FJR Owners Forum banner

4th gear noise

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Rusty2 
#1 ·
My 2005 has 17,000 miles on it and I bought it two years ago. I'd like to know if I should be concerned regarding this sound it has made in 4th gear since I bought it. It's a rhythmic "wah wah wah wah wah wah" sound that begins slowly at about 2500 rpm and repeats itself faster as the rpms rise. It disappears at around 5000rpm and no vibration is associated with this sound.
Any ideas as to what causes this? Is it simply nature of the beast or something that will eventually get worse and need attention?
Thanks for your input!

#2 ·
Rusty2,

Almost hate to ask, but what oil are you using there? Have you tried any other oil viscosities or brands before?
A helmet or earplugs might change what you hear, and when. (My 2008 sounds very different, wearing a helmet and/or using earplugs.)

Reactions: Rusty2
#3 ·
Are you absolutely certain that the noise only happens in 4th gear?? I have on occasion heard a noise as you describe, but it's the tires that do it, particularly if you have those nasty Bridgestones fitted, nothing to do with the engine or transmission.

#4 ·
Bernie and Red, thanks for the replies.. I can hear this noise with and with out ear plugs. Regarding oil, I would not think that a given oil would only produce a sound in one gear and yes I only hear it while in 4th. It's not just sometimes, but anytime I'm in 4th gear in the RPM range stated. The wah-wah-wah sound is heard both under constant load and during acceleration. Not sure if it's heard on deceleration... I've put 7,000 miles on the bike since I bought it and it doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it's still anoying. As for tires, I was running Dunlop Sportmax and now have the new Dunlop Road Smart III's with no change regarding the 4th gear sound.

#6 · (Edited)
I like that :smile2:
I'll let you know in 100,000.
If we were talk'n 5th gear, this might impact enjoyment, but it's just 4th. I can live with that. Besides, if I keep it over five grand I don't hear it anyway right? :wink2:

Reactions: philharmonic
#7 ·
To me it's normal. My '07 has two spots of resonance- about 40 in 3rd gear and 110 in fifth. "Rhythmic wah-wah-wah-wah" is a very good description of what it sounds/feels like. It's done since I bought it new. Brand of tire, balancing, brand of oil, weight of oil, blah, blah: nothing has ever changed it, not even using a car tire, not a different rear rim, nothing.

Fuggetabootit and ride on!!

Reactions: Rusty2
#8 ·
Fuggetabootit and ride on!![/QUOTE

Sounds like a good plan!

Thanks Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.