Rolling front end twitch - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

2 things, if it were me iíd make sure that the steering head bearings are properly torqued, I just about bet theyíre not. That said I think ray has the proper diagnosis in that the rotors are not floating freely on the pins/rivets.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Twitch

Hi Guys.

Just an update on the twitch problem.

I put the bike on the centre stand and applied a ratchet strap to one fork leg so I could pull it hard over to the stop to stop any movement.

I raised the wheel off the ground and put a heavy metal plate under the wheel, I then put my dial gauge onto the metal plate and took a reading from the rim of the wheel, both sides, tis was fine with no run out of any note.

I then moved my dial gauge to the disks and rotated them also to see if there was any runout, this was done with the pads pushed all the way back for both exercises to reduce any drag, again all was running true with only very minor deflection.

I then span the wheel looking along the front edge and there was a definite distortion of the tyre a bulge could be seen quite clearly, how crazy is that..........
N4HHE likes this.

Yamaha FJR1300A 2007
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Rarely, folks report, and I experience, some pulsing under super light braking. Some mistake it for abs. I donít know what it is, but it is subtle, isnít related to abs, isnít indicitive of a problem, at least on my bike. Bar wag is a different issue entirely.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sounds like a belt might have broken in the tire carcass.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 05:00 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozza View Post

Definitions Like Butter = smooth Twitch = Small unprovoked movement or Tic.
Just Queen's english.

2016 YAMAHA FJR 1300AE
2007 YAMAHA XVS 1300A
2004 SUZUKI INTRUDER - Sold
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Cozza, thanks for the report back, sounds like you have a broken belt in that tire (tyre ?) , a little scary for a bike, what brand is that tire ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 03:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Rarely, folks report, and I experience, some pulsing under super light braking. Some mistake it for abs. I donít know what it is, but it is subtle, isnít related to abs, isnít indicitive of a problem, at least on my bike. Bar wag is a different issue entirely.
Something like that occurs on my FJR at low speeds. I can not reliably replicate, but it does feel like ABS but not as violent. Been over everything the past 5 front tires and concluded, ďthatís just the way it is.Ē
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via AIM to lagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozza View Post
Hi Guys.

Just an update on the twitch problem.

I put the bike on the centre stand and applied a ratchet strap to one fork leg so I could pull it hard over to the stop to stop any movement.

I raised the wheel off the ground and put a heavy metal plate under the wheel, I then put my dial gauge onto the metal plate and took a reading from the rim of the wheel, both sides, tis was fine with no run out of any note.

I then moved my dial gauge to the disks and rotated them also to see if there was any runout, this was done with the pads pushed all the way back for both exercises to reduce any drag, again all was running true with only very minor deflection.

I then span the wheel looking along the front edge and there was a definite distortion of the tyre a bulge could be seen quite clearly, how crazy is that..........
I recently had that with a car tyre, but it was a fairly cheap one. How old are your tyres and how many miles has the bike done
bounce likes this.

Past bikes; Honda 50 Suzuki 50 Yam XS250 Yam XJ650 Yam XJ 900 Honda CX650 Turbo Yam FJ1100 Yam FJ1200 (2) Honda ST1100 (2) Yam FJR1300 (5) 670,000 miles !

Current FJR 2018 AE in Support Stocking Grey - yuk
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Farkle Trainee

Sometimes I think the low speed vibes are transmitted from the tire tread hitting the road, other times I swear it had to be light ABS pulsing.

2014 FJR1300A
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 02:53 AM
Farkle Trainee

Hi cozza, here's one that I found on my 06fjr, if I take my hands off the bars at any speed I always got the wobbles in the front tyre, the only cure was to balance my front wheel with new tyre and rebalanced again at 10,000 km due to uneven tyre ware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page