Helibar install, bars can still move - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Helibar install, bars can still move

Greetings,
this can't be a new issue, but I didn't drag up older posts.

Just installed Helibar riser plate to my '18 FJR1300ES. After torquing, the bars had a slight tendency to move out of position when normal force was applied (forward and backward).

To me, normal force on the bars is applied when pushing forward to get off the center-stand, or pulling backward to reverse the bike.

Yes, my right bar moved backward when backing the bike into the garage over the 1/2" concrete lip where the garage door closes. They are supposed to have "play" so customers can find a good angle, then torque. I can't accept that movement after torquing is normal is it? What if someone had them in the rear-most angle and had to suddenly apply hard braking? or push hard into a curve?

So, thinking my torque wrench was somehow off, I bought another one and completed a proper re-torque. Still the same issue.
While I like the idea of being able to adjust the front-to-back angle of the handle bars, I don't want them to move when I decide on a position.

I hesitate to tighten the bars further, since the instructions rather obnoxiously, in bold print, read "do not over tighten... ...damage to integrity", etc. etc..

I'll be contacting the manufacturer to ask them what to do. Otherwise the install, angle, position, and aesthetics are all good. Maybe I'm asking too much of bar risers and should find a balance.
What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The bars should not move. Mine have been rock solid for 10+ yrs. I'd remove the bridge and return it to the dealer for warranty work, sounds like something wasn't assembled properly.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:19 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Justin, also have the Helibar bridge that I installed on my '14. Followed all the torquing specs when assembling. My bars have never moved since I set them, even a 0mph drop and butt up against the seat with handlebar lift didn't move them. So, something is wrong with yours I suspect.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:44 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Specified torque values were not sufficient to keep my bars in place. They wouldn’t
move during normal riding, but would during an emergency maneuver. I had to tighten past spec torque.
funflyingguy likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 08-23-2018 at 12:04 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:24 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Helibar install, bars can still move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Specified torque values were not sufficient to keep my bars in place. They wouldn’t move during normal riding, but would during an emergency maneuver. I had to tighten past spec torque.
If that problem was mine, I would want to upgrade the bolts to higher standards, which will take the extra torque. All bolts are not created equal. If you want the good stuff, then
Nuts & Bolts
is a dedicated heading in the Yellow Pages, separate from Hardware or Home Improvements. In the USA, this link is the for-real Internet Yellow Pages. Give them a local ZIP code for your location, and you can SORT the results by Distance:

https://www.anywho.com/yellow-pages

Take the supplied bolts in with you to the bolt store, because the head markings on a bolt can say a lot.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Good info. IIRC, between 5 and 10 pounds over spec locked my heli/bars in.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Thanks for the replies! I wasn't able to reach the manufacturer today, so I decided to up the torque another 5 lbs. That seemed to do the trick. I pushed and pulled with relative force and experienced no movement.

They have a very smooth glossy powder-coat finish, which could make for a slicker surface to grip, and secondly, I believe there might have been some powder-coat debris in the threads (to a small degree), possibly leading to some extra drag on the bolts. Of course, I'm speculating, but it seems logical.

at least they are solid now. all is well.
passx likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 01:23 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I installed the Helibars on my 2016 and my bars don't move once torqued to the instructions value. you may want to remove the bars and see if there is anything on the bar surfaces.
funflyingguy likes this.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 08:52 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Just spent a couple of frustrating evenings trying to get the Helibar Kit for my 2018 ES installed. It was all pretty straightforward until I tried to 'place the right hand bar into the alighnment pin holes and insert the supplied mounting bolts. The throttle cables, which I had detached from the handlebar and repositioned as per the instructions, were so tight I couldn't move the forks left or right. Something was VERY wrong, so I disassembled the throttle housing again and spent an hour or so experimenting with different routing for the 2 cables.
I have now assembled and disassembled the throttle cables 3 times in an effort to find a solution to the problem of not enough slack to allow full movement of the front forks. I can just get them to the left and right limit but the cables are so tight you can't move them with your fingers...they are stretched TIGHT.
Before I take this seemingly useless ( and dangerous ) accessory off the bike and throw it in the garbage where it belongs...anyone have a suggestion/solution. Besides buying longer throttle cables and installing them...
I'm kinda pissed because I had to use bolt cutters to cut thru the metal wiring loom restrainers on either side of the triple tree, then break them off their mounting points well under the top triple. Now it looks like I have to try and bundle everything up with multiple tie wraps to make it look at least partially tidy.
I had a bad feeling about this install from the get go...it sat on my bench for 2 weeks while I debated whether or not to go ahead.
Hoping someone has some kind of 'Oh My God, how did I miss that' answer!
Jim
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2016 FJR 1300A, GPS, bar risers, top case, touring windshield.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 09:29 PM
Training wheels fitted!

This is how I routed them on my 2017ES.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR Helibar throttle cable routing.jpg (59.8 KB, 21 views)

2017 FJR1300ES - Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page