2002 FJR1300 Clunk at idle - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:40 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
The sound comes from the injectors..It isn't a mechanical sound.If you watching the needle in the gauge you will notice the fluctuation when you hear that noise.Perhaps a bad fuel or a clogged injector or something around there...Also a defective TPS can cause this symptom at idle.On the test this thing seems that it works fine but it doesn't works right..This sound has nothing to do with the CCT.

2003/ABS FJR
XTZ 750 Super Tenere

Last edited by Mihalis fjr; 09-05-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks to everyone for your contributions. As mentioned I will start with CCT and plugs, plus pair removal while I am at it.

I hope to have a much better sounding video to post as a result.

Fingers crossed.

Great forum, great info.

Cheers,
Dave
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
The noise may be the cam chain catching on the tensionerbars occasionally. If that does not have the latest CCT, then change it ASAP. If you like, remove the right engine cover and see if you have slack in the cam chain, if so, a sure indication of CCT not having tension. I'd recommend you don't even run the engine, risk of skipping teeth and doing expensive damage.
Hi Rayzerman,

Got the side cover off. No slack in chain. Would you expect slack in every faulty CCT problem?

Will change the CCT anyway once parts arrive. The existing has no dots on top, blue nor green.

The engine turns fine with a socket wrench on the crank. No bad noises.

Thanks,
Dave

post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:33 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It may be that there is no slack noticable, a good sign. Agree change the CCT anyway since it has no dots (old original design). Be sure to ty-wrap the chain at the crankshaft end to prevent the chain from drooping down off the crank sprocket while you have no tension on the CCT when you release it. Also agree that the strange noise may be coming from elsewhere, but let's eliminate the CCT first.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
It may be that there is no slack noticable, a good sign. Agree change the CCT anyway since it has no dots (old original design). Be sure to ty-wrap the chain at the crankshaft end to prevent the chain from drooping down off the crank sprocket while you have no tension on the CCT when you release it. Also agree that the strange noise may be coming from elsewhere, but let's eliminate the CCT first.
Thanks Mate,

I feel better already knowing that the chain gear and timing seem to be in order. The manual says: \

Make sure that the timing chain tensioner
rod comes out of the timing chain tensioner
housing smoothly. If there is rough move-
ment, replace the timing chain tensioner.

So I may have a problem yet with the CCT that I just cant detect when it is under load. I guess I will see when I get it out.

In the back of my mind I am wondering if the clutch might need inspection. I saw a video of a guy yesterday taking the plates out and bathing them in oil then re-installing cause they were dry. What is this meant to improve in your opinion?

Regards,
Dave
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The original CCT has a weak spring that got weaker with age. It may be smooth......

The clutch soak is meant to a) you'll clean the plates while you're in there, b) coat them with oil so the clutch releases smoothly, less drag when cold. The clutch does not get much oil normally. Do it once, should be good. It's optional, and usually only done if you're having clutch drag and associated shifting issues.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Before you take anything more off the bike I have a idea to help find the place the noise is coming from, do you have a long shanked screw driver in your kit, start the engine ,put the handle against your ear and the working end on different places on the engine until you find where the noise is loudest, then you can diagnose the problem better
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan smithy View Post
Before you take anything more off the bike I have a idea to help find the place the noise is coming from, do you have a long shanked screw driver in your kit, start the engine ,put the handle against your ear and the working end on different places on the engine until you find where the noise is loudest, then you can diagnose the problem better
Thanks Alan,
Waiting on the CCT at present, but once replaced I will use this method. Let's hope I don't have to though.

Cheers,
Dave
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hi Everyone,

So an update. Pair system removed and capped, new plugs with gaps checked, New CCT installed. NOISE IS STILL THERE as per original video.

When placing a screwdriver on the right hand side of engine and to my ear in various places, it sounds like clutch noise to me as the noise is loudest on the clutch housing cover. Any ideas what I am looking for that would make this kind of noise?

Cheers,
Dave
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Also, it makes the noise at low revs on centre stand in 1st gear with clutch out. If it is clutch related then my understanding is that clutch plates would not make a noise in this condition. Perhaps then a clutch bearing????

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by ichsnoo; 09-15-2018 at 01:59 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page