'd recommend you don't even run the engine, risk of skipping teeth and doing expensive damage.

Thanks Rayzerman,

Definitely not starting the bike until the CCT has been changed. Parts should arrive within 2 days. Fun mechanical Saturday ahead. Cant wait to hear a smoother running engine.

Cheers,
Dave

philharmonic 09-05-2018 09:16 AM

Don't you dare disappear without letting us know how this all comes out. LOL

Alan smithy 09-05-2018 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my experience with strange noises, it is the water, oil pump drive chain, just hope it's not that.

cra-z1 09-05-2018 01:17 PM

Interesting, cam chain sound logical. Let us know when you change the adjuster.