Rolling front end twitch - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Rolling front end twitch

Hi Guys
You are possibly reading this because of the title.
I sat and thought about it and that's what it is, for a while now I noticed a very slight twitch at very low speeds for example rolling down a ramp just under the brakes only you can feel just a very slight twitch through the bars, I thought I had a buckled wheel but when I had new tyres I had the wheel tested to see if it was true and yes it is, its not the tire as it was replaced, head bearings were checked and they are like butter.

Go on tell me what it is then......... Oh and I replaced wheel bearings, forgot that one.

I bow to your infinite collective wisdom known as the FJR Borg.

Thank you in advance.

Yamaha FJR1300A 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Steering head bearings maybe?
N4HHE likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 05:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

With brakes on lightly??? Possibilities are pads sticking, warped rotors or seemingly warped rotors from the floating rivets not free to float due to road grime.
passx likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:19 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Rolling front end twitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
With brakes on lightly??? Possibilities are pads sticking, warped rotors or seemingly warped rotors from the floating rivets not free to float due to road grime.
Cozza,

I think RaYzerman got it. Clean your disks with a dedicated brake cleaner, keeping the spray far away from the calipers. Wipe each part of the disk dry, before moving to the next section.

Use the right size of common screwdriver to insert (gently) into the hole of each rivet of the disk, and rotate each rivet left and right. If possible, rotate each rivet in the rotor enough to get it turning and free of grit. You would want to replace the disk, if you can not make the disk run true due to bad rivets or warping.

Hope that helps.
passx likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't know what a "twitch" is but I suspect two things.

No matter "steering stem bearings like butter" (whatever that means) a fore/aft free play develops with wear that can not be adjusted out. Applying brakes at low speed going down a ramp might cause it to click from one side to the other.

Second, fork bushings wear and allow fore/aft movement.

In both cases it can be very difficult to diagnose, even with front wheel in the air.

I too have some sort of click in front at very low speed with front brake. It doesn't happen twice. Perhaps the brake pads are moving sideways a tad after braking in reverse?

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
You say the steering head bearing are fine which they probably are. I assume you test this while the bike is not braking down hill. Just be aware of when the bike is still or just resting on the wheels, the front of the lower bearing and the back of the upper bearing will take the load (lower will take most). While braking it will be the opposite, back of the lower and front of the upper. A small damage/wear at the back of the lower or at the front of the upper will probably not be uncovered during just sitting on the bike and turning the bars from side to side.
I am not saying this is causing your problem, it might be the brakes or other things as mentioned by others, but maybe something to be aware of if no issues is found with other things.

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)

Last edited by rogerf; 04-18-2018 at 03:01 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

At about 20 mph and decelerating with light braking you may be feeling the brake pads running over the holes in the rotors, no sound just a very fast tick-tick-tick-tick through the handlebars. I feel it every time I come to a stop.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies.

Definitions Like Butter = smooth Twitch = Small unprovoked movement or Tic.

When I last took the bike in to the workshop we had the front wheel up to check for any free play in the head bearings and there was none detected, I fitted new fork seals and bushes last year so there should be no play here.

Perhaps I can run a dial gauge on the disk to see if there is any run-out here but I would have thought it would have be felt at higher speeds.

Thanks again guys.

Yamaha FJR1300A 2007
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hard to imagine what a slight twitch is, but I notice feedback from my tire tread pattern. Is it that subtle or is it more defined like someone knocking on the bar end? Is there a sharp pulse in the bar or a softer movement, like someone pushing with a finger?

2014 FJR1300A
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Metzlers

What tires did you install???

I had a twitch. Previous owner went with not specked tires. I went back to specked tires, Metzlers, and all is good. My front tire gets scalloped and then I get the twitch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page