2002 FJR1300 Clunk at idle - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan smithy View Post
Not new, there is a fjr in a springwood motorbike wrecker may have a good used coil for you
Thanks Alan,

Do you have the details of the wreckers in Springwood?

Cheers,
Dave

2002 FJR1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Farkle Trainee

Got a number to call us on
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Got a number here for you, Allbikes 0738085050, they have a 1_4 ignition coil for fjr

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan smithy View Post
Got a number here for you, Allbikes 0738085050, they have a 1_4 ignition coil for fjr
Thanks Alan for the wrecker details. I have some new (used) coils already, but may need more bits in the future.

Yamaha has the bike. The new coils helped, but it is still fouling plugs 1 & 4. The mechanic swapped the injectors around and still fouling 1 & 4.

They will have the throttle bodies off Monday to test the choke plungers as this could be what is causing the bad idling. It make sense as the bike only clunks when it goes from cold idle to warm idle. Hopefully can be maintained rather than replaced but you never know.

Very happy that the engine has perfect compression across the cylinders. Good donk, just needs love and some analysis AND MONEY.....

Cheers,
Dave

2002 FJR1300
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Just spoke to the mechanics. Looks like I was heading in the right direction with my thoughts on Throttle Bodies being the issue. Apparently a couple of the return springs on the bodies were not original and 2 of the butterflies were not returning to complete close when you took you hand off the throttle. They have replaced the springs in question with a heavier gauge spring and believe the issue is resolved. Only 4.5 hour spent on the bike so far which seems fair, as they have been across many contributing items.

Makes me wonder though why a couple of the springs were OEM and a couple were not.

Sounds like I may have the bike back tomorrow. HOORAY.

Cheers,
Dave
rfjr and RaYzerman like this.

2002 FJR1300
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 05:16 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Interesting.... don't know that this was done on Gen1's so much as 2006-7, some did a throttle spring unwind (one turn on the middle spring only), to lighten the throttle effort.

I am curious why that would cause your noise, perhaps they could explain, I'm curious but I hope it solves your problem.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 05:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ray, I would theorize from what Dave said in one of his posts that it seems that some of the throttle bodies because of the light spring(s) did not fully return causing a significant imbalance between the cylinders and the knock,,, at least I think that’s what it was.

Guess i’m A bit surprised because I thought that all the throttle bodies were mechanically connected.

Dave, I sure hope it runs well once you get it back after all your grief.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 09-24-2018 at 05:43 PM.
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Interesting.... don't know that this was done on Gen1's so much as 2006-7, some did a throttle spring unwind (one turn on the middle spring only), to lighten the throttle effort.

I am curious why that would cause your noise, perhaps they could explain, I'm curious but I hope it solves your problem.
Hi Rayzerman,

Interestingly enough when I dropped it there the shop manager was freaking out that it was going to jump a tooth as he thought the timing chain was slapping around. I kindly explained that it had a brand new CCT and that there was no noticeable chain slack when I originally inspected it. The mechanic came out next and he said straight away that it is just not sparking or fueling correctly. He was not worried about the CLUNK noise at lower idle, so I guess he has heard this condition before.

You could be right about the springs being trimmed, as the mechanic said that 2 of the springs had original Yamaha white marks on them and 2 of them did not.

I wonder though how much they tested the original coils before deciding that the 1&4 coil pack needed a swap? I don't think they tested so much rather than simply decided that if plugs 1 & 4 are looking fouled, then it must be the coil, as replacing the coil did not solve the issue. The next thing they tried was swapping injectors into different positions. This also did not help, but proved it was not the injectors.

They then went looking at the throttle bodies as a contributor and seem to have nailed it. Perhaps there approach should have included actual testing of the coils, plus a look at the throttle bodies prior to advising it needed a new coil.

Good thing I found a set of coils for $45 AUS rather than have them order a single coil pack for quoted $260 and a 2 week wait from overseas.

Cheers,
Dave

2002 FJR1300
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Ray, I would theorize from what Dave said in one of his posts that it seems that some of the throttle bodies because of the light spring(s) did not fully return causing a significant imbalance between the cylinders and the knock,,, at least I think thatís what it was.
Hi PassX,

This is exactly what was relayed to me. The butterflies are not returning on two of the throttle bodies completely due to the insufficient spring return action. They had no hope in **** balancing the throttle bodies without first fixing this issue. The bodies are mechanically connected, but there are adjustments to get them all synchronised and acting in line as one unit. Man they must have been way out though to create that rough an idle and that much noise. The noise in the video still makes me think the unit was going to die.

Cheers,
Dave

2002 FJR1300
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hi Dave, are the two butterflies that are out of sync nmb 1&4 by any chance, that will explain the rich mixture on 1&4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page