2013 Cruise Control idiot light - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
2013 Cruise Control idiot light

On a very hot day above 90 I got caught in DC then Baltimore beltway rush hours. Engine temp was up and down between 170 and 220. When I got home in southern PA my cruise control idiot light was flashing. I hadnít used the cruise control during ride home from NC. I called dealer to get it checked couldnít seee bike til end of week. Well it has not flashed or been on again. Wondering if my electrics just over heated in stop and go over 65 miles. Has this happened to anyone else. My 2013 has over 30,000 miles so itís a low miles bike. Still under warranty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D59F49C5-DEA4-472D-B390-88F94A2E7DB4.jpg (215.8 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 10:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It flashed for a reason... any codes stored?
You could have had a dirty clutch or brake switch (the brake lever has 2 switches). Not really adjustable but if you look you can cheat it by loosening the screw, push it, then retighten the screw.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The cruise control circuit goes through the 1 amp (no power, just a control voltage) Cruise Control Fuse and 4 switches besides the CC switches on the left hand grip: both brake switches, the clutch switch, and the Grip Cancel Switch (located on the throttle body assembly). The appropriate circuits need to have continuity before the CC will work.

You can eliminate the two handlebar switches by pushing the levers forward. If the CC still doesn't work, it is the fuse (unlikely) or the rear brake switch (most likely) or the Grip Cancel Switch.

On my bike, I occasionally have problems with the front brake switch.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The cruise light was flashing on my 2016 one day on my ride home from Phoenix. At the time I attributed that to the way I turned it on (not pushing the button all the way or hitting the set button to quickly) Anyway the cruise would not work until I stopped and shut the ignition off. Upon starting back up and taking off for the rest of the trip home it worked as normal. Its never happened again after that one time so I haven't worried about it much. Mark

2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A, 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
The cruise light was flashing on my 2016 one day on my ride home from Phoenix. At the time I attributed that to the way I turned it on (not pushing the button all the way or hitting the set button to quickly) Anyway the cruise would not work until I stopped and shut the ignition off. Upon starting back up and taking off for the rest of the trip home it worked as normal. Its never happened again after that one time so I haven't worried about it much. Mark

Exact same thing happened on my 13 riding back to Phoenix from Globe. Pulled over, shut down and restart and no flashing light!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"What if the HOKEY POKEY "IS" what it's all about?"
"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:16 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Rereading your original post:

Two things occur to me upon further thought:
1. It is probably not a problem with the switches. The ECU will not treat a break in the control line as a problem. The CC will just refuse to engage. That is what happens to me.

I do not know how a problem with the CC ON-OFF or SET-RESUME will manifest itself.

2. I have spent extended time - days - riding at over 90F, sometimes over 100F, and once at 115 - 120F. So I don't think high temps in themselves are causing the problem. Now, the high temps could be causing problems with the wiring which is a somewhat different problem.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:06 PM
Training wheels fitted!

My 2013 FJR W/ 4500 MI cruise control light flashes some times and when I shut the bike down it resets and will work. If I turn it on when I just take off and set the speed it will work but if I turn it on when up to speed it flashes. Still trying to figure it out. I bought the bike used about a month ago. The dealer was trying to sell my extended warranty maybe I should have ..........naaaa
Doug
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The brake and clutch switches must be "ON" for cruise to work. Sometimes they stick, so spray some contact cleaner to ensure the plunger is free to work, maybe some silicone spray as lube. You can check operation of the switches in DiAG.

This will cause flashing cruise light.... Both ABS sensors send speed signals to the ECU.. if there is any corrosion (from the aluminum housing) that bridges to the steel sensor, it needs cleaning. Then coat both surfaces with silicone or dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion and to ensure the sensors don't get "stuck" in the opening. In DiAG if there are codes related to wheel sensors, it may mean there was some interruption of signal at some point.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Wow, it's been years since I've been on this forum. I'm glad to see this forum is still alive and well.

My 2013 has been doing this since the spring. Sometimes it doesn't work, and turning the key off/on will often fix the problem. I just went outside after reading this thread and the cruise control light was not flashing. Then without turning the key I pulled both the clutch lever and brake lever (should've pulled just one...), and then when I tried the engage cruise the light was flashing. Pushing the levers out did not solve the problem. After cycling the key on/off a few times the cruise control light would stay on again. I'm going to try cleaning and lubing the lever contacts as described.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:11 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad 1957 View Post
On a very hot day above 90 I got caught in DC then Baltimore beltway rush hours. Engine temp was up and down between 170 and 220. When I got home in southern PA my cruise control idiot light was flashing. I hadnít used the cruise control during ride home from NC. I called dealer to get it checked couldnít seee bike til end of week. Well it has not flashed or been on again. Wondering if my electrics just over heated in stop and go over 65 miles. Has this happened to anyone else. My 2013 has over 30,000 miles so itís a low miles bike. Still under warranty
I had the exact same experience on my 2013 FJR. Very frustrating indeed. I had the front brake lever brake light switch replaced and haven't had a problem since (25,000 miles).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in