2002 FJR1300 Clunk at idle - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 03:39 AM
Farkle Trainee

Well it never sounded like a cam chain to me but recordings are difficult to interpret. I still go with what i said.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 06:11 AM
Farkle Trainee

I would like you to use the screw driver, stethoscope, on the clutch slave cylinder, on the Left hand side, work the clutch at the same time listen for any changes in the sounds, word of warning, the oil, water pump, run behind the clutch.
BlueRider likes this.
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Not sure if it's clutch related, but it's easy enough to remove the clutch cover and check if the clutch plate "keys" have worn grooves in the clutch basket, for example. You can completely remove the clutch plates and have it all back together in about an hour or so.... which might not be a bad idea to inspect all the plates individually. Looking at it would confirm or deny it as a cause of the noise.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Farkle Trainee

There is one other possibility no one thought of and to check is very easy, check for big end knock, start the motor rev it up and let it desellerate, when reviewing up the sound should abate, when desellerate good it will come back
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 07:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

Nobody has yet mentioned the backlash adjustment on the two balance gears to the crankshaft. I know I keep harping on about my old Hayabusa, but, similar four cylinder engine, similar build, similar capacity, and mine starting making odd clattering noises at a low mileage caused by loose mesh in the balance gears. You need the manual to show you how to do this really, you can do it with the engine running, too tight they will whine, too loose and they will make a horrible odd- sounding clattering noise.
The Hayabusa has one balance shaft, the FJR has two - look at the parts diagram.
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 11:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

The counter balance chain tensioner looks like this. Loosen the locking bolt and turn with bladed screw driver, don't over tension the chain it needs just a little bit of free play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180731_131501_1537069509163.jpg (128.2 KB, 39 views)
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

As I posted - the balance shafts are not chain driven, they are driven at 2 x crankshaft speed by a gear on the crankshaft, it's not chain tension, it's gear mesh.
They are inside the crankcase on the left-hand side of the motor, so the adjusters are also on the LHS.

Edit - I just looked at a better, clearer parts diagram, the front shaft adjuster is on the left and the the rear adjuster is on the right - apologies, I don't like dishing out wrong info!

From the Haynes manual, the adjustment is as follows:-

Static adjustment with cold motor.
Slacken the adjuster pinch bolt. Turn the adjuster shaft slightly clockwise using a flat bladed screwdriver until a torque of 0.4 Nm is reached (meaning resistance is reached because the gears are now meshed tight together) then turn the shaft one graduation anticlockwise marked on the holder when adjusting the front balancer shaft and two graduations when doing the rear.

Then carry out the dynamic adjustment.
Must be carried out with the motor hot.
Let the motor idle.
Slacken each balancer pinch bolt in turn and turn the shaft slightly one way and the other to find the point where the gears run at their quietest, too tight and they will whine, too loose and they will clatter.
(Resist the temptation to have them meshed too tight to get rid of any slight gear clatter - my remark).
Tighten the pinch bolt after each adjustment.
Rev the motor to check noise above idle.

Last edited by barnstormer; 09-17-2018 at 03:12 PM.
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for the additional info gents. I will familiarise myself with the method and check this out.

Regards,
Dave
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:42 AM
Farkle Trainee

I'm not saying that the balance shaft mesh is definitely the cause of the noise, it's just that it's a possible cause to eliminate.
RaYzerman likes this.
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Agree, cause unknown... perhaps one of these cheap stethescopes might help.
https://www.harborfreight.com/mechan...ope-63691.html

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page