2002 FJR1300 Clunk at idle - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hi Dave, have you tested for big end knock yet, it's just 1 more elimination off the list, another way to check big end knock is use the stethoscope at the lower front of the motor, both sides, good luck .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hi Gents,

I am sending the bike to a Yamaha mechanic this Thursday. I am starting to think it might be TPS on throttle body, as per this info:

2006-09-28 (Published by NHTSA on 2006-09-2
Recall Summary: ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, AN IMPROPERLY DESIGNED THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR COULD CAUSE AN INTERMITTENTLY UNSTABLE IDLE WHEN THE ENGINE IS AT IDLING SPEED WHEN THE MOTORCYCLE IS STOPPED OR DURING LOW-SPEED OPERATIONS. THE ENGINE COULD STALL AS A RESULT.
Hazard: IF THE ENGINE STALLS AFTER THE OPERATOR DISENGAGES THE CLUTCH IN A LOW GEAR WHILE RIDING, THE REAR TIRE MIGHT SLIP MOMENTARILY IF THE OPERATOR ABRUPTLY RE-ENGAGES THE CLUTCH. THIS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH WITH INJURY OR DEATH.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 16, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-888-88-YAMAHA.
Additional Info: CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
NHTSA Source: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...l_ID=06V371000

Not knowing the service history of the motorcycle I reckon the Throttle Bodies also need a synch. I am hoping that these items combined are what is causing my problems. On Thursday at least I hope to finally have an answer and direct my efforts (AND MONEY) in the best direction. I will post once I have an outcome. Thanks again all for your contributions.

Cheers,
Dave
BlueRider likes this.
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Man, that IS a strange noise. Sounds metallic, then it almost sounds like it's a backfire in, or around the catalytic converter. I hope you figure it out, because I still ride a gen 1 myself. Not that I ever want to hear that noise on my bike. Good fortune.

'04 FJR1300
ZRX
KLR
KZ
Z1-R
LTD

post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ichsnoo, I think you’ve hit The nail on the head, very similar sound to a bike with freshly rebuilt carbs that are way out of sync, it really makes the clutch rattle. Here’s hoping you’ve found your problem.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Ichsnoo, I think you’ve hit The nail on the head, very similar sound to a bike with freshly rebuilt carbs that are way out of sync, it really makes the clutch rattle. Here’s hoping you’ve found your problem.
God I hope so Steve. It would be nice to have a simple non-expensive outcome. Fingers crossed I post here with great news in the next day or two.

Thanks,
Dave
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

The good news:
- passed compression test - all cylinders equal, no need for valve clearance checks.
The Bad news:
- ignition coil for cylinders 1&4 is **** and fouling the new plugs. None of these in Australia.
- battery is giving up - no big issue just money
- starter motor is labouring a bit

Fortunately I have found a pair of used coils for $45 in NSW. Hopefully can get these to the mechanic quickly then get him to do the Throttle Body Synch and get the bike back.

I just hate the waiting........

Cheers,
Dave
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Hi Dave, glad of the good news, where in oz are you I'm a airlie beach local, living in brissy for a while, can't wait to get back up north.
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hey Guys! Gyess you didn't get the memo:

Please consider making or modifying your forum signature to include the bike year and model you own. That way there's never any confusion since different model yrs have different stuff and are disassembled different ways.

To create or edit your sig, hover over the word 'TOOLS' in the black bar near the top of the page. A drop-down menu appears, click on 'USER CP'. Then on the left you will see "EDIT SIGNATURE". Click it, do it and save it.

Adding your location so it shows up under your user name can be helpful, too! This is also done under TOOLS/USER CP. Then click on 'Edit Your Details' on the left.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan smithy View Post
Hi Dave, glad of the good news, where in oz are you I'm a airlie beach local, living in brissy for a while, can't wait to get back up north.
Hi Alan,

Kariong near Gosford, NSW. Better than living in Sydney mate. Would love to be more north if I had the option.

Cheers,
Dave

2002 FJR1300
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Not new, there is a fjr in a springwood motorbike wrecker may have a good used coil for you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page