High-pitched electronic whine... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

High-pitched electronic whine...

My '16A is making a high-pitched electronic whine that I can hear when running (seemingly best heard around the rear of the tank area, though it's tough to pin down precisely where it's coming from), and I can vary the pitch via the electronic switch (i.e. knocks down a bit lower in tone if I hit and hold the switch to lower the windshield, for example). I plan to have the dealer look at it very shortly, before I put it away for frigid Seattle winter, as I figure I'd better have them check it out while it's still under its one-year warranty.

I'd like to go in informed, though...so does that high-pitched electronic whine sound like a familiar problem to anyone? It's not loud, per se, but it is noticable once you pick the sound up. The bike runs fine, no mechanical or electronic problems.
Victor Sierra likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Maybe the cooling fans? Maybe the fuel pump?

2012 Yamaha FJR1300A (Gen II) "Big Blue"
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I was wondering about the fuel pump...but would the pump be notably affected (lowers the pitch a bit) by the use of the rocker switch to lower/raise the windshield or adjust the grip warmers? As a test, I held down the switch, and the pitch of the tone audibly lowers as long as I depress the switch...when I stop depressing the switch, the tone goes back in pitch. Are the components tied together by the electrical load?

2016 FJR1300A

Last edited by RC65; 10-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 01:46 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have a 2016 and that does it, although to me it sounds like it coming from the front of the tank area. The dealer said it?s a relay?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 01:28 PM
FJR Top Gun

Its the fuel pump. it is normal for it to change pitch with electrical load on the system especially at idle when the stator is not putting out much amperes.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
I have a 2016 and that does it, although to me it sounds like it coming from the front of the tank area. The dealer said it?s a relay?
Yes, it could be the front of the tank. Very hard to pin down while the engine is running, but it's somewhere in the tank area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Its the fuel pump. it is normal for it to change pitch with electrical load on the system especially at idle when the stator is not putting out much amperes.
If it is the fuel pump, is it "normal," though, to be able to hear it over the engine? Granted, it's not loud, but does "normal" mean audible enough that my less than stellar hearing was able to pick up the sound of it over the engine noise while idling? This is my first FJR, so I'd be relieved to hear that a fuel pump whine is indeed somewhat audible over the engine if one is near the tank (or sitting on the bike)...it just seemed unusual enough that it sent up a red flag for this newbie owner. I've not had that experience with my other bikes.

2016 FJR1300A
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:25 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

High-pitched electronic whine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
If it is the fuel pump, is it "normal," though, to be able to hear it over the engine? Granted, it's not loud, but does "normal" mean audible enough that my less than stellar hearing was able to pick up the sound of it over the engine noise while idling? This is my first FJR, so I'd be relieved to hear that a fuel pump whine is indeed somewhat audible over the engine if one is near the tank (or sitting on the bike)...it just seemed unusual enough that it sent up a red flag for this newbie owner. I've not had that experience with my other bikes.
RC,

I have a 2008. I hear a high-pitched whine briefly, when I turn on the ignition key. It is the fuel pump. Mine runs a few seconds, then cuts off, because the fuel system is now up to pressure. I do not start the engine until the fuel pump cuts off, with the key ON. If your fuel pump runs continuously when the engine is working, that may be a fuel system problem. If you can not compare it to a similar FJR near you, it may need a trip to the dealership for a better opinion. Fuel pumps usually are not built to run continuously, and excess heat there may be dangerous. Bag an assistant with better hearing, if needed, to check out this issue. My hearing is very good, and I never hear the fuel pump running steadily while the engine is running.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Does the fuel pump sound normal when you turn the key to the on position? Maybe try key on several times. I always thought the fuel pump runs continuously after engine start. If that's true and the noise is coming from the fuel pump then you should hear it at idle I would think.

2010 FJR1300A / primo '93 R1100RSL

Last edited by JamesW; 10-15-2017 at 07:29 PM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:51 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
RC,

Mine runs a few seconds, then cuts off, because the fuel system is now up to pressure. I do not start the engine until the fuel pump cuts off, with the key ON. If your fuel pump runs continuously when the engine is working, that may be a fuel system problem.
Fuel pumps usually are not built to run continuously, and excess heat there may be dangerous.
Red. you are wrong on all counts here.
When you turn the key on the fuel pump starts because the ECU tell is to prime the system. It shuts off because the ECU has a timer function for the fuel pump when the engine is not running. Its a common practice when trying to start an EFI engine after running out of gas to cycle the key several times to get the fuel pump to prime the system. There is no pressure switch on the fuel pump to turn it off. It uses a fuel pressure regulator to regulate pressure on the running pump

Fuel pumps run continuously while the engine is running. They are designed that way. They have to run continuously to supply fuel at pressure to the injectors or the engine will not run. They are also designed to run while submerged in gasoline. It has been that way since the late 80s. .Up to 60psi fuel pumps have been in the tanks of millions of cars and trucks.
philharmonic, Teehaml and Brian20 like this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Quote:
Fuel pumps run continuously while the engine is running. They are designed that way. They have to run continuously to supply fuel at pressure to the injectors or the engine will not run.
mobilemike: Again, though, does a fuel pump volume that allows one to hear it above the engine noise when one is near the tank or seated on the bike indicate an problematic issue? Or is that just part-and-parcel of the FJR's sound? Note that it is just slightly more than the engine noise...if the engine noise if 6 out of 10, then the fuel pump would be a 7...that is, just slightly louder, just enough to pick it up with proximity to the apparent source (the tank area).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
Does the fuel pump sound normal when you turn the key to the on position?
It does, yes. It's also appropriately silent if I let it just sit a couple seconds between its start-up priming noises and actual ignition.

2016 FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page